Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by slinkedog
    I got the impression, from reading the article, that this is only talking about kids with summer birthdays... not kids who are still 4 when school starts.
    I watched in my son's kindergarten class, last year, the kids who were failing in the class and they were very cognizant of the fact that they were behind. I felt sorry for them because they often looked forlorn and confused. I also have an issue with "having them waste a year of their productive life." Not sure what's he's trying to say, but I see playing and being a little kid as a very productive and good thing!!
    exactlly! that's what small children should be doing. PLAYING!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Thanks to you all for the comments.

We're still mulling this one over. I can see benefits of both grades. My daughter now says repeatedly that she wants to go to 5K (Kindergarten). We had pretty much decided to keep her in 4k. Aargh. We head to BR for a house hunting trip at the end of next week. We're going to go to the school and discuss the situation with them. She's very mature (socially, too) for her age. As I've said before, I think she could handle it. Something still is keeping me from going forward though. I wish I could place it. We still have a month or so to agonize over it, so if you care to discuss it further, I'll listen.
    Elizabee (age 5) at the doctor's office: "I can smell sickness in here...I smell the germs"

Something still is keeping me from going forward though. I wish I could place it.
    Then maybe you shouldn't. You get in less trouble if you listen to yourself, even if you don't know the 'whys.'

Eventually you'll figure it out.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Kitsune06 Guest
    Mimi-
    Do you think it'd be to your and your sons' benefit to home-school, then, until they're old enough to endure the long periods of quiet studying?

I'm just really curious because I've never really seen much home schooling, and childrens' development seems so fragile in some ways. You'd want proper academic growth and foundation, but also to make sure your kids were developing socially the way they would in regular public (or private) school...

The only home-schooled kids I know of were home-schooled in very, uh, restrictive and conservative households. Both girls were introduced to Public High School Freshman year. One was a total outcast, completely socially inept, but admirably stuck with it, and her little sister freaked out after 6 or so months and had to go back to home schooling.

I personally believe in the benefit of spending a lot of time with one's kids, but I can't pretend I'd know the first thing about actually raising kids...

Quote Originally Posted by fishdr
    Thanks to you all for the comments.

We're still mulling this one over. I can see benefits of both grades. My daughter now says repeatedly that she wants to go to 5K (Kindergarten). We had pretty much decided to keep her in 4k. Aargh. We head to BR for a house hunting trip at the end of next week. We're going to go to the school and discuss the situation with them. She's very mature (socially, too) for her age. As I've said before, I think she could handle it. Something still is keeping me from going forward though. I wish I could place it. We still have a month or so to agonize over it, so if you care to discuss it further, I'll listen.
    Well, she's a good age if you decide to. Worst comes to worst, she does kindergarten twice. That's not so bad.