Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

27" winter tires?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi --

I have an older road bike which I use daily for commuting and for bike messenger work. It's the only bike I have for now.

The bike uses 27" rims, which I recently switched from the original steel rims to more durable aluminum replacements. Now with winter arriving here, though, I'm looking around for winter (studded) tires to fit 27" rims, but everywhere I look, the only ones they seem to sell are for 26" and 700mm wheels. Does this mean I'll have to buy different rims first if I want to ride in winter weather? Would 700mm work on a 27" rim?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that isn't the case, since smaller rims means possibly different brakes, etc., equalling a lot more money.

Thanks!

Astrid

I suspect that 27" snow tires don't exist based on a comment on Peter White's studded snow tire page at http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp.

And unfortunately you can't use a 700c tire on a 27" wheel.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Well, that's disappointing to learn, but having a conclusive answer will save me time in the long run when I make a decision up or down about what to do. Thanks for finding that reference!

THat's what I've seen looking around, too. I'm starting a "stud fund," thinking of something form that Peter White site, but we could also go the rest of the winter without studly weather so I'm going to hope for the best. (It'll be in single digits tomorrow, but no precip.)