Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Suggestions for improving my speed in the flats?

To disable ads, please log-in.

If one were to look at me, they'd guess that that I'm built for speed as I have very strong, powerful legs. What you can't see is that I also apparently have a natural talent for CV endurance. When I bought my road bike, I immedately discovered that I also have an advantage on the uphill. Good thing, too...otherwise I'd be dropped on half the group rides because I also learned that I suck in the flats.

I have two issues. 1) I just can't seem to keep up over the long flat haul (luckily, I live in a hilly area, so it hasn't kept me from cycling!) and 2) the slightest crosswind, and I'm off the paceline and sometimes almost off the road.

How can I get stronger/faster in the flats? Are there any training hints/suggestions? Am I slower because of technique/training, or do my short legs put me at a disadvantage?

I'm still awaiting my new bike (that is significantly smaller than the one I've been riding) so I'm hoping a better fit and better balance means better wind handling...but if not, is there a way that I can improve on this, as well?

I'm extremely competitive, and I hate not keeping up! Thanks!

I love the flats (and rollers)!! I love a headwind!! There are many ways to improve your power on the flats:

Power intervals. Do hard efforts of 3 - 5 minutes at a time (building up). If you ride hard and push yourself hard, you can develop your power. Do a mini-time trial where you are pushing yourself to the limit of what you think you can do and just hold that for the interval time. Do "town line" sprint efforts where you go all out to a certain point maybe 500 meters in front of you.

You mention not being able to "keep up" in the wind. Maybe your group riding/pacelining skills need some work also? Sometimes if you aren't on the wheel and a gap opens up, it is hard to get back on. Work on keeping on the wheel. When you rotate off the front, be sure you bring your speed up as you approach the last in line rider so you can get right on the wheel. Work on riding in the sweet spot of the rider in front of you - in a cross wind that is generally a bit off to the side.

Even if you are already talented on the hills, pushing yourself hard on the hills will give you more power on the flats.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Ditto.

Then, go find a fun short time trial.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I wonder how much has to do with aerodynamics - so better fitting bike and working on paceline technique could make a big difference. I am also better on hills and it almost feels like there's a better angle of efficiency there, so maybe leaning differently would make a difference (or making a seat adjustment?) Somehow try to make the flat feel more like a hill...

I have the same problem. I can climb like a goat and also accelerate very quickly, but have a hard time keeping up on the flats. I think for me it could be a combination of me and my 650 wheels - not sure. I have short, bulky legs which I think are more designed for intense, short spurt types of things, but I am training for a century this year and would prefer to have a powerful endurance. I hate not being able to keep up, too!

Position, position, position.
    Two days ago, it was windy, I went to this group ride, we had firmed a good paceline from the beginning of the ride all the way to the end, I got 19.5 mph avg. for 48 miles. I have never go this fast for this distance, and yesterday my legs didn't feel a thing, no pain or nothing. I am more a runner than a cyclist, and I always think my legs are too heavy for spinning, the lesson I learned from this ride is position.
    Stay with the paceline position, don't let the gap open. DON'T!
    Hold a relaxing position, don't waste too much energy on your upper body, focus on your padding.
    Most important position is a good bike fitting position, needs to find yourself a right bike.
    After all, practice, practice, practice, with a group that is faster than your PR.
    Did I miss anything else? I will get back to you. Learning is a life time bussiness.http://forums.teamestrogen.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Like Mallio suggests, intervals are good.

Another strategy (like Runner describes) is to get someone to draft you and get them to ride the whole distance at a slightly higher speed than you are used to.

Positioning can help - aero bars will increase your speed instantly by 1-2 km per hour

Basically you need to increase your aerobic fitness (endurance training) and you should also find our where your lactate threshold is, and then once or maybe twice a week (depending on how much training you do) do a ride that puts you right on your lactate threshold.

Interval training will do this also - and going at or above your body's lactate limit trains your body to function with higher levels of lactate in your system

There is no easy way - to get faster you have to ride and ride and ride some more.

Remember that it is easier to increase your speed at lower speeds.

The faster you want to go, the more wind resistance you meet and the more power you have to output.

Early improvements are quick and significant... as you get better/ more experienced, your improvements take more time and more effort.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Funny you should mention the lactate threshold, RoadRaven. I was just reading something about the recently, and it's something I had never really heard of. The line of thinking for years was the lactate builds up in your muscles and hinders performance. To counteract that, coaches would have athletes do exactly what you are describing, working just at the lactate threshold, to gradually increase the threshold over time. Science has finally caught up with sports and they find that lactate is actually used by the muscle for energy and the way coaches have been training athletes is the best method for training.

Sorry, I'm sorta a science geek and find this stuff really interesting. Just find it funny you should mention that.

Lots of great advice, everyone!

A couple of things really struck me....

1) Practice. I need more practice working with a paceline. I can pull just fine, but as soon as I drop back, I'm off the line. The slightest gap and again, I'm off the line. I can work on this technique.

2) Positioning. My current bike is very much too big for me. The handle bars are 8 centimeters wider than they should be, there is NO standover clearance at all, and I cannot ride on the hoods because the reach is just too far. This all makes me a very nervous/tippy rider. I fear following too close to another biker because I don't want to trip up anyone else! As much as I try to fight it (mentally), I'm sure it's screwing me up big time. My new bike is on it's way...so that should help.

3) Training. We just don't have that many roads that aren't heavy traffic and that are flat! There are a few near work, so I'm going to ask some of the guys about practicing with me at lunch. I'm sure they'll be game. I need to do some 'TT' type training...and some intervals that are not hilly.

I have good CV endurance, I know my lactate threshold (estimated using a treadmill...I need to have it redone on a bike), and I do plenty of interval training. What I've not done is some of this training specifically for the flats.

DH and I also talked about this and we were thinking of helping each other out on our next longer ride. His weaknesses are opposite mine...so would it benefit us to switch strengths? If he pulled up the hills and I pulled in the flats, would that help us improve on our weaknesses at all?

Thanks again for all the great advice!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven
    Positioning can help - aero bars will increase your speed instantly by 1-2 km per hour
    Sorry, but absolutely not in a paceline. If GLC's goal is to increase her speed to hang with others, she needs to develop fitness and skills that will let her do this without mechanical aid.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Sorry, but absolutely not in a paceline. If GLC's goal is to increase her speed to hang with others, she needs to develop fitness and skills that will let her do this without mechanical aid.

Agreed - nothing worse in a paceline than someone on aerobars.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by CycleChic06
    Science has finally caught up with sports and they find that lactate is actually used by the muscle for energy and the way coaches have been training athletes is the best method for training.
    erm... has been discussed elsewhere and somewhat dismantled:
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...hlight=lactate
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...hlight=lactate
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Right, I agree that it's not the best form of energy, but lactate CAN be broken down for energy. That was the point of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven
    Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate

OMG!!! you are SOOOO right

I was thinking speed as I typed and forgot that essential part of riding in a pack.

Sadie is absolutely right - NEVER use aero-bars when riding with others...

Sorry, I need to think carefully about what I am responding to before I click on submit.

Thanks for picking that up Sadie.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".