Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Proper Fit of Bike Shoes

Hi,

I've been cycling about a year and just bought a lovely pair of Dominator SIDIS from TE and they feel much tighter - but better - than the bulky Shimano shoes I just let go of that killed my arches.

The SIDIS are more narrow in the toe box and feel just a tad short when I stand in them - though I realize they shouldn't feel like street shoes. So how should these darlings fit? If I put the SPD cleats on, I'm guessing the slight tilt will pull my heel back and toes away from the front. After that should my toes have lots, little, or no room to the end? Is there a difference in how they should feel when I'm standing as opposed to how they should feel when I'm clipped in?

I only do road biking now but would eventually like to do cyclocross, so I'm assuming at some point I'll need to hike/run a few steps in these shoes and want to avoid toe bruising if at all possible.

Sidi's - at least the Sidi Doms - run small. I wear a (women's) size 6 in a street shoe (clogs, running shoes, etc.), but my Sidi Doms are a size 38.

If you look at most shoe conversion charts, a size 38 is a women's 7 1/2. If I went by the strict conversion from my street shoe size I would be wearing a size 36, not the 38 that I actually need. Here's a link to a shoe conversion chart in case you need it: http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html. There are others out there too if you don't like this one.

But - if your toes hit the end of the shoe then I'd say they are too short for you. If it were me I'd order a larger size.

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 02-06-2007 at 08:38 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by DeniseGoldberg View Post
    Here's a link to a shoe conversion chart in case you need it: http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html. There are others out there too if you don't like this one.
    Dagnabit!!! I *KNEW* there was a reason buying bike shoes for me is such a crap-shoot!!! There's no size 11 for U.S. Women on that chart!
    My shoes are all over the place - anywhere from 42's to 44's - depending on the maker.
    Sigh. I'll never be able to wear women's SIDI's - only dream. They just don't come in my size.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Hey Regina! Love the pic - is that your new bike helmet?? (where were you skiing?)
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

Sidis do run really small. I wear a 7 in most street shoes, and my Sidi road shoes are a 39, which I'd say is a 6.5; they fit, but just barely -- fine for road shoes since my feet jam back in the heels when I ride, but I wouldn't want to walk in them much! If I ever buy another pair of Sidis, they'll be a 40. My Pearl Izumi Vagabonds (mtb shoes) are a 38 and have a lot more room in the toes and are longer than my Sidi 39s! I don't know why Sidis are sized so differently from other bike shoes.

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by IFjane View Post
    Hey Regina! Love the pic - is that your new bike helmet?? (where were you skiing?)
    Thanks.
    That's at Beaver Creek in Colorado. That's why I have such a big smile on my face! Sigh.

Aren't SIDI's Italian??? It's got to be an Italian-thing. Castelli clothing is sized very small, too.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

When I was trying on cycling shoes, I needed a narrow width and a high toe box. Of about 6 pairs I tried, only Specialized had the high toe box. Most of the shoes would have would have been painful because they smashed the top of my big toe, even if they were long enough and fit otherwise. So size alone doesn't tell you everything - we all have different shaped feet.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Hmm - I wear a 38 1/2 or 39 sidi road shoe/mountain bike shoe and I wear a size 7 usa women's shoe size - but I have a rather narrow foot so maybe that makes it more to size for me. I have a 38 specialized road shoe that has more room in the toe than my 39 sidis.

You don't need as much room for your toes as a regular walking shoe , i.e. a thumb width from toe to front of shoe, but you should have a little room there; especially if you are going to run in the shoes, i.e for cyclocross.

jan

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    Dagnabit!!! I *KNEW* there was a reason buying bike shoes for me is such a crap-shoot!!! There's no size 11 for U.S. Women on that chart!
    Here's a chart that does show a size 11 for US women's sizes: http://www.aussiethings.com.au/shoe-...ion-chart.html.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Red face Excellent chart. Thanks, Denise!

What I'll do is order another size up and try them on side by side. I don't want to void the return policy by putting on the cleats, so will just error on the side of roomier, which I do with my street shoes as well.

Bye