Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

carrying license

To disable ads, please log-in.

After reading the posts, I have decided that it is a good idea to have my license, Road ID, insurance information, etc. with me when I go riding, hiking, or kayaking. I'm going to get the sewing kit out and make a crazy-wild, bright multi-purpose pouch that will inspire me to get in the habit.
    I never anticipated the officer's question since I wasn't in my car.
    If I am ever injured or in crisis, these forms of identification will help others help me.
    If I ever come across anyone who needs my assistance, then I would appreciate the access to information. The confusion and frustration will be lessened.
    Thanks guys!
    Barb

Found this on http://www.flexyourrights.org/freque...d_questions#07 :

7. When do I have to show ID?

This is a tricky issue. As a general principle, citizens who are minding their own business are not obligated to "show their papers" to police. In fact, there is no law requiring citizens to carry identification of any kind.

Nonetheless, carrying an ID is required when you’re driving or flying. Driving without a license is a crime, and no one is allowed to board an airplane without first presenting an ID. These requirements have been upheld on the premise that individuals who prefer not to carry ID can choose not to drive or fly.

From here, ID laws only get more complicated. In Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, the Supreme Court upheld state laws requiring citizens to disclose their identity to police when officers have reasonable suspicion to believe criminal activity may be taking place. Commonly known as 'stop and identify' statutes, these laws permit police to arrest criminal suspects who refuse to identify themselves.

Currently the following states have stop and identify laws: AL, AR, CO, DE, FL, GA, IL, KS, LA, MO, MT, NE, NH, NM, NV, NY, ND, RI, UT, VT, WI

Regardless of your state's law, keep in mind that police can never compel you to identify yourself without reasonable suspicion to believe you're involved in criminal activity. Rather than asking the officer if he/she has reasonable suspicion, test it yourself by asking if you're free to go.

If the officer says you’re free to go, leave immediately and refrain from answering any additional questions.

If the officer detains you, you'll have to decide whether withholding your identity is worth the possibility of arrest or a prolonged detention. In cases of mistaken identity, revealing who you are might help to resolve the situation quickly. On the other hand, if you're on parole in California, for example, revealing your identity could lead to a legal search. Knowing your state's laws can help you make the best choice.

Keep in mind that the officer's decision to detain you will not always hold up in court. ‘Reasonable suspicion' is a vague evidentiary standard, which lends itself to mistakes on the officer's part. If you're searched or arrested following an officer's ID request, always contact an attorney to discuss the incident and explore your legal options.
    Paige

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

In Manhattan, it is the law to have a bell or horn & light when riding. You are not allowed to ride on the sidewalk. You can get fined for all of these. So if you get stopped for one of these reasons, they person will be asked for an id and if he doesn't have it, he or she will be taken in. The rookies need to get summons and arrests under their belt so need less to say, they will act on these.

~ JoAnn

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I'm no lawyer, don't even pretend to play one on t.v.
    But...
    TexanCzexican noted that some states have laws that require "citizens to disclose their identity to police when officers have reasonable suspicion to believe criminal activity may be taking place."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if you did do something against the law on your bike, aren't those CIVIL infractions, and not CRIMINAL?
    Running a red light on your bike = civil
    Using your bike to purse snatch = criminal.
    Yes??

Regardless....I carry my ID only because I want someone to be able to identify my body if I should buy the farm on a ride. And I carry my insurance card so they'll have what they need if I survive and end up in a hospital. Warped, perhaps, but ....c'est la vie.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

In the province of Quebec, Canada, infractions on the public roadway caused by a cyclist can result in "penalty points" on that cyclist's driving record (if the person has a driving record). Not sure what happens to those who don't have one.

I did not have a driver's licence until I was 24. In Quebec that never caused me problems but I have had issues in other provinces/states where it seemed impossible that a grown-up human being would not produce a DL when asked for ID... *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    I usually carry my license as ID on longer rides. Having said this, there's a big lawsuit going on in Wyoming, Montana or Colorado (I forget). Some cowboy got into an altercation along the side of the road. He was NOT driving. The police stopped asked for his driver's license and he either didn't have it or wouldn't show it and they took him to jail. He says that since he wasn't driving he didn't need it. I got into a big discussion with a group of men and women. Most of the women said if they were out walking they did NOT carry a license and the guys tended to think you needed to have it. There's no law (yet) that says you have to carry ID in this country but police don't necessarily care.

OK, I agree with the premise that you don't need to carry and DL if you are riding your bike because you are not driving. I used to carry it just for ID purposes before I got my Road ID and I need it to use my credit card (please see ID). But police officers generally ask for some sort of ID...and may accidently say DL just because usually this is what is given. For the guy in WY or MT...the officers needed to identify him and he was brought to jail because they didn't have any positive ID on him. People lie all the time about who they are. If they could not fine some sufficient evidence about who he was, yes, they will arrest him and take photos and fingerprints to establish a base identification or determine if he is using another persons identification.

Not that I have been lied to before in my job...

I carry DL, a little cash, credit card, health insurance card, auto/property insurance card. I've also written some info in sharpie on the emergency info label inside my helmet (name, emergency contact & number, blood type, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by aicabsolut View Post
    I carry DL, a little cash, credit card, health insurance card, auto/property insurance card. I've also written some info in sharpie on the emergency info label inside my helmet (name, emergency contact & number, blood type, etc).
    Huh. Emergency label inside the helmet. Another great idea.

I was thinking about just photocopying my license/insurance card so I won't have to take it out of my wallet (and risk forgetting to put it back in) when I go for a ride. I'm sure this would be sufficient to ID me and assure medical care if I were in an accident... But I'm now wondering if it would be considered odd/suspicious, if for some reason I were to be asked for ID while riding, as Barb was when she reported dangerous drivers, and I produced a photocopy of my license instead of the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by liza View Post
    Probably not, usually ID in the context you're describing has to be government-issued.

Southernbelle, I like your idea of carrying an expired DL in your seatbag. Then you have your government ID but you never have to worry about getting caught with your ID not in your wallet... (I was recently buying dinner goodies for bf's birthday, mousse cake was outside in the hot car, and was prevented from buying champagne bc my id was in my bike wallet. I'm 27 for heaven's sake -- not anywhere near underage. Let's say I was slightly put out).

In AZ our DL's are good for like 30 years, so it would be quite awhile before I'd get a new one!

In most states traffic infractions are "quasi-criminal" in nature. Fines and jail time are punitive. Here in Tennessee driving on revoked is an automatic 2 days in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Running Mommy View Post
    In AZ our DL's are good for like 30 years, so it would be quite awhile before I'd get a new one!
    I got mine when I was sixteen and vowed I wouldn't get a new one till I got old so I always had that picture, well I moved and had to give it up. I thought it was a good idea, but I know people who's IDs wore out on them after a few years.

I use to carry my DL with me until I got my road ID. I kept forgetting to put it back in my purse. Now I wear my road ID and take my cell phone in case of emergency.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Stop and identify laws do not mean you are required to show photo identification. You must provide your name. Of course, it isn't going to do you any good if you lie, but you don't have to have your ID on you. However, if you DO have it with you, it might be wise to show it. In contrast, in Europe, you are required to carry an official ID around with you, and this applies to visitors. You may be stopped for any reason and asked to produce identification. Not that I've ever seen this done, but it's legal.

As for conduct on your bicycle and criminal activity, the two don't have to be related. Perhaps a perp was seen on or with a certain bike. Perhaps you're in street clothes riding around on your commuter and something about you matches the description of someone they are looking for in your area. Those are legit reasons to stop you under suspicion of criminal activity, and it has nothing to do with whether you broke any traffic laws or whatnot. Traffic laws are not civil infractions, but they are crimes in that they involve fines or other punishments and are enforced by the government. They aren't civil actions just because you won't get carted off to jail for running a stop sign.

I have always carried one backpacking, but never riding unless I have my whole wallet to go to the store. I probably should as I often ride alone. I do carry my cell phone and some money.

I carry expired DL in saddlebag along with road ID on ankle. If I go down, there are no gaurantes that my bike will be close to me, so I want ID with contact info on me, and ID on my bike so that it will get back to me.

For those who wear ID on your shoe, keep in mind that in an accident, shoes are often separated from the body...particularly when the shoes are locked in...

That's why I bought the ankle ID...
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers