Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question from Newbie - what do you wear

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi - Found this wonderful forum for women cyclists. This is what I have been looking for!!

This coming winter is my first as a cyclist and I am getting ready for it. I live in MD and winter here is cold enough to make me think "hmm, what should I wear when I cruise in the cold winter??" I met some femal cyclists through a local bike shop and based on their recommendation, I have purchased a decent set of winter cycling clothes.

A couple of them told me that they wear a pair of pantyhose under their cycling pants in a colder condition. It sounds like a good idea but I hate wearing them even off the bike!

Do you wear them? Would you recommend that? Any other suggestions for colder days? Any comments would be greatly appreciated by this newbie!!

July

I live in the bay area so it's probably not getting as cold out here as it does where you are. However, I can tell you what works for me when it gets down to 40 oF or so. I typically wear a pair of cycling tights without the chamois underneath a pair of cycling shorts. To that I add a jersey, arm warmers, headcover (ie doorag) underneath my helmet and long finger gloves underneath my cycling gloves. That works down to about 50-55 oF. When it gets colder than that, I'll put on a thermal vest or a cycling jacket with long sleeves. I've found that as long as I keep moving, this kind of setup works pretty well.

You may want to consider neoprene booties to keep your toes warm. My brother who lives in NYC says he has to have these for winter riding

Quote Originally Posted by julypace View Post
    A couple of them told me that they wear a pair of pantyhose under their cycling pants in a colder condition. It sounds like a good idea but I hate wearing them even off the bike!
    Never, ever heard of anyone doing this. Tights yes, but pantyhose?? No thanks.

I like cycling tights over cycling shorts, Smartwool socks, a long-sleeved jersey, wind jacket, full-finger cycling gloves, and an ear band or beanie for cold-weather riding. Depending on the temperatures and if it's going to warm up during a ride, I'll use easily convertible gear like leg warmers and arm warmer with cycling shorts and a short-sleeve jersey, so I can peel off easily. Maybe a wind vest too, and an earband, but regular half-finger gloves.

Ultimately, you have to experiment to find out what works for you in what conditions, since some people are colder natured than others. It's warmer riding hills (at least the up-side!) than flats, too. And if it's windy and/or overcast, it will feel cooler than if the sun is shining or there's no wind.

Good luck, and welcome to TE!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Never, ever heard of anyone doing this. Tights yes, but pantyhose?? No thanks.

I like cycling tights over cycling shorts, Smartwool socks, a long-sleeved jersey, wind jacket, full-finger cycling gloves, and an ear band or beanie for cold-weather riding. Depending on the temperatures and if it's going to warm up during a ride, I'll use easily convertible gear like leg warmers and arm warmer with cycling shorts and a short-sleeve jersey, so I can peel off easily. Maybe a wind vest too, and an earband, but regular half-finger gloves.

Ultimately, you have to experiment to find out what works for you in what conditions, since some people are colder natured than others. It's warmer riding hills (at least the up-side!) than flats, too. And if it's windy and/or overcast, it will feel cooler than if the sun is shining or there's no wind.

Good luck, and welcome to TE!

Emily

I guess if you can't afford tights, the panty hose might help a LITTLE
    but if you're strapped for cash, i say buy some rainpants, they don't breath
    but they'll help keep you warm and dry (unless you work really hard and then you'll sweat in them)

I wear full handed gloves and if it's really cold (below 45 I'll wear fluffy fleece gloves over them)
    and lots and lots of wool
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Pantyhose?? YOu couldn't PAY me to wear them, or buy them!

Ok, you say you bought some winter biking clothes, but you don't say what you got- that doesn't help us much.
    In any case- for your legs in the cold, you could do several things:
    Wear regular chamois shorts and then some non-chamois cold weather biking tights (footless) over that.
    or wear non-chamois footless tights or leggings under some chamois biking shorts or chamois biking tights.
    Or wear some chamois biking tights with leg warmers you can peel off when you get warmed up.
    other than legs- wear wool socks (SmartWool socks are thin and warm) and wear some smartwool or 100%merino thin longsleeve base layer crew neck polos under whatever windbreaker or jacket or warm vest you choose. Wear either one or two wool base layer tops, and you can remove one mid-ride if you get too warm.

The trick is to wear several thin warm layers that you can take off as needed and then roll up small and strap to your bike and keep peddling.
    100% THIN merino wool is really good- it's warm but breathes and wicks away sweat and generally it doesn't get underarm odor until worn several times over. A thin wool under-helmet liner head beanie is good too.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi -

Thank you all for taking the time to post your comments! Really appreciated

I rode with those ladies yasterday afternoon and talked about their idea. They said they got the idea from some cycling magazine a few years ago. The article stated that many pros in Europe (men and women) wear a pair of "high end" pantyhose during winter. In addition to "added warmth", they "massage" the legs and encourage a better blood circulation. The ladies since then have been wearing Spanx during winter and they seemed happy with the result.. They said one issue with the idea is the seam

I have got long fleece tights, long sleeve shirts and a wind blocker jacket so far. Per your suggestion, I should get long fingered gloves, themal underwear, shoe covers, cap..... ugrrrr

julypace, Until I got my knee warmers I was wearing 80denier black pantyhose... same as what we're FORCED to wear to high school here.

I remembered they were OK for warmth in school, not fantastic. Which is just what I needed as it wasn't that cold this year.

Can't go commando if you're wearing pantihose though...

If you're riding in really cold weather forget em and go with the leg warmers/longs
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

Quote Originally Posted by julypace View Post
    They said one issue with the idea is the seam
    That's the first thing I started wondering about when I read your first post; this would be a deal killer for me.

Every cyclist has her own tolerance for cold, so you'll have to do some trial and error. And you may not need cycling-specific stuff, either (which tends to be, IMHO, overpriced) -- a lot of cold-weather running gear can work, and it's usually less expensive.

Remember that you should be just a bit uncomfortably chilly when you start your ride; then when you warm up, things will be just right. If you're toasty warm when you start, then you'll be sweating midway into the ride, and then you'll *really* start feeling the cold!

I'm in Maryland, too. I like to wear an UnderArmour "cold" top next to my skin. They are pricey, but they really work. I'll put a wicking long-underwear turtleneck top on next, and then a fairly light-weight jacket. (If it's really fierce, I may add a wicking long-sleeved running shirt.) Bottoms are just normal-weight fleece-lined tights over shorts (but I have been thinking about getting some heavier tights -- my thighs sometimes get cold when it's really bad out.) A thin balaclava under my helmet; if it's really cold, then a more substantial ear-covering headband. (Although I find them aggravating! They never seem to stay where I want on my forehead.) Long-fingered cycling gloves, but not too heavy -- the thinner, wind-resistant type. My feet are my weak point in winter, although wool socks and toe covers will take me pretty far. I finally broke down and bought another pair of shoes, two sizes larger, so I that can wear several pairs of socks. For feet (and hands), tight is no good in the cold.

If you need just a tiny bit more warmth than tights, I have to say that panty hose work pretty well. I actually put them OVER my biking shorts, then put on my biking tights, which are normally warm enough on their own, but not if it's much below 20 F, or there's really bad wind chill. As long as you've got the bike shorts next to your skin, then you really don't have to worry about the seam of the p.hose. They also add one more thin layer to what's on your feet without taking up much extra room in the shoes. I put them on OVER my wool socks, tho'. More comfortable that way. Looks totally dorky!! Panyhose over bike shorts and socks! You don't want a visual! But if it keeps me warm, I don't care. I'm sure there are more high tech solutions, but this works, its cheap, and you don't even have to worry about runs in the hose. Who's gonna see 'em?

annie

I use the same method for x-country skiing, or hiking, when the temps are really cold.
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Check out his website: http://www.assos.com/en/womens/
    I swear by Assos gear. It is expensive but I really don't care anymore because it is the best. You will find their winter collection to get some ideas. Some men's sizes fit women as well. For example if you wear an XS jersey you can safely purchase Small in men's.
    Good luck!

Toes and fingers are my big problems. For the feet, I wear toe warmers (the kind you wear for skiing) along with the shoe covers. For the hands I have lobster gloves (like mittens except they're split so 2 fingers are together).

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    What I don't like about Assos is that they show all their clothes on a model who is 5'8" and 125 pounds (that's the information they themselves state about the model). So few women are shaped that way. I wish they would show the clothing on a slightly more average sized woman- it might look very different on a 5'4" 140 pound woman. I feel safer buying when the model doesn't look like a starving giraffe.

Hmm...I'd be nervous going Commando in those white shorts! But then again- that model probably gets waxed there every week.... YeOW-chee!!!!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    What I don't like about Assos is that they show all their clothes on a model who is 5'8" and 125 pounds (that's the information they themselves state about the model). So few women are shaped that way. I wish they would show the clothing on a slightly more average sized woman- it might look very different on a 5'4" 140 pound woman. I feel safer buying when the model doesn't look like a starving giraffe.
    Actually, their model looks great. However, if you apply logic you can easily figure out what you need. There is a sizing chart which is very useful. As an example, I am 5'6, 114 pound, I buy Small in Assos. It fit perfectly.

WOW! The number of replies has grown so much over night!! Thank you all so much for your sound advice

So, there are some cyclists who have taken this idea elsewhere. I am not a real hard core cyclist yet. I am not sure at this point, how often I would be out there riding my bike in winter so before spending hundreds of dollars on those expensive winter clothes, I shall try the cheap trick. As Maxine said, I shall find my torelance this winter and go from there.

annie - any particular brand (s) and / or type (s)?

Thanks again!!

July

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    LOL - yep your right I have an Assos jersey and its pretty fitted. All my other jerseys are medium but in the Assos I needed a large. Im 5'4" 126 pounds and lets just say if I add a few pounds that jersey sure wont be getting used. IMO if you dont like the super fitted look steer clear of the Assos Jerseys.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V