Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Adjustments on a new bike...

To disable ads, please log-in.

It pays to be attentive to your bike and your body. I just bought my Trek 7.5 WSD last week. Figured I wouldn't have to adjust anything until about 100 miles or so. Well, hey, I'm a newbie and naive! So a few days ago, my wrists started hurting a little, my mirror was out of whack and my front gear didn't shift quite so smoothly. I said something to my husband yesterday. He rode the bike and agreed something was wrong with the shifting. He stood in front of the bike and looked at it, then asked me when I rotated my handlebars backward! I hadn't, intentionally that is! The handlebar must have moved when I heaved myself onto the seat and I didn't notice. So we adjusted the handlebar to its correct position and marked it with a Sharpie. I had a great ride today, the mirror was good, the shifting was good and my wrists didn't hurt.

Some cable stretch is normal in the beginning, so don't be surprised if you need to head to the shop of a derailleur adjustment. I'd mention your handlebar issue to your lbs so they can make sure everything is well tightened. That shouldn't happen.

Enjoy your new bike!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I once almost had a terrible accident because my handlebars were not quite tight enough. Please make sure you tighten them up really well.
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My hubby used a tool from my new tool pack, and they are very tight now. I will make it a point to bring it up when I take the bike in for other adjustments.