Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

How to Dismount Safely Going Uphill??

I have a Trek FX 7.3 WSD, and have ridden up a couple of .2 mile long streets which were extremely steep. In part the reason I was able to get to the top is because I feared that if I stopped, mid-hill, that the bike & I might flip over backwards, or at least I would fall trying to dismount. I did make it to the top and it was very difficult (I'm very fit), but there may come a time when I can't make it to the top and have to stop and dismount. Any ideas or thoughts? Maybe I won't fall....maybe it's my imagination. Are my fears founded in reality or ???

Do you ride with clipless pedals? Do you stand up and pedal?

If you're sitting, clipped in, I guess there is a point on a very steep hill where it would be difficult to stop and unclip without overbalancing backwards. I only get this when trailriding, every now and then I can't make a short steep incline. But I'm virtually always standing at that point, which makes it a lot easier to move my weight forward over my feet. Unclip fast, put a foot down, lean forward, let my bike lean over if it has to.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

hill

I go up short hills like that and there are ways and means of getting up without having to dismount. I like to practice for when i do dirt & often just sit in the saddle on the roadie when I encounter some sort of hill.

Why not shift your weight around in smidgen bits? When you're going up the steepest part of the hill do as mountain bikers do "boobs to de tube" and keep moving.

Engage your core muscles & don't hold onto your handlebars for dear life. Don't worry about how slow you go as the hill will end soon enough.

Yes, I definitely engage the core and thank goodness for all the core work I've done. Excellent tips. Thank you both.

I guess it depends where you ride.
    If you have enough space, it helps to position your bike in an angle to the hill you are climbing and then dismount on the side that is "higher" on the hill (more uphill) - this way you stand "above" your bike when dismounting and aren't in danger of flipping over (I'm not sure if I did a good job describing what I mean).
    If you are in a steep singletrail where there is no space to reposition your bike, you can use your brakes to get more grip so you can hold onto the bike while dismounting.

I can't remember any occasion where I was in danger of flipping over backwards, but it can be an issue to have enough standover-height when you have to dismount in difficult terrain.

@Susan, that's an excellent idea! These hills are in quiet neighborhoods on public streets that are asphalt or cement(?). I understand what you are saying, now I just have to remember it. I think I will practice on some lesser hills.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    I can't remember any occasion where I was in danger of flipping over backwards, but it can be an issue to have enough standover-height when you have to dismount in difficult terrain.
    Once in a while when i'm going up the steep hill back to my house (which is virtually at the end of every ride I take, D'OH!!!) my front wheel lifts up off the pavement for a moment while I'm climbing and it always catches me unawares and scares the Dickens out me! lol!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    . . .
    If you have enough space, it helps to position your bike in an angle to the hill you are climbing and then dismount on the side that is "higher" on the hill (more uphill) - this way you stand "above" your bike when dismounting . . .
    Susan, thx for sharing this tip. I've never ridden a hill so steep that I feared flipping over backwards but I have sometimes gone so slowly that it was hard to control the bike (I guess that happens at 2 miles an hour!). I've had a few occasions when I've lost my balance when I stop mid-hill but I think your suggestion will help quite a bit.
    2003 Trek 7500FX/standard saddle
    2006 Trek Pilot 2.1/Serfas cutout saddle

Hi and thanks for responding. At this point I have platform pedals, so clipping in/out isn't an issue. I am sitting and leaning way forward. I think it's more just a fear than a reality. I could try it sometime, but usually I'm trying to keep myself going as a challenge to myself.
    Thanks again.