PDA

View Full Version : jobs...why is it so hard to get a good one?

cherinyc
10-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Hey ladies - I am admittedly depressed. It's temporary, I am sure, but....whenever I post a thread to you all about something that's bothering me, I always feel better afterwards so....here goes.

I am very very excited that I will be moving soon, to a place I really love. I've known about the move for a while, and BF has been working his butt off - all kinds of overtime - and secured us a nice savings so we won't be struggling w/ $$$ in the new city. However, I always pay my own bills - and make about 1/3 that he does, so my skimpy little savings will only last me about a month after my current job finishes on Nov 3rd. I really have my mind set on the job I am looking for, but it is a difficult industry to break into w/ out experience. So I am not sure how long I can hold out before I just take "something". Which will suck.
I am doing everything I can to get all kinds of contacts set up in my new city, before I get out there, but still. I'm a bit of a control freak, and not knowing is super tough for me. I just don't want to have to ask BF for bill $$, and I don't want to just take a job because I have to.

Why can't people just trust me when I say "I will kick A$$ at this job!!!!" ?

That's it - see I feel better already. Colorado look out, I'll be there soon.
Of course I figure that the days I'm still unemployed could be used to improve my snowboarding skills.:D

Hugs,
cheri

mimitabby
10-26-2006, 12:44 PM
maybe it's time to go back to school? I make the same salary as my DH...
no reason why you can't get some credentials, is there?

Squeaky
10-26-2006, 12:54 PM
How exciting!! Don't be depressed about these little nuisances. Go for it and don't lose sight of your goal. IF you temporarily have to fall back on your BF, that's okay because it all comes around. One day he'll need help with something and you'll be there for him. And IF you do end up eventually having to work a different job to get by, just make sure you keep putting the same effort into you're real goal. The problem occurs when you accept the part-time gig and no longer work towards your real endeavor because it's easier. Even if you have to do an internship while you waitress, you just gotta be persistant. Good luck and save me a spot on the slopes!! :p

cherinyc
10-26-2006, 12:59 PM
maybe it's time to go back to school? I make the same salary as my DH...
no reason why you can't get some credentials, is there?

ummm - yeah, already did that. I have 2 Bachelors degrees (and a lot of student loan debt).

paigette
10-26-2006, 01:11 PM
What is it that you want to do?

Do NOT give up hope, though, I just moved for a job that I thought I had no chance of getting (but wanted desperately). I've been here for a month & my boss was telling me that when it was down to me & another girl, my personality is what landed me the job. If the job fits you, it will show:D

chickwhorips
10-26-2006, 01:13 PM
don't worry. you'll find something down there. you can always get a part time job as a waitress (i know horrible as it sounds, you still make good money part time) and and look into getting into the job you want. or what about a temp agency? i did that for a while. made decent money until i got a job i wanted.

and like squeaky said, don't be afraid to fall back on him. no matter what you'll get by. your a strong woman.

han-grrl
10-26-2006, 01:38 PM
trying to find a job...IS a job in itself.

I feel for you, as when i got laid off, right on my 30th birthday, i was very depressed. I had broken up with my fiance at the time, lost my job and had a new car and student loan to pay for...

my new boyfriend told me to get away from the computer job search for a few hours every day. thats when i started working out (4 years ago).
it worked, because a few months later i decided i wanted to change careers...

so be patient, make sure you aren't spending too many hours searching...

also, perhaps a change in your resume may be in order? I changed mine at then got a ton of phone calls. my resume is a skills based resume, meaning i don't list jobs and then the things i did. i list skill categories, and then specifics

e.g. project management skills
-did this
-did that

then at the end of my resume i have a listing of my job titles, companies and dates all in a table.

this type of resume helps the employer see your skills more clearly.

anyway just some thoughts...

chin up!

Hannah

solobiker
10-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Good luck out in CO. My DH and just moved back to NY after spending 10years out there. We were about 20 miles north of Denver, kind of near the Boulder area. It was a great place to live and we really enjoyed it.

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-26-2006, 02:35 PM
Working for a temp agency can be a good thing for a while- they do take into account your degree and your particular skills, and they try to match you up with relevant temporary jobs. Often such jobs will lead to something else, or maybe even open new ideas to you for other things you might want to do.

If I recall correctly, it was your boyfriend who wanted to make this move to begin with, and you quit your job to do it, so (in my humble opinion) leaning on him financially for a month or two while you get a new job doesn't seem that unreasonable to me, especially since he makes 3 times as much as you do.

SalsaMTB
10-26-2006, 02:39 PM
Don't give up, you'll find the right job. Use any contacts you have and just keep trying. Also, I can't say this enough, but make sure you have a great cover sheet that really sells you. My husband had several interviews just because of his cover letter. I graduated with an electrical engineering degree, worked a couple years with it, hated it, and finally found a job in engineering, but a completely different field. It's hard to change fields once you work a few years somewhere, but it can be done!

Bikingmomof3
10-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Think of it as an adventure. You both have thought this through and planned accordingly. You will find the right something for you once you are there. Worst case scenario you pick up an odd job while you are job hunting. To me, it sounds rather exciting. You and your BF moving, not having to worry about young children. Enjoy this time in your life. It goes by all too quickly. Oh, I hope that did not come across as depressing. I love my life (well besides the stroke and TIAs). I just meant having a house, 3 dependent children, and many other lists of things) keeps us from moving back to a lovely state. Enjoy Colorado!! Enjoy this time in your life. Everythig will fall into place. You could always get a temp job teaching snowboarding. :cool:

cherinyc
10-26-2006, 04:01 PM
you guys are awesome!!!! thanks for all the positivity, you've no idea how much it helps.

LBTC
10-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Why can't people just trust me when I say "I will kick A$$ at this job!!!!" ?

Try saying that in an interview! Okay, well, maybe be a little less profane, but you get the idea! :D

And I like the idea of revamping your resume if you haven't yet. Listing skills and accomplishments is definitely the way to go.

During my recent successful attempt at an in-company interdivisional transfer, I was interviewed for nearly every position I applied for. Some of them were temporary, and when asked about why I would give up full time for temporary, I'd answer "you won't let me leave once I start working for you!"

I had a few serious disappointments along the way, but wouldn't change the job I ended up with now! (Treasury Assistant for a large private company)

You'll do great, the exact right job will be yours at exactly the right time!

oh, and if you'd like another set of eyes to peruse your resume....PM me and I'll take a look. :p

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

hsmpcycle
10-26-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm a little late in adding a suggestion. I just gave up my career to be a stay at home mom. I often feel very out of place with my new job. Lot of long hours, no break, and the people I work for are very hard to negotiate with.

Once you get to Colorado, check and see what the demand is on substitute teaching (if you like being around kids). They have flexible hours and decent pay. This is a great temp job until you get your dream job.

Lots of luck to you. You will LOVE Colorado.

chickwhorips
10-26-2006, 06:01 PM
you know it took me moving to bfe to find two great gov't jobs with two great female bosses.

Melstar
10-27-2006, 10:49 PM
I really have my mind set on the job I am looking for, but it is a difficult industry to break into w/ out experience. So I am not sure how long I can hold out before I just take "something". Which will suck.

In the field of work i'm in I can tell you straight up that I've most probably faced more rejections than most of ya'll here.

But the thing that really pulled me through was my super supportive family! Although I was in a completely different city, new home, new friends, those long calls home really helped put things in perspective.

From what you've told us i fugured you're stressing out over not knowing what lies ahead and whether or not things will work out.

Best advice I can give is to perserve at it if you really want it badly, keep an open mind i.e you may need to do things a little different in order to get what you want, and have a backup plan if things turn out for the worse.

But above all, try to take it easy and maintain a great atmosphere between you and your BF... i speak from experience :(

Good luck

HipGnosis6
10-27-2006, 11:09 PM
I've had a long string of "cool" but not necessarily "good" jobs. Those experiences have left me a little jaded and also a little bit more resolved about what I want.

I worked fast food - Wendy's, to be exact - because that's what highschoolers do.
Then I worked at Tandy Leather for a while. It was fun but it was also a drag - it was retail and I had to put up with a very high percentage of hicks, including the store managers.
Then I did product demo at grocery stores. That was OK except that it was weekends only; great hours for the young college student but not great for making any money.
Then I went off to WWU and started working at Jo-Ann Fabrics. I worked there for four years and ended as assistant manager.
I got offered a "cool kid" job as an assistant manager of a record store - it was just a mall chain store, but still. Music. Fun, right?
The corporate grind got to me, though, and when the chain got sold to a megacorporation I left to go work for another megacorporation but one that had a better rep for "coolness;" I had the right experience to land a short term position at Tower as a store level buyer. It's the only minimum wage full time job I've ever had. It was a fun summer, but I wasn't sorry to go back to school. I then worked one quarter as a christmas season temp at yet another chain record store.
When I came home from school, it was 2002 and the post 9/11 slump was still on in droves; I took a job through a sketchy temp gig and wound up working in the warehouse for an internet shoe retailer for just short of three years. I got fired on Christmas Eve for ridiculous reasons, but I was already working at another "cool kid" job part time, so I just went full time there and went on.
That "cool kid" job promised ethical business practices and failed to meet them. After almost two years there, I left in August when the owner asked us to be complicit with business practices that were not just unethical but probably illegal. And they paid bad because they expected you to consider your "cool kid" status as part of your recompense package. Screw that! but they did give me exposure to and experience in the apparel manufacturing world.

Well, if I hadn't gone through those experiences I'm sure I would never have chosen to go back to school again for a trade (can you call fashion design school a trade school?). It's been wonderful, but it's a competitive business and I worry that when I get out that I won't be able to find work and have these huge student loans to deal with. For once I'll be that person who DOES have experience where the people I graduate with don't.

As it is I struggle to find work because I'm either overqualified or underqualified for just about everything....

cherinyc
10-29-2006, 09:15 AM
As it is I struggle to find work because I'm either overqualified or underqualified for just about everything....

my problem as well. During the post 9/11 slump, working in Manhatten, I decided to go back to school - figuring that while the job market was struggling I would be getting another degree. So now I have 2 degrees, and I am overqualified to be an Admistrative Assistant (aka Secretary) but not qualified to be a Project Manager. What i have encountered though, is that once you take that Admin job you get pigeonholed. I took a temp Admin job (my first Admin experience) and surprise surprise, I am a great Admin because I have been an Executive in the past and I'm not an idiot. However - it makes people see me as JUST that. (nothing against any assistants out there, I am just hoping that my $35000 worth of school will get me more).

For all of the resume suggestions from everyone - been there/done that. I have revamped and revamped. Here's the deal...I am trying to break into Pharmaceutical Sales and the majority of the Pharm companies out there want you to have a minimum of 1 yr previous sales experience. (I have worked in the Marketing Department of a Pharm Company for 8 mths now). I have been a buyer at Macys and a Sales Analyst for La Prairie Cosmetics (using my business degree) then I went back to school and got a degree in Communications.
If I could get the face to face interview, I know I could sell myself on the job, but before these companies will even talk to you they make you go through a long online application which asks the question "Do you have atleast 1 year of previous Pharmacetical Sales Experience?" Once you answer no, your resume/profile gets bumped out. I can't lie and say I have experience so....not sure what to do.

Dogmama
10-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Send your resume anyway. Don't take "no" for an answer. If (when) you find the job you want, call the HR manager and/or the person who is hiring. Tell them you have two degrees in related fields and experience in corporate, including retail.

You'd be surprised at how many losers you get in an interview. I have interviewed people for several positions lately and I'm amazed at:

1. Lack of appropriate dress
2. Lack of knowledge about our department
3. Making up stories (lying) about their experience
4. Inability to follow directions on the application (e.g., "list your positions starting with your most recent" often generates a list of jobs starting with high school!)
5. Horrible grammer, spelling and punctuation on the resume

I was willing to relax my initial standards if I could find somebody who had potential. I would think that showing lots of initiative in a field like sales would be admired.

DM (who is checking this message for spelling, grammer & punctuation)

Kitsune06
10-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Grammar?
I've had enough 'cool' or 'weird' jobs to at least be able to say in an interview "I've looked into my possible interests, and I'm returning to Admin Assistant positions because it's something I can both excel at and enjoy."

Started out at Taco John's in a gas station/travel plaza. Did that for a year during high school, just short of full time. Hadda pay my phone bills somehow.

Dropped that when I graduated after saving up to fix the metro to go to Oregon. Got a job that winter at a little family software company (no kidding 'family', mil and dh were working there at the time) as a janitor, but they got nudges from dh and mil that I'm good with computers, so they had me do odd admin tasks. I was told to "stay as long as it took to get the job done" so I stayed 8 hrs a day and was upgraded to 'official full time'... climbed the ladder and was made official Admin Assistant, then manager for different little admin aspects...

Fastforward to after my move, job hunting was *hard*. I eventually got a job at a piercing shop as the 'tool girl'- sterilization/cleaning.

Call center work followed that, and just before I swore I'd hang myself with my headset, I got my security job.

Security job pays the bills, but also requires a type of thinking I'm totally unfamilar with. ...going back to admin work... :eyeroll:

Such is life. So many lesser interviews where I lost and didn't quite know why, and yet this fairly prestigious place has hired me (pending credit check) ... so I guess you never know?

Dogmama
10-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Grammar?

I'm toast without spel chek

But, I know that little line under the word means something...

run it, ride it
10-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Oh, jobs. I have a black hole of one every summer season. Absolutely horrid working conditions (HOT, polyester, cleaning human excrement out of campground showers without proper equipment, questionable management)--but it pays (government), it has steady hours. That's why I keep going back.

I live in a tourist town. The work is seasonal. Fine for me, as a student.

I used to work as a restaurant hostess. Couldn't take the summer tourists. I switched the kitchen for a few seasons--four years I worked for the same people doing the job of at least three people and never got a raise above student minimum ($6.40CDN). I was working 80+ hours a week at age fourteen--labour board? What's that? We didn't get breaks, even after 10-12 hours straight. Kitchen management was awful, so I left.

Worked nights for two years in my current position--SAD really got to me in the winter, so I took days last summer. Which is worse: trying to stay conscious cleaning up vomit in the wee hours (11pm-7:30am), or trying not to pass out from heat exhaustion (12pm-8:30pm) pushing your way past tens of tourists to remove the poo pile someone left in the shower? The question is rhetorical, at best. It's the pay I can't turn down. NO ONE wants to do the job I do. The pay reflects that. But even then... some messes I come across are a real struggle to justify going near no matter WHAT they pay me.

But hey, nothing could be worse than cleaning maliciously placed feces on a daily basis, so I will appreciate every other non-fecal job I have just on that basis, right?

Remember: no matter how bad your job is, at least you don't have to scrape poo off the floor. Doesn't that make you feel better?

SheFly
10-30-2006, 04:39 AM
Found this article this morning, and thought it might be useful: http://bostonworks.boston.com/news/articles/2006/10/29/ten_tips_to_help_you_find_work/

Good luck!

SheFly

cherinyc
10-30-2006, 05:41 AM
Found this article this morning, and thought it might be useful: http://bostonworks.boston.com/news/articles/2006/10/29/ten_tips_to_help_you_find_work/

Good luck!

SheFly

some interesting suggestions - thanks!