Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Summer's here..almost

To disable ads, please log-in.

Oh dear,

The past couple of days have been hot & humid. Well, ok my idea of hot...and it was only around 25-31c...and only to get hotter.

Would love to know your suggestions about commuting in the heat.

I have two full water bottles with me & not only drink but pour alot on my legs..in error & on purpose. My commute is 30km's so i think that's enough water..

Do you wear a headband type item under your helmet? Any thoughts on if vaseline on your forehead is better?

ATM I wear http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/produc...N&category=ACC but even find it a bit too hot under my helmet.

I have a small backpack/hydration pack and am wondering if the heat from this will just make me more miserable during the summer.

Bike shorts..and jerseys...I think i'm going to spend a bit of time wandering TE today..(BTW is nashbar like TE??? Who are nashbar??? I checked out thier site this morning.)

When looking for a summer bike jersey, what exactly should i be looking for??
    '(can't wait to wear my amici veloci jersey...)

Thanks
    c

Nashbar is owned by Performance -- the WalMarts of the bike biz. I highly recommend you patronize your local bike shop instead of Nashbar or Performance. They're quickly putting lots of LBSs out of business in our neck of the woods -- the little guys just can't compete.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Oh dear,

The past couple of days have been hot & humid. Well, ok my idea of hot...and it was only around 25-31c...and only to get hotter.

Would love to know your suggestions about commuting in the heat.

I have two full water bottles with me & not only drink but pour alot on my legs..in error & on purpose. My commute is 30km's so i think that's enough water..

Do you wear a headband type item under your helmet? Any thoughts on if vaseline on your forehead is better?

I have a small backpack/hydration pack and am wondering if the heat from this will just make me more miserable during the summer.

Bike shorts..and jerseys...I think i'm going to spend a bit of time wandering TE today..(BTW is nashbar like TE??? Who are nashbar??? I checked out thier site this morning.)

When looking for a summer bike jersey, what exactly should i be looking for??
    '(can't wait to wear my amici veloci jersey...)

Thanks
    c
    Hey, CC,

I wear a Headsweats under my helmet during the warmer months. It is a lightweight skullcap, but has a wicking material that keeps sweat out of the eyes. They look similiar to this: http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=13841.

I too, commute with a backpack that has a hydration bladder in it. I love it. Some don't like the sweat on their backs that the pack tends to generate, but I figure I am going to sweat anyway! Plus I like having the extra water with me.

Bike shorts, I just use the usual Pearl Isumi that I usually ride in. I am most comfortable in them anyway. The only thing I can suggest is to watch for sweat generated chaffing and apply chamois cream if needed.

Jersey, well, for commuting I tend to go for lightweight wicking shirts instead of a jersey. Although, during the week's laundry rotation a jersey will find its' way on my back. Any of the summer shortsleeved jerseys should work well for you, or even a sleeveless. I am sun-sensitive, so I go for the short sleeved. Oh, and the Amici Veloci does work well!

Good luck with your summer commuting! It is a load of fun.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X