Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what's a bike made of?

To disable ads, please log-in.

synapse alloy feminine

cro-moly

ZR 9000 Alloy

Forged Alloy

Easton Ultralight?

Scandium?? another metal?

does all this mean STEEL?
    Last edited by mimitabby; 09-27-2006 at 07:31 AM.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

From what I've gathered, these days "alloy" means aluminum alloy. (it used to generally mean steel alloy)

Unless it specifies chro-moly, platinum, or other steel alloy; your best bet may be to assume it's aluminum alloy.

I think I read that on the Harris website. Maybe it was on the Riv site.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

al·loy Pronunciation (loi, -loi)
    n.
    1. A homogeneous mixture or solid solution of two or more metals, the atoms of one replacing or occupying interstitial positions between the atoms of the other: Brass is an alloy of zinc and copper.
    2. A mixture; an amalgam: "Television news has . . . always been an alloy of journalism and show business" Bill Moyers.
    3. The relative degree of mixture with a base metal; fineness.
    4. Something added that lowers value or purity.
    tr.v. (-loi, loi) al·loyed, al·loy·ing, al·loys
    1. To combine (metals) to form an alloy.
    2. To combine; mix: idealism that was alloyed with political skill.
    3. To debase by the addition of an inferior element.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Steel is flexible for a smoother ride. Aluminum is lighter but a stiffer less forgiving ride. Carbon is light and forgiving. Steel usually will crack before it breaks. Aluminum and carbon can just snap in pieces so quality is paramount.

Isn't cro-moly steel?

Grog -

From what I've read cro-moly is a steel alloy

Quote Originally Posted by fatbottomedgurl View Post
    Steel is flexible for a smoother ride. Aluminum is lighter but a stiffer less forgiving ride. Carbon is light and forgiving. Steel usually will crack before it breaks. Aluminum and carbon can just snap in pieces so quality is paramount.
    well, this brings me back to my question. Why can't the bike makers say "ALUMINUM ALLOY" or steel with high chromium?
    and what are they mixing with Aluminum anyway?

they have to doll up the name... just say what it is! (so we don't have to feel like idiots because we dont' know what ZR 9000 is!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

If it's related to a frame, it's probably steel with some alloying metals.
    If it's related to components, it's probably aluminum with some alloying metals.

Cro-moly is a steel used for frames. Forged alloy is aluminum. Not sure about some of the things you mentioned.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    well, this brings me back to my question. Why can't the bike makers say "ALUMINUM ALLOY" or steel with high chromium?
    and what are they mixing with Aluminum anyway?

they have to doll up the name... just say what it is! (so we don't have to feel like idiots because we dont' know what ZR 9000 is!
    Using "alloy" for "aluminum" is stupid but they've been doing it for many many decades. They have to mix things with aluminum because the metal would be much too soft otherwise. Your chainrings might wear out in a week if they were pure aluminum. There are so many ways to alloy it that I guess the manufacturers want to brag on their way and give it a fancy name.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    synapse alloy feminine
    cro-moly
    ZR 9000 Alloy
    Forged Alloy
    Easton Ultralight?
    Scandium?? another metal?
    does all this mean STEEL?
    Cro-moly: this is steel with a high chrome and Molybdenum content for increased strength-to-weight and ride quality properties over standard hi-tensile/hi-carbon steel. Cro-Moly is found on mid-to-higher end bike frames. A variation of Cro-Moly is Manganese-Molybdenum (such as Reynolds 531, etc).
    ZR9000 is a trade name (by Trek?) for aluminum alloy containing Zirconium (for the usual reasons...strength/weight/durability etc)
    Easton Ultralight: another trade name for proprietary aluminum-alloy frames made by Easton.
    Scandium Scandium is a rare-earth mineral and another formulation of aluminum-alloy. It helps stabilize the inherent brittleness of aluminum.
    forged alloy forging refers to the method of manufacture allowing higher strength and less stress in alloy parts (like aluminum cranksets, handlebar stems, seatposts, brake calipers, and so on).
    6061, 7005, etc this refers to the metallurgical grade of aluminum.
    Nowadays, many bikes are made of a combination of materials such as aluminum main triangles with carbon fibre forks and rear end (seat and chain stays).
    Hope this helps a little!
    All vintage, all the time.
    Falcon Black Diamond
    Gitane Tour de France
    Kuwahara Sierra Grande MTB
    Bianchi Super Grizzly MTB

Quote Originally Posted by Popoki_Nui View Post
    Cro-moly: this is steel with a high chrome and Molybdenum content for increased strength-to-weight and ride quality properties over standard hi-tensile/hi-carbon steel. Cro-Moly is found on mid-to-higher end bike frames. A variation of Cro-Moly is Manganese-Molybdenum (such as Reynolds 531, etc).
    ZR9000 is a trade name (by Trek?) for aluminum alloy containing Zirconium (for the usual reasons...strength/weight/durability etc)
    Easton Ultralight: another trade name for proprietary aluminum-alloy frames made by Easton.
    Scandium Scandium is a rare-earth mineral and another formulation of aluminum-alloy. It helps stabilize the inherent brittleness of aluminum.
    forged alloy forging refers to the method of manufacture allowing higher strength and less stress in alloy parts (like aluminum cranksets, handlebar stems, seatposts, brake calipers, and so on).
    6061, 7005, etc this refers to the metallurgical grade of aluminum.
    Nowadays, many bikes are made of a combination of materials such as aluminum main triangles with carbon fibre forks and rear end (seat and chain stays).
    Hope this helps a little!
    This is great!! thanks a lot!!! most helpful!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Mimi, when I first saw your question, I was thinking of the nursery rhymes:
    Snips and snails and puppy dogs' tails: that's what little boys are made of.
    Sugar and spice and everything nice: that's what little girls are made of.

Even at 5 years old, this used to tick me off--I wanted the puppy dogs' tails, not that vapid "everything nice." I'll bet lots of us on this this forum felt that way.

But how can we rewrite the nursery rhymes for our bikes?
    Here's mine:
    Rubber and steel and everything real: that's what my bicycle's made of.
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by fatbottomedgurl View Post
    Steel is flexible for a smoother ride. Aluminum is lighter but a stiffer less forgiving ride. Carbon is light and forgiving.
    BFG, all of this is not necessarily true. It depends on the tubing and the manipulation of it (diameter, wall thickness, butting, etc.), the geometry of the frame plus where each type of tube is used in the frame. There are carbon and steel bikes that will also beat the crap out of you because they are so unforgiving. Some of the newer aluminum tubing is getting good reviews. Plus, a rider's weight makes a huge difference in how each materials' ride characteristics are perceived. These days, such generic statements really don't apply.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

My bike's made of "high tensile carbon steel"
    There are a lot of unwanted, unloved bikes out there - go on give a bike a good home

Quote Originally Posted by Python View Post
    My bike's made of "high tensile carbon steel"
    i guess that means it's high strung?
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA