PDA

View Full Version : Diablo Weather

SadieKate
03-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Oh, Miss Kim, our official mountain watcher? You out there? What does Diablo look like? Bubba and I are thinking about playing hooky tomorrow afternoon and riding up. You think the winds will be too severe?

Veronica
03-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Let me know if you want some company. :)

V.

SadieKate
03-24-2005, 11:01 AM
I was thinking about you. Aren't you on break from the kiddies?

Here's the thing. I have a dr's appt for a funky wrist (mtb fall last July, believe it or not!) at 10:15 am. An X-ray was taken last August but I don't know if they're going to want another X-ray or an MRI or what. It's obviously not an emergency so I'm going to do whatever it takes to get the heck out of there and head for Diablo. It's too sunny to waste the day sitting in waiting rooms. If you don't mind a little suspense on the timing, company is always welcome.

I'm not sure we'll be able to be on-line between the appt and getting on the road, can you PM/email me a phone number?

By the way, what does the weather look like your way? Beautiful puffy clouds here. Sometimes window offices don't help one's concentration level.

Veronica
03-24-2005, 11:43 AM
It's sunny here. We spent the morning grouting the bathroom. It looks great, but I'll be glad when this project is done. Thom's new piano is being delivered sometime between 4 and 7, that's mostly why he stayed home today.

I'm flexible on the time. :)

V.

aka_kim
03-24-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm playing hooky tomorrow morning for a Diablo ride. At this time the weather report is: sunshine one moment, clouds the next, about 60 degrees and breezy. I don't see any severe weather warnings in the weather report, so winds on Diablo should be bearable tomorrow.

I hope to see you guys up there. We're starting in WC around 10:30, so should be climbing sometime after 11.

SadieKate
03-24-2005, 02:18 PM
Ooooh! All these great minds!

The plan is to meet at Arbolado at 1 pm because of my dr's appt. We may be able to make it earlier but since V may ride from her house it will be hard to juggle the schedule. V, if you want to go earlier and ditch us I'll understand. Please leave cookies at the summit :p .

Veronica
03-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Well I wasn't planning on bringing any - mostly because I only have 3 left. :p And Thom gets those in his lunch tomorrow. Maybe I'll bake in the morning... I need the miles so I'll be riding from here - Deer Valley to Marsh Creek to Pine Hollow to Ygnacio. It's about 30 miles, if the wind is not too bad (they're forecasting 10 - 20) it should take about 2 - 2.5 hours. Thom is going to pick me up on his way home from his lesson. Of course I'd have a tail wind on the way home...

Maybe I'll wake up feeling all energetic and ride over Morgan Territory and the South side of Diablo instead.

V.
Morgan Territory (http://www.tandemhearts.com/dmd/slides/DSC01545.JPG)

aka_kim
03-24-2005, 02:50 PM
Maybe I'll wake up feeling all energetic and ride over Morgan Territory and the South side of Diablo instead.
Oh, so if you feel energetic you'll do MT, but if you just feel so-so you'll ride 30 miles out to Diablo, then ride to the summit? And you're doing a double Diablo on Saturday too? You'll be ready for the full DMD by next month!

Veronica
03-24-2005, 03:25 PM
I was then going to ride up the North side with Sarah and Bill. I figure that will give me a real indication of how far I can get on DMD. I'd like to make it to the top of Hamilton this year. But I really need to work on lower back. It's what quits every time. Time to start doing ab work I guess.

It's about 50 miles from my house to the Junction and almost 5,000 feet of climb. Maybe I'll meet Sarah and Bill there. :D

V.

SadieKate
03-24-2005, 03:38 PM
IIt's about 50 miles from my house to the Junction and almost 5,000 feet of climb. Maybe I'll meet Sarah and Bill there. :D
V.
Meet us where? The junction?

aka_kim
03-24-2005, 03:46 PM
LOL. This is getting amusing.

OT, Sarah, I really like your new avatar. Will you and Petunia be getting temp tattoos with this design?

Veronica
03-24-2005, 03:55 PM
The Ranger Station where the north and south gate roads come together is where I was thinking I'll meet you Sarah.

And what's so funny Kim? No more cookies for you. ;)

V.

SadieKate
03-24-2005, 04:14 PM
Kim, I think we should just put an avalanche locator beacon on her. Thanks about the logo. Petunia hasn't even seen it unless she's been on the forum lately.

V, doesn't Ranger Station = Junction? Your route sounded like it was going to take you all over the south bay. BTW, if Thom doesn't want to pick you up, we can deliver you home. We'll have the bike bus.

Heading for home and a day of fun! Yeah!!!!!!

Veronica
03-25-2005, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the offer of a ride. I told Thom and he said, "Why wouldn't I want to pick you up?" I love that man. :D

So, let's talk weekend plans. He still needs to do Diablo twice. We're thinking mountain bike on Saturday and road ride on Sunday.

Is Mount Tam a go for the weekend? Or you going to reschedule?

V.

SadieKate
03-25-2005, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the offer of a ride. I told Thom and he said, "Why wouldn't I want to pick you up?" I love that man. :D
Well, if he is unable to pick you up offer still stands. :)

So, let's talk weekend plans. He still needs to do Diablo twice. We're thinking mountain bike on Saturday and road ride on Sunday.
Is Mount Tam a go for the weekend? Or you going to reschedule?
Weather looks good until Monday so Tam is a go. Bubba's Bday was Tuesday and he's been looking forward to this for a long time. He wants to go even though our group keeps shrinking. One couple just called because his father went into the hospital for emergency surgery; Robb is sick and the list goes on. We still have a few people who are committed so we feel we need to go. We invited our friend, Chris, on this ride and it turns out that he is leading a FATRAC (the Sac mtb club) ride there on the same day, so he doesn't have a choice.

aka_kim
03-25-2005, 07:45 AM
Sunny, slight breeze, no clouds, 50-ish but warming. If the winds don't pick up at elevation it should be a great day for riding.

SadieKate
03-25-2005, 08:05 AM
Thanks! Hopefully, we'll see you there. Off for breakfast and the docs.

Adventure Girl
03-25-2005, 08:08 AM
There is an "X" factor between certain couples. I don't see it very often; I only know a handful of couples who have it. But I can tell just from reading your posts that you two have it! And couple who has "IT" doesn't have to be told that they shouldn't take it for granted. You're lucky. And so is Thom. Ain't love grand!!??! :p

Sorry for the thread hijack.

aka_kim
03-25-2005, 02:35 PM
Yes, V is very lucky. But so is Sarah. And you too, AG.

Hope you guys had a good ride! I was a little unhappy with the weather, when the clouds moved in it got awfully chilly. And V, sorry if I pushed a hot button when we passed, I didn't hear what you said but you didn't sound happy. C'mon you're riding Diablo, gotta be happy.

Veronica
03-25-2005, 05:11 PM
No buttons pushed - I was dying! I don't know the last time my legs have felt like they just had nothing. NOTHING! Yeah, I could keep spinning at my measly 4.5 - 5 mph. But accelerate for any reason - not happening! I did make it to the summit, but it was tough. Note to self - riding Diablo after 35 miles that weren't flat by themselves is hard. My HRM says I climbed 8,000 feet total. I haven't done the download yet, but that seems kind of high.

Thom thinks it was food issue. In retrospect I know I wasn't consuming enough. Anyway, it was gorgeous day and I had a lot of fun. I took a lot of pictures. If they're decent I'll post some later.

Morgan Territory was closed at about the 4 mile mark. Probably a good thing since I'm sure I'd really be toast now. But they didn't post it until the 4 mile mark. :mad:

Thom picked me up after going to Costco. I had Cheetos and Red Bull on the way home.

V.

aka_kim
03-25-2005, 06:28 PM
I understand having nothing in your legs, that's how I've felt for the last 6 months. Today I didn't even attempt to ride the 17% grade, I was already toast. Even walking it hurt. Normally if I can't ride it I'm to "ashamed" to walk up to the top parking lot, but the hammer twins I was riding with were expecting me.

So how many Diablos tomorrow?

Veronica
03-25-2005, 06:35 PM
Mountain biking it if the weather is good and a road ride on Sunday again. Of course Thom has to do both of those, I only have to do one. :D

V.

SadieKate
03-25-2005, 08:08 PM
I made it! All the way including the 17%!! Yippeeeee!!!! Happy dance time!

However, as usual, totally eclipsed by V and her mammoth ride. She rides 35 miles with a bunch of hills before we even start, and she still rides up that 17% grade.

SadieKate
03-25-2005, 08:10 PM
Ooops!

Meant to add:

PS, V - I still owe you money for the book! Sorry! Must have been the heady exhileration of making it all the way. Will send check if you send me address.

SK

Veronica
03-26-2005, 05:45 AM
Don't worry about the money - rental and washing fee of the gloves. :D Besides now you can tell me what all the flowers are.

V.

Irulan
03-26-2005, 07:26 AM
sounds like you gals are having way too much fun. I'm a former Contra Costan, in fact I was married on Mt Diablo at BBQ Terrace, and graduated from Monte Vista in Danville. I cut school way too many days to count and went up there to get above the fog.

What I'm trying to say is that I wish I'd known gals like you when I lived down there....

Irulan

SadieKate
03-26-2005, 09:31 AM
sounds like you gals are having way too much fun. I'm a former Contra Costan, in fact I was married on Mt Diablo at BBQ Terrace, and graduated from Monte Vista in Danville. I cut school way too many days to count and went up there to get above the fog.

What I'm trying to say is that I wish I'd known gals like you when I lived down there....

Irulan

We wish we'd known you, too. Maybe you can meet midway in Bend someday. :)

SadieKate
03-26-2005, 09:33 AM
Don't worry about the money - rental and washing fee of the gloves. :D Besides now you can tell me what all the flowers are.

V.

Oh, no, that's too much! I was going to report on the flowers anyway being the inveterate lover of quickly forgotten factoids. Besides, are we going to see you at Pardee next weekend?

Veronica
03-26-2005, 09:55 AM
Probably not going to poach Pardee. I think we're going to do yellow's slug Gulch ride.

V.

SadieKate
03-26-2005, 03:09 PM
Those 2 ft tall golden spikes of flowers from Devil's Elbow to the Summit? The Western Wallflower (Erysimum capitatum) is "especially prolific at Devil's Elbow and along the Fire Interpretive Trail." Member of the mustard family.

cindysue
03-26-2005, 04:22 PM
hey all,

is there a road ride up diablo on Easter Sunday? I've got loads of homework to do, but I may be able to ride up with you all..........

Veronica
03-26-2005, 04:37 PM
When I finally rolled out of bed this morning, I told Thom we could ride. I guess he picked up on my vibe that I was feeling lazy because we didn't. Lounged around this morning working on photos and taking shots of the new piano and then went drape shopping - have to block the piano from the sun.

So who knows what tomorrow will bring. It all depends on the weather gods.

V.