Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question climbing, hopping, descending

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just curious...

I've wanted to get into mt. biking (just a little, I'm not a very aggro person on a bike (well not yet, anyway)

I'd like to learn some of the techniques for hopping, and just how one would position one's body while descending (like down a very short set of steps, etc) so one can do that kind of thing without killing oneself!

I used to play around like that at home with my old bike, but a bent frame and a couple of shifters that didn't shift *quite right* later, I was strongly discouraged from it (Mom didn't want to buy any new bikes )

So... I figure: Now I'm a big girl, I should learn how to do it properly instead of looking like a stunt-biker gone wrong, in a spray of gravel and a flurry of limbs everywhere!

Any suggestions (beyond Irulan's tips) are really welcome (I've already pored over those, and am just looking for a little more )

for steps, just find some wide ones with out a lot of drop and play. As long as you don't panic grab, you'll be surprised at how easy it is.

http://trials-online.com/ this site Trials Online has lots of little movies about all the different unweighting technieques. Manual, wheelies, it's all here. There are tons of sites devoted to these things

I find you just have to keep trying and build on it. One thing we do that's fun is ride around some of the parks in play mode. That way the pressure is off and you can just mess around and try things. I"m still getting a lot of the front unweight moves, I feel happy if I can get my front wheel up on a 4" thing.

have you checked out the Sugoi Dirt camp in Hood River this summer? It's only $150, what a deal for a weekend of coaching.

http://www.dirtseries.com/lsds_schedule.html That would be much better for you than any of us trying to explain it.

Following riders better than you is always a good way to learn.

penny
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

thanks! (and one more question, if you'd be so kind...)

Is it cruel and unusual punishment to try to do these things on a hybrid bike? (punishment for the bike, I mean) I've heard of pinchflats, but I'd think that if I didn't give my frame a royal beating and kept my tires fully inflated, it wouldn't do too much damage...

it would be a lot more fun on a mtn bike, that's for sure. This is where I am really not an expert, but as you get into more technical stuff, body english and geomerty can really make a difference.

I've only pinch flatted once, last week as a matter of fact, when I was a little out of control and ran inot some rocks. I did a slo-mo feet first save, and then ssssssssssss. Killed that tube!!

honestly, I think you'll have to work harder for success on a hybrid due to the goemetry. Some thing you can do to a hybrid to make it more mountain friendly are make sure you have a narrow saddle (it's really hard to get back on one that is wide) lower your handlesbars and stem for a less upright body position and make sure you have a decent front fork on it.

Penny

edit: I'd be more worried about you hurting you than the bike. If your hybrid is anything like the steel recreation hybrid turned mtn bike that I started on, you won't be able to kill it.
    Last edited by Irulan; 06-04-2004 at 10:26 AM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Talking ahhh

it's a Huffy men's bike, 26'' wheels. It seems pretty sturdy. (if it isn't it WAS only $10 at Good Will and has about $70 of new brakes etc on it... My seat's a nice narrow one with a cut-out that suits my girlie parts pretty well... I was thinking all I'd really have to do is lower the seat (the handle bars are as low as they go) before trying to do the hoppy stuff. I'm basically just working on getting over roots and rocks in the trail, maybe some minor curb-hopping, too... not much of the WILD stuff I saw on that site you suggested, though those video clips are really awesome =) Thanks for all your help =)

I agree with Irulan - sign up for the Sugoi Dirt Series Camp!!! I just got back from the Sun Valley camp and it was EXCELLENT!!! We learned a TON of stuff and in regards to what you are wanting to learn, they cover it ALL and then some!!! "Manuals", higher speed move where you push down on the front shock and then pull up (good for getting over puddles or not so wide creeks and keeping you dry), bunny-hops, wheelie-drops where you actually pedal and pull up on the front to drop off of something high (curb, giant boulder, row of 3-5 steps...), and a simple drop off with a lunge move - no lifting of front wheel. Anyways, the camp is WELL WORTH THE MONEY and it's fun! They will also help fit your bike to YOUR body.

~ Wendi
    Do something EVERYDAY that scares you just a little.
    ------------------------------------------------
    If you're doing something you love, you are the luckiest person in the world.

so I guess you had a good time??!!!!! Camp in Rossland in three weeks for me. I am so bummed.. my roomie had to cancel due to a relative's illness! So I have this house up there to stay in and everything...

irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

It was a BLAST!!! Super great coaching, super great participants!!! For my first ever mtn. bike "camp" - I give it an A++++. They said they will probably do Sun Valley again next year (camp was full) and we are hoping to talk them into doing Boise as well since there are a TON more female mtn. bikers here in town. Sorry your roomie bagged out - mine bagged out too for possible gallbladder surgery but then re-enlisted when she found out she could hold off on it AND we had an additional gal go too that we knew. Enjoy your camp!!! Let me know how it goes!

~ Wendi
    Do something EVERYDAY that scares you just a little.
    ------------------------------------------------
    If you're doing something you love, you are the luckiest person in the world.

Unhappy might have to wait...

I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I couldn't get my front tire off the ground, even when I virtually *sat* on my back tire... Then, at my hubby's suggestion, I weighed it. My steel horse weighs in at about 47#. at 120, I'm having the darnedest time playing with it, so camp might have to wait until I can trade my Belgian in for an Arabian. Ah well... I can always practice trackstands. Anyone hear of how Terry Susan B's handle that kind of riding? Does Terry MAKE a mtn bike?

*cough* *hack* your bike weighs HOW much? Girl, we need to talk!! If you are getting interested in mtb, that really is a lot of weight, even for a recreationol/hybrid. No wonder you are frustrated!! I thought 33 was a lot.. that's how much my first bike weighed.

as for your unweighting, that's totally techinique and rider, has nothing to do with weight of the bike...even DH riders can do those moves with thier 50# rigs. Don't take this the wrong way.. some of that stuff can be really tricky to learn, or at least it is for me.

OTOH last time I went to camp, my gf showed up with her antique no suspenion rockhopper, "the studebakers" and she learned to hop it over a 6" log!!

irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Hey! I'm riding an antique Rockhopper with no suspension.

V.

wow.

then is it a matter of pulling up *real* hard on the handle bars or something? I can't get the bugger more than about half an inch off the ground...

er, I"ll try describe it but remember I'm just starting to get the hang of this stuff myself.

It's almost a split second "snap" move that involves compression/pressure/weighting of the front end and then unweighting/lift combined with a subtle weight shift of your body. Sorry I don't know how else to describe it. See what it feels like both to be in the neutral position, and while sitting on your seat. It should come easier when you are out of the saddle.

Get a small thing to practice on... a 1"x1" peice of wood, and just play with the idea.

A lighter bike would help tho.

(Honey, the gals over at TE said I really need a real mountain bike.... )

~irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Originally posted by Veronica
    Hey! I'm riding an antique Rockhopper with no suspension.

V.
    it was pretty funny at camp... one of the coaches said... There always has to be one...."

irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Re: wow.

Originally posted by Biking Kitsune
    then is it a matter of pulling up *real* hard on the handle bars or something? I can't get the bugger more than about half an inch off the ground...
    hey 1/2 an inch is a great start! It's not always an easy skill to get. So keep at it...

~I.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2