Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Assoc. Bicycle & Pedestrian Profess.-cycling survey on women & girls

http://www.apbp.org/?page=Home

Association of Bicycle and Pedestrian Professionals is surveying women and girls about factors that influence their cycling or decision not to cycle.

Some useful questions are asked with respect on perspectives on desired cycling infrastructure, personal reasons that influence cycling and non-cycling, etc.

I did the survey. Survey open until May 15/10. There is a webinar presentation end of Mar. about this project.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I took it too, maybe took 10-15 minutes. Good questions, good cause, worth your time.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been."

http://www.loveofbikes.com

I completed the survey, but I was surprised at what seemed to be very sexist assumptions. On the whole, why should the needs of women be different from the needs of men? And how could an organization which makes sexist assumptions hope to accomplish anything other than making women howl with laughter?

On another topic, I did a cursory search of this organization's site (using their search engine) and turned up not one reference to kick scooters. This was highly amusing since one of their survey questions asked how people reacted to me as a cyclist -- they should ask how cyclists react to a serious Xootr rider.

Pam, I haven't taken the survey yet, but intend to. Regarding the sexist questions, from what I have read regarding cyclists' activities, apparently there is quite a distinction between the sexes particularly in recreational riders. Here's an example: apparently women prefer to ride through residential neighborhoods and off of arterial roads entirely. Men, on the other hand (keeping in mind we are talking about recreational riders), are more comfortable using bike lanes on more arterial roads. Women casual riders are more likely than men to ride on sidewalks and they are more likely to have children with them and thus prefer to choose a less aggressive route. I found this info when I was looking up bicycle laws in Co and Wy... I can't cite exact sources, but maybe someone else can. Anyway, that's probably why there are such obviously sexist questions...

I took the survey and was somewhat amused by the assumption that I was this timid little thing with special needs. Nobody who knows me would use either timid or little to describe me. When I was done, a screen flashed up which made me wonder if they thought I was a man answering the questions - and thus would ignore my input.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

i got that screen too... I figured it was just telling men (after they had wasted their time) that their answers wouldn't be included in the survey (in the first question they asked if you were male or female - why wouldn't they have that man notifier there???)

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    So are you saying that anyone whose answers are not 'girly' enough is assumed to be a man and gets their input thrown out?

...and what the heck is a 'pedestrian professional'?
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The survey gives you opportunity to answer also as an experienced cyclist and factors that keep you cycling, plus also suggestions for improving certain areas of cycling infrastructure.

Maybe it's better to consider first in your community/region, on the whole, does there tend to be alot more men cycling or it's evenly balanced..just based on regular cycling around the city?

If it's sexist, say so in the survey. And suggest how to improve the language of survey/thrust of the survey.

There are also a whole group of women not here, not in our cycling groups, who fear cycling for looking "clumsy", feeling incompetent, dirty/too sweaty, etc.

and over and over, I get so many comments to me in person over the years, that people don't feel safe on the roads. Some of it is justified since they live out in the suburbs near busy roads, no cycling infrastructure nearby, etc.I already sent this survey to several other women who aren't cyclists but would like to bike more but there several barriers. They found the survey interesting. It provoked some discussion on bike routes/lack of and jokes about 'helmet hair'.

I do think there is a huge group of women who 'want to look good' when exercising/cycling which of course, makes no sense. Worry about their appearance....more than alot of men. I'm only tiny sympathetic to such women..particularily those who want to lose weight but aren't willing to realize that this takes diet and regular physical exercise. Blame it on all the media images of gorgeous looking models in athletic wear who don't look dirty/overly dirty/a mess when they are posing as runners, cyclists, etc. Gosh those Winter Olympic women athletes..most of them looked GOOD, beautiful. Another intimidation factor...one more image to "look good" while exercising. Geez.

"Pedestrian professional"...fancy word, eh? It could be a transporatation planner, urban planner, cycling advocate, etc. I have a friend who is a provincial govn't transportation policy analyst. Part of her work role covers active transportation..which means transportation planning which includes cycling, walking and integration with public transit.

TE forum is probably the only international cycling group of women that cuts across all types of cycling, all age groups and across several different countries. (Anyone want to challenge this assertion? )

Your opinion counts. Complain' on an Internet forum and not approaching your local transportation authorities/cycling advocacy group, will not change things.

So consider doing the survey, say it's sexist for certain questions, if you really think so...and summarize your level of cycling at the end. There's opportunity in the form.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 03-19-2010 at 11:35 AM.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

On 2nd thought, methinks I'll send link for this thread to the organization's research project coordinator. And not say much, except ask what mechanisms they have to be sure the respondent is female?

Individually answering survey plus discussion can be useful to them.

What do you think?