Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Unhappy holy hell i'm overwhelmed! PLEASE HELP!

To disable ads, please log-in.

First - I'm sorry if there are similar threads posted. I looked through TONS of bike forums, including this one, these past few weeks and I don't really have an answer I'm happy with yet... So I decided to post here.

Okay now - my basic question is about the kind of bike I should get. I do NOT have the cycler's body, at all. I'm 5'4" and 240lbs. Obviously, I need more support than the average rider. I know I don't want a mountain bike. That's about all I know.

I have a few goals w/ riding... So they should cover all these things...

I want to drop 60 lbs in about 4 to 5 months. So I want a bike that is durable enough for 5mi, then eventually 10, then 20, then 30miles a day. (because i'm this heavy, losing weight comes a lot faster... don't worry i'm not crash dieting or anything. Just 12lbs-15lbs a month).

I want to join my local bike groups that some of the LBS's put together. They do about 20 miles on a saturday or sunday.

I also want to do a lot of charity rides. They look like SO MUCH FUN! -but I probably won't attempt this until a year or so.

Most of the charity rides I've researched do about 30-60 miles a day. So I definitely need to bring up my stamina.

Okay that was an eyefull -so if you're still reading, bless you.

There's also another thing: I really don't have any sort of fancy budget. Ideally, the bike will be less than 300 dollars. My first goal is just to get to 20 miles.... I figure after that, I can spend on a bike in the 700 dollar range.

Right now, I have an old Schwinn from the 70s - frame and everything are decent. But the tires suck. My mom said I needed new tubes... I don't know what that means. It's not a mountain bike. It has thin tires, but it doesn't have the "road bike" handle bars. It's just normal handlebars and a gear shift. It hasn't been ridden for over ten years. But it's a solid piece of work -and not part of the Schwinn's made in taiwan (which i've noticed are being sold at bigbox stores now...?)

I also have the opportunity to buy a brand new Trek FX 7.1 for under 300 off a friend. It's classified as a fitness bike by some and a hybrid by others. But it's not a road bike. It has regular flat handlebars.

Though not road bikes, I'm considering them only because I can get in shape relatively cheaply and then spend real money on a serious road bike when I'm ready to join a group or do a charity ride in about six months. Also the Schwinn is here and the cost is just whatever new parts I need for it. The Trek is new, and under 300.

I know most people will say that I should just go to an LBS -but it seems that they have NOTHING in my price range. Cheapest bikes run about 600 (and these are on "clearance").

Target, Walmart, Amazon, and Ebay are all places i've been shopping around lately... I just don't know if those options are any good....

Woah. I just wrote a thesis paper on "The Dilemma of Choosing a Bike for the Overweight and Totally Broke American..."

Thanks for reading... and thank you even more if you decide to reply! I really appreciate ANY advice... I'm so lost on the subject it's quite sad.

Hiya earthgirl, and welcome to TE!

I think you have some very admirable and attainable goals. I also think you're going to have a blast working towards those goals!

I have a couple of questions for you:

* Does your Schwinn fit you? When you ride it, do you feel comfortable, or do you feel stretched out or cramped?
    * Does your friend's hybrid fit you?

If the Schwinn fits, then ride it! It's definitely in your budget, and you can get some miles under your belt to see what you like and don't like about the bike.

Otherwise, it sounds like the hybrid is a good deal if it fits.

You mentioned that the Schwinn's tires suck. How so? And actually, when was the last time they were changed? Rubber goes bad, so if it's been a few years since the tires were changed, I'd get new ones just to be safe. You might want to replace the tubes too (as your mom suggested.)

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please ask away!

- Melissa
    I'll get back on the bike soon, I promise!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Treks are known for being pretty dependable well made bikes, even the lower cost ones.
    If that Trek fits you ok it might be a fine bike to get started on- likely better and easier to ride than the old heavy one you are on now. Plus, it's new! You can always sell it later.

Don't think about biking to lose weight. Think about biking to get a healthier and more active lifestyle started, and to feel good all over. Weight loss will follow along naturally if you ride a lot. Bike riding is good for body and soul.

First things first....regular little rides of 5 or 10 miles... and learning to enjoy riding your bike. Keep it fun and not a chore and you will more likely want to ride more often. Welcome!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hmm sounds like a flat bar roadie would be okay. I'm currently on the hunt for a bike for my mom's ex-gf and that's what I'm trying to find her. Kona Dew's can be had for about $400 http://www.konaworld.com/08_dew_w.htm

My thought though, would be to rock the old bike as long as you can if it works. Reason being is that a $300 bike isn't gonna get you much, and then when you go to buy another bike $700 won't get you much more. If you wait and buy one $1000 bike you'll get a LOT more.

Mom is probably right about new tubes. I pried one out of my rear tire before a big ride that kid you not was STUCK to it and we're not talking about it being in there that long. Most shops will sell you a tube and change it out for about $10 a wheel. I would however bat your eyes, tell them how you're super excited to get into biking and, this is the important part, looking to buy a new bike soon and would they show you how to fix a flat. I am so evil.

Seriously though, congrats. It is overwhelming at first but learn what you can and don't stress about the rest. There are people out there who probably enjoy their cameras as much as me, and don't know half as much! Losing weight biking just happens which is awesome! I didn't even realize I was until a coworker pointed it out and I noticed my pants were hovering over my butt crack!

And yes, charity rides do rock. You have totally realistic goals and those will help you immensely!

Peas!
    -HillBill
    "True, but if you throw your panties into the middle of the peloton, someone's likely to get hurt."

I love my Trek hybrid--BUT does it fit you? Can you stand over it with a couple inches clearance? Can you get the seat where you want it without exceeding the seat post limits? If it won't be comfortable, then it won't be a good deal. You can still "shop" at your LBS's and they will teach you a lot about bikes.

And I agree with going to the LBS with you bike and saying, "I need 2 new tires and tubes. And I need to learn how to fix a flat." Because you do! They will help you change the tires and you will learn how to fix a flat--a good bike shop should provide this service for the cost of tires and tubes! They may even have more helpful advice including local bike paths and local rides where you can meet others :-) Good luck!

Don't stress over the bikes, just get out there! You'll learn as you go, I promise!
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

Ditto on what everyone else said.

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!! I really appreciate it !

I'm going to take the schwinn sometime before the weekend to this LBS near my house... they used to only sell schwinns in the 80s - so maybe there are still schwinn experts there...

I think I'll see what a trek fx feels like, too. If it's amazing, I'll call my friend asap and buy it off of him. If it feels like the schwinn, or only slightly better... I guess I'll hold off for six months and buy a "Real" bike later...

thanks again for the advice... :-)

how much are new tires and tubes? does anyone know?

I can vouch for the 7.2fx. I've had two. It's absolutely perfect for what you want. Make sure it fits though! It's fairly light for a fitness/hybrid because it doesn't have the suspension. It's actually closer to being a road bike than other hybrids. Have fun and let us know what you decide!
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Quote Originally Posted by earthgirl View Post
    I think I'll see what a trek fx feels like, too. If it's amazing, I'll call my friend asap and buy it off of him. If it feels like the schwinn, or only slightly better... I guess I'll hold off for six months and buy a "Real" bike later...
    Them's fightin' words.
    There are lots of FX riders here.
    If I didn't have my FX set up for trail riding I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a 30 mile (or longer) ride.

Just because a bike doesn't have dropped bars doesn't mean it's not going to be good for long rides.

That said, see what you can do with your Schwinn. Then you can take that $300 and buy cycling clothes
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    That said, see what you can do with your Schwinn. Then you can take that $300 and buy cycling clothes
    I'm thinking it will cost you a max of $60 to buy two new tires and a few tubes (buy extras)
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

bike tire costs

Bike tires can be expensive, but they are your contact with the road and without good tires, the best brakes won't stop you as well. I usually pay about $40 for tires for my 26" wheels, around $80 for my 650c wheels, and around $20 for 27" wheels. Your Schwinn probably has 27" wheels. Buy the best tires you can afford, better tires usually have better puncture resistence. 27" is not as common as 700c these days, so your choices may be limited. I suggest you take whichever bikes is most comfortable to LBS, tell them you are going to be commuting (an excellent way to add daily miles) and want the bike to be tuned, new brake pads, new tires and tubes, and true the wheels. Also have them replace any reflectors that may have been broken off, buy at least one rear blinky and a front blinky (depending on your states requirements). If there isn't a rack, consider getting one (~$40) because it will let you do rides to the library, pick up some groceries, etc. All told you will probably spend $200, a deposit on your new way of life and health. Good luck and happy riding.

Smile

Hi and welcome to TE! I am losing weight too - I have lost 55 lbs., but still have about 60 to go. I am currently riding a hybrid which I love! I started out with small rides to get the feel of the bike, gradually adding in miles each time. My first ride was only six miles, but now I get aggravated if I have to keep my rides below twenty miles!! I am training for a MS150 charity ride next May, and I have signed up to do a 50k and some other local charity rides as “training rides” towards that goal. My advice would be to get a bike that is comfortable and start riding the heck out of it - find any and every excuse to ride and keep building up the mileage. When your budget allows, you can upgrade, but don’t worry about that now. Focus on safety (reflectors, brakes, tires, helmet, etc.) and ride. One of the best things I added to my bike was an inexpensive Planet Bike cycling computer - real basic, but it keeps track of my MPH, distance, time, etc. I can track how fast I am riding as well as distance. I keep a cycling log and list weather conditions, distance, mph, etc. after I return from each ride. You can then see your progress! When I first started riding, my average speed was 8 mph, in two months time I am now riding 12.5 - 13.5 mph for example. I was stuck in a weight-loss plateau for months, but since I upped my bike distances and intensity, the pounds have started to come off again - I have added in faster sprints (18.5 - 19 mph) (intervals) into my rides and that makes a difference. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Last edited by wildhawk; 09-10-2008 at 08:17 AM.
    “No Bird Soars Too High If He Soars With His Own Wings” ~ William Blake

thanks for all the advice again :-)

I looked at the Schwinn again, it's not really a road bike -it's a comfort bike. Specifically it's 1978 Collegiate 3spd. I feel like it's just not going to work. And it needs to be ridiculously cleaned. I love the bike and I still think I'm going to fix it up eventually... but it's not going to work for my goals right now.

The height of the Trek FX 7.1 - it's 17.5 inches. Is that too big? My friend who is 5.6 says it's just the right size for her... but i'm only 5'4" ... I do have long legs though (no torso...!)

The trek has never been used - so i feel like it might be a good idea to buy it, and try to trade it in for one that works for me..... but I don't know what the "etiquette" of bike trading/selling is... do LBS's sell used bikes? will they just laugh at me when I take in the trek?

wild- congrats on losing 50lbs!! you're my inspiration !

we can't tell you if a bike is going to fit you - you have to get on the bike and try it yourself. We're all built differently and there's nothing wrong with an old schwinn for light workouts.

Why don't you wash it up? I wash my bike regularly. It's a labor of love (and burns calories)
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Earthgirl - I purchased a trek 7300 over the summer for many of the same reasons that you posted. I'm only 5'2" and I ended up with the 13.5" version. I asked the bike shop guy if he was sure it wasn't a little kids bike because it looked pretty small, but it fits me perfect so that's the most important thing. I would think the 17.5 trek might be too big for you based on your height, but as others have said, you really need to ride it for yourself. Have fun!