Well, I've been looking for a trailbike with around 5" of travel. 3.5" of travel is sometimes not enough. I love my Giant Anthem, but I've been on more technical rides and am getting pounded a bit so I decided to look into my dream bikes.

Reality is, they don't fit.

I spent all last Sunday going to all the local LBSs, to check out Trek, Ibis, Turner, Santa Cruz, Cannondale, Giant, Pivot and others. Trying to lower the weight below 26lbs, raise the travel and not break the bank while finding something that fits is quite a challenge. I really want an Ibis, but even the small left no margin for error in an emergency hop-off. So I X'd that with a tear. Giant Trance-X, plenty of standover, but a little heavy unless I go carbon and there goes the budget. Pivot- could not find a small to try, and as the fork uses 15qr it leaves out the use of my favorite wheelset. Cannondale, too big, shucks. My standover is 27.5". Santa Cruz, too big. Turner, very nice but there goes that budget again.

I'm about to give up when I happen on Specialized. The Safire, to be exact. Ok, their bottom model is ALU but at least I can stand over it! The small feels great too but I can't find the carbon 'Expert' model, and I would like to see it before going like a grand over budget! It's like 4500 bucks.

So last place I go is a big Specialized dealer near home. No he does not have a carbon Safire either. No 09 model deals (and how often do we small women get lucky with those?). But, Specialized has 7 small 08 Safires left at more than 1/2 off. Ok, check the specs, same frame, Sram X0/XTR- oh gosh it's an S-Works. Marta SL Carbon brakes, Thomson. Newer ones have Avid brakes no biggie. Color change no biggie. I don't care about model year I like the blue color. Good dealer, good support. $3500 otd sounds great to me! So finally I am happy! Just gotta wait for the BBT to deliver the new baby from SPEC. Deep down inside I still want an Ibis, but finding an S-Works dulls the hurt some