Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Cadence technique revisited

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have been trying to increase my cadence. I know it makes you more efficient and go faster, easier on knees, but I'm frustrated

Yes, I'm old (58) but in good shape, not overweight, ride 25-35 miles comfortably, do about 75 weekly - but spinning faster then a 70 average is not happening. I can spin at 80-90 on downhills but at 90 my hips start bouncing... on uphills I drop to 60.

My question is should I have my heels up or down in the down pedal stroke for more power or does it make a difference??

Any tips or maybe what others are doing, to encourage me?

Thanks
    Sally
    LIVE, PLAY, EAT, SLEEP, REPEAT

It may just be the way your fast twitch (white meat) to slow twitch (dark meat) fiber proportion works.

I am always pedalling at less than 70. That's where I'm happy. Slow twitch zone.

In track-n-field I always ran long distance, and set lovely records. I truly s*cked at sprints. Again, slow twitch zone.

I can side-stroke and froggie-kick my way across vast bodies of water, but can't crawl or flutter-kick to save my life. Slow twitch zone.

If 70 feels good, and 90 is miserable even after giving it the ol' college try; it just might be the way the good Lord intended you to pedal.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

thanks Knot,

guess I'm a slow twitcher... the important part is having fun, right? I don't know who I'm competing with anyway

PS. ordered my Surly, I'll post when she comes in and I start building. Turns out my LBS can get Surly, Yeah! no internet shopping and saves a trip to Seattle.
    Sally

What color are you getting?

(and how soon can you post pictures? )
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I think there's really two things, though. I'm sure different people are comfortable at different cadences. But if you're starting to bounce at what you consider a high cadence, I think it means your pedal stroke isn't smooth at any cadence. Back in the day I used to do cadence intervals on rollers. I'd go in 10 rpm intervals all the way up to 150 rpm, sometimes 160. The more I worked at it, the higher I could go without bouncing. Obviously I'd never maintain a cadence that high in real riding, but it made me MUCH smoother at any RPM. I think cadence work is valuable for anyone, for that reason, regardless of whether it changes what RPM is comfortable for you.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Not to be a copy-cat but I got Black...it is just too sexy!

I've got a honey colored Team Pro S Brooks, Brooks Honey leather grips (I'm putting on Soma Sparrow 49 bars) and some totally cool wood fenders
    http://www.woodysfenders.com/store/i...products_id=21

Checking on price for the Campy Mirage... maybe
    Sally

oakleaf,
    Lookes like I hijacked my own thread with new bike news...oops

Thanks for the advise, always thought I had a nice spin, but I probably need to get on the trainer and spin... or I've lost my "motion".
    Sally