Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OT Birth Control

To disable ads, please log-in.

Checking thru my mail today and I come across a letter from The Planned Parenthood Federation of America Inc. Scratching my head I undo the envelope - never heard of this group and not sure why they are sending me mail. Anyway I start reading and the gist of the letter seems to be about bills passed in 22 states allowing pharmacists to refuse to fill birth control prescriptions based on their personal, moral or religious objections.

Now I know this is a probably a sensitive issue so Im not asking for opinions on this just whether it is true or not.

Hey I dont even know how Im on their mailing list.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

That's funny - I got one of those today too.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Yes it is true. That's all I'll say - don't want to go political.
    Elizabee (age 5) at the doctor's office: "I can smell sickness in here...I smell the germs"

Thanks Fishdr - just wanted to know for sure.

Hey V see we are special (LOL probably half of TE got them).
    Amelia Earhart

Planned Parenthood has been around at least since the 1960's; that's where i went as an 18 year old for free birth control pills!!
    (those were the days!)
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby
    Planned Parenthood has been around at least since the 1960's; that's where i went as an 18 year old for free birth control pills!!
    (those were the days!)
    Thanks mimitabby - being from Australia I dont know a whole lot about anything here in the USA but Im learning.
    Amelia Earhart

I haven't gotten that email, but I first heard about it a year ago. It's true that some pharmacists are refusing to fill prescriptions for birth control, in one case, the pharmacist even refused to give the prescription back to the patient. I guess the best policy on a personal level, either way, is to support the pharmacist you agree with with your dollars.
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." -- Bill Nye

What a stupid bill. I don't usually engage in political discussions, but seriously. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Don't Get Me Started

This one drives me crazy, so I won't rant as long as I'd like to, but...

It obviously doesn't occur to some people that there are lots of reasons why someone would take birth control pills. In my case, it's because I tend to get very anemic and would prefer not to lose the extra blood. I'm sure other people have reasons as well that have nothing to do with offending certain pharmacists' "morals."

argh.

Quote Originally Posted by pyxichick
    This one drives me crazy, so I won't rant as long as I'd like to, but...

It obviously doesn't occur to some people that there are lots of reasons why someone would take birth control pills. In my case, it's because I tend to get very anemic and would prefer not to lose the extra blood. I'm sure other people have reasons as well that have nothing to do with offending certain pharmacists' "morals."

argh.
    Tell me about it!

I would bleed 20 out of 30 days if it weren't for the depo shot I get from Planned Parenthood.

Not to mention, I don't want kids... ever.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

I am a licensed health care provider (Certified Nurse Midwife). I have a state and a federal license to prescribe certain medications. *I* prescribe. They (the pharmacists) *dispense*. If they don't want to *dispense* what I prescribe, perhaps they should get a new career.

I've worked for Planned Parenthood. Not free, but certainly affordable contraceptive and basic gyne care.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Lise;

I agree whole heartedly!!! One of the most popular, (and first), prescriptions I ever wrote was for the morning after pill. I was raised Catholic, I remain Catholic but who the hell am I to force motherhood on anyone If these pharmacists don't want to fill effective and safe contraceptive prescriptions than they need to get out of the business...or do like I do...bless yourself everytime you take a pill!!

karen
    can you tell this topic rocks my world
    Quitting is NOT an option!
    Know the signs of stroke!! www.stroke.org

Kitsune06 Guest
    Stupid bill. I agree. They were there when I was 17, stupid, and needed Plan B, they were there when I was 18 and wanted to be careful and used Depo (ok, not so smart knowing what I know now, but it works for some)
    I have no idea how some people can be so morally wrapped up in such silly things. BC prevents abortions (among other awful things). Kids aren't going to stop having sex because they don't have BC or condoms, they're just going to do it anyway and act all surprised when they're 15 and pregnant, then run to Planned Parenthood or someone else for an abortion- something rapidly becoming more and more difficult to come by.

Naturally, I have pretty decent BC reassurance, but the whole concept upsets me. It's like denying someone insulin because you don't personally believe man should try to keep someone alive who would otherwise die.

...okay, that's as political as I'll get. I get all upset etc over this stuff, and inevitably nothing will change anyway but my blood pressure.

A very popular OB-Gyn amongst my friends was Catholic and didn't prescribe birth control. On the other hand, he had his patients schedule their BC appts. with one of his partners who did prescribe. They adored the guy, didn't mind having his partner handle the birth control issues, and thought he showed a lot of integrity.

I went to him a few times after my BC had been permanently arranged, ahem. I liked him and could see why they thought he was worth the extra effort.

BUT -- that's the difference between a doctor who knows you intimately (ahem, ahem) and a pharmacist who, as has been said, "dispenses."

And to keep the prescription? Outrageous.

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

I think my girlfriend who is a pharmacist put it well when she said, "So I think obese people are committing the sin of gluttony and their high blood pressure is a punishment from God. Now I can refuse to fill their prescriptions for beta blockers!"

So if you're looking for a pharmacist in Bellevue, WA who'd never refuse to fill anything legal, PM me...