PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm... waiting for spring....

Tri Girl
12-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Since winter has set in and all hopes of touring are on the backburner until at least late March/early April, I find I am missing touring. Not that I go a lot, not that I do big long tours, but I miss the overnight sub-24 hour weekend getaways of summer and fall....
I guess there is *only* 105 days until I can begin planning again...;)
Until then there is always www.crazyguyonabike.com to get me through.

Cataboo
12-07-2010, 08:39 AM
I was just thinking yesterday that the only benefit of winter is snowsports, and since I usually fly out west to be able to do those - I should totally move somewhere where I don't have to deal with cold weather.

Tri Girl
12-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Good point!
We don't have winter sports within a 12 hour drive, so I find myself asking: why do I live here again????? ;)

At least if I had snowboarding, skiing (cross-country and downhill) or other fun things to look forward to it might perk my attitude up- but no. Just ice and cold. :rolleyes:

emily_in_nc
12-07-2010, 05:28 PM
I really hate cold weather. All I want to do this time of year is cook and eat and read and hibernate. I have to content myself with gym workouts and long walks all bundled up outdoors. I am already counting the minutes until springtime. Winter sports...bah humbug! :D

Crankin
12-08-2010, 03:49 AM
I love winter sports, but I think part of it has to do with the fact that the actual season for them around here is very short. I know this sounds weird for New England, but in the past 5 years, we have not had a lot of snow on the ground in the Boston area. Back in the mid nineties, we had a few winters in a row that were very snowy, and that's when I started x country skiing; I just went to the local ski area or golf courses and never experienced any real tough terrain. I didn't have the right clothes and often felt uncomfortable, but I loved the activity. Then we met our friends we ride with and they taught us about real nordic skiing. But, it mostly involves longer car trips up north.
This is the time of year I don't like. It's really cold right now, no snow. DH brought the bikes in and put them on the trainers yesterday. I have plans to ride outside Friday, but it's going to be freezing (30 for a high). I generally try to see this as a transition season, focusing on running and hiking outside, as well as on the treadmill, and upping the core work and yoga.
We plan our summer trips at this time of year and set some goals. I try to enjoy January and February for skiing and snow shoeing; by the end of February I am already thinking of getting the bike out. That usually happens by March 10, although sometimes there's another transition feeling in March, as it can snow a lot or be perfectly fine for riding.

emily_in_nc
12-08-2010, 06:27 PM
I think I'd really like cross-country skiing, but I've never lived anywhere where I could actually do it. We don't get enough snow in NC, and even on the occasions when we do, who has XC skis here? No one. So, winter is for the gym. It's been unusually cold here in NC lately too - lows in teens and highs in 30s, so it's made me a bit cranky! Next Monday one station is actually showing a HIGH in the 20s. :eek:

Crankin
12-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Emily, when I lived in Florida, in high school, many of my friends went to NC for ski vacations. They were always saying they were "going to the mountains." I bet some of those alpine ski resorts have x country areas, where you could rent skis. I know it's probably not super close to you, but probably no worse than when I have to drive to NH or VT. It might break the monotony of the cold weather... and it's no different than cycling: layers and wool is your friend. Plus, you get really hot and sweaty.

emily_in_nc
12-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Emily, when I lived in Florida, in high school, many of my friends went to NC for ski vacations. They were always saying they were "going to the mountains." I bet some of those alpine ski resorts have x country areas, where you could rent skis. I know it's probably not super close to you, but probably no worse than when I have to drive to NH or VT. It might break the monotony of the cold weather... and it's no different than cycling: layers and wool is your friend. Plus, you get really hot and sweaty.

I honestly have never heard of anyone doing XC in NC. It's possible in a winter where we get a LOT of snow (like last winter; they are forecasting much less for this winter). I know the downhill resorts here have to make snow using machines much of the time just to keep the runs snowy, the surrounding areas are often brown and snow-free! Despite the odd cold snap here and there (like this past week - brrrrr!), the climate is not what it used to be, and the snow totals in the NC mountains have been way down in recent years vs. when I was growing up.

But thanks for the suggestion; it is a good one! I know DH would enjoy it too so it's worth looking into if there is a place that has enough snow. The problem would be getting there and back on the roads if there's enough snow for XC. Living in central NC, we have no chains or snow tires, and I don't feel at all comfortable driving in snow since I do it so infrequently.

Crankin
12-10-2010, 04:29 AM
Yea, if they rely on snow making, they probably don't have x country trails.
As far as the driving, you can always buy chains. That's what we did in AZ, for our trips to Flagstaff. In fact, it seemed like no one had snow tires there, even up in the mountains. They all used chains, which don't cost much.