PDA

View Full Version : Tour de Park City

Alex
08-12-2007, 09:05 PM
During my post-ULCER high, I've started looking for my next century. :) I just found out there is a century on September 8 beginning in Park City. Take a look at the route:

http://www.tourdeparkcity.com/tdpc_route.php

I'm thinking about it, but I've never biked at that elevation or ridden the Mirror Lake Highway.

Any thoughts? Insight? Would it be better to wait for the Heber Century that is two weeks later?

Alex

sulis
08-13-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm out of town on a business trip but thankfully the fancy shmansy hotel my company has me at has computers for the guests.

I don't have much info on Tour de Park City but I just had to say I think you are nuts to be thinking about riding another century so soon. :D te he he

Alex
08-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Maybe just a little nuts....

Alex

sbctwin
08-14-2007, 05:15 PM
I went back to the tour de park city site and they now have posted the half century. This is very tempting!!!

sbctwin
08-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Ok, I signed up for the 50 mile ride. I spoke to a couple of people who have ridden parts of this and they say the 50 miler should be a pleasant ride, rollers, but for me, doable. I hope the weather stays pleasant....

Alex
08-16-2007, 09:03 PM
I signed up for the century route with the idea that I can go at least part of the way up Mirror Lake Highway if I choose. If the climb is too much, I'll just turn around. Either way, I think it will be a beautiful ride and good training for the Heber Valley Century. :)

Alex

Alex
08-19-2007, 12:46 PM
I started in Kamas and rode 21 miles up the Mirror Lake Highway. The climb was fine and the scenery was quite nice. we climbed about 2400 feet. I didn't go all the way to the top because I needed to get home, but it seems like the route must get exponentially steeper if it goes to 10,700 feet in elevation. I turned around at about 8600. There was major wind today and I'm not sure how I ended up with headwinds in both directions. Honestly, the headwind was better than the crosswind that kept trying to throw me out into traffic. :eek: I didn't particularly enjoy being passed by the extended cab pickups that were towing fifth wheels and boats. Yes, being towed by the same vehicle! In some places, the shoulder is about 6 inches wide and I was riding on the white line as far over as possible. The descent was great when there was no vehicular traffic.

I drove to Kamas on 248 and, frankly, that's the part that has me concerned. There are some major climbs between Route 40 and Kamas, particularly east of Jordanelle. SBCTwin, they didn't look like rollers to me, but maybe I define rollers differently than your friends! I have revised my plan for the TdPC. I am going to do the half-century. :o It will be challenging enough for me!

Alex

sbctwin
08-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks Alex. I am getting a little concerned about this. It will be a VERY challenging ride, but the 2 who have ridden some or all of this, say the 50 is doable for me. I am a slug on hills, but I just grind it out. I was ride-less this weekend because of a work training I had to attend on Fri and Sat. Today I just needed to sleep in because the class was very intense for me. I did get to enjoy a front row seat of the Key bank building implosion when it was realized I would need to stay the night at the Marriott (I wouldn't be able to get to class on Sat morning if I didn't). I can do a ride next weekend that will incorporate some climbing and then Labor Day weekend I will be gone and again, ride-less. Oh well. I paid for it so I better at least make an effort.

yellow
08-19-2007, 04:11 PM
No kidding those aren't rollers. :p When I ride out that way I usually turn left and go down Brown's Canyon. I'm not super fond of riding along higways like that, so I'd rather go a little farther and not have to worry about supertankers.

It's too bad the 50 mile route doesn't take you on Wooden Shoe Road...that's a nice alternative to riding on the highway through Oakley, though I suspect they aren't having folks go that way because there would be a whole bunch of riders having to turn left on to the highway where it comes out.

(I'd gladly lead another ride up Wolf Creek Pass...wide shoulders, less traffic, beautiful scenery, all topping out at 9400'. I think sulis said she'd like to do it again. You ladies just say the word. :D )

sbctwin
08-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Hmmm, Wolf Creek Pass? I probably need the hill 'practice':rolleyes: . Next Sunday would be my best bet....or possibly next Saturday...

BikeDutchess
08-19-2007, 07:50 PM
I'd be interested in Wolf Creek Pass too! [I can't do Tour de Park City but need to train my climbing legs for the Vegas to Phoenix thingie next month.]How long do you think it would take? I could probably do either day next weekend, but I have another obligation later in the afternoon on Sunday.

Lifesgreat
08-20-2007, 07:58 AM
I think I will have to wait until next year to ride WCP with you. I am too sluggie right now. :o

Alex
08-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Sounds interesting! How many miles?

Alex

Alex
08-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Today, I rode what looks to be the half-century route on the TdPC website. PCHS to Kamas on 248, then 32 past Peoa, a left turn up Browns Canyon, and then finishing up on 248. It's actually only about 35 miles, so perhaps the route map on the website is incomplete. SBCTwin, the climbs on 248 are not bad at all! :) It looked much worse from the car than it actually was on the bike. I predict that you won't have any problems. From Kamas to the Browns Canyon turn, it's mostly downhill. Browns Canyon wasn't difficult either and it is quite pretty. Makes me want to try the century after all. ;)

Alex

sbctwin
08-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Glad to hear the report, Alex. I did a BBTC ride yesterday and there was (for me) a lot of climbing, but nothing compared to what TdePC might be. I know for me, I am a 'slug' and I just get up the hills (put my head down with some visual and make it up to the top). I feel I have 'accomplished' something when I make it to the top. Then the glorious downill. I love downhill after a successful climb :D and grin the whole way down. Alex, you have accomplished a lot this summer and you should go for it. You can always turn back at some point where you think 'you have had enough' of the climb.

Alex
08-30-2007, 06:50 AM
The Tour de Park City website has been updated. Now it says that the total elevation gain for the century is about 8000 feet. That makes more sense than the 13,000+ they originally estimated for the route. It also looks like the 100-mile route is more like 92 miles.

Alex