Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Cycling shorts recommendations with the no-grip legs

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi All!
    I am a new cyclist, just took up riding about 3 months ago and I love it. I was grateful to have received some gently used cycling clothes to get started, and have slowly started acquiring my own...my question is about cycling shorts.
    One thing I have decided I really like are the shorter length cycling shorts, as I am only 5'4". However, my most favorite thing are the one pair of Pearl Izumi cycling shorts my husband bought me that instead of having the silicone style leg-grippers are just the no-grip style. In the Pearl Izumis, it's just a thicker band of fabric, which is actually in a contrasting color if you fold up the leg. I really like this style leg because I find the thigh bulge created by a 1 inch wide or less silicone strip annoying looking. It's not uncomfortable but to me it doesn't look flattering.
    My husband bought my beloved Pearl Izumi shorts for me at a bike shop out of town. Can anyone recommend a similar short that I can buy online?

Hi Rita and welcome to TE! Do your shorts have a tag that has a model # inside? If so, you could google and possibly find another place you could order more online, since you like the style you have. If you can't find a model #, you can probably google "Pearl Izumi Women's Bike Shorts" and find the same model (assuming they haven't been replaced with a different model) that way. If you select "Images" in the google results, you can look through photos of shorts and then click on the ones that look like yours to get to a site where they might be for sale. I am sure you can find some like yours if you are diligent.

If that particular model is no longer made, I'm sure you can find others you like. Of course try our forum sponsor, Team Estrogen!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Hi Rita and welcome to the forum from the north woods of Wisconsin. Can't help you on that specific model, but has to be something out there. Best of luck in your search.

Shebeest makes some without the silicone. I have a couple pair of the Pro Splice model, which I like a lot. They may have others - their website has a lot of shorts I haven't looked at.

I just looked, and they have several that don't have the silicone. Most are 7", but there is one that is 5.5"
    Last edited by Skierchickie2; 06-30-2016 at 02:02 PM.

Thank you everyone! Emily, I had no idea there was a model # on the tag in my shorts, but I found it! I will search that model # out tomorrow to see if O can find more of them. And I will check out the shebeest shorts too. Thank you!

You can look at some Shebeest and PI shorts here:

http://www.teamestrogen.com/collecti...cycling-shorts

The folks at TE are very helpful if you need to call or email them with questions.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

I love the Louis Garneau Neo Power Short. No silicon gripper on the leg. I like the regular length because I am tall, but they have a shorter version, i think 7" inseam.

Sheebeest!!!! You will love them and they are stylish too. I have on pair of the Louis Garneau Neo Power Short in the shorter length as well which are nice but my go to shorts are sheebeerClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	18087

I second the Louis Garneau Neo Power shorts. I'm short (5'2"), so I prefer the 7" inseam. They changed the cut last year, so I now wear a size M, which fits exactly the same as the size S from previous years. The fit is tight, but I like the compression, and it's perfect once you're on the bike.

I also bought a pair of the Castelli Body Paint shorts, which have a great chamois and no leg grippers, but I hate the waistband. It always rolls down, a problem I never have with the Neo Power shorts.