Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

"Cycling for a better environment"

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Everyone!

This article was in my local newspaper - thought you might be interested.

http://www.dailynewstribune.com/loca...rticleid=75301

Have a good day!

Denise

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".
    Immanuel Kant

Hmmm, I have to say I found that paper mentioned in the article to be a bit ridiculous. I mean if someone is going to say that a healthier way of life, be it through cycling, running, or any means of regular exercise - is then going to cause an increase in consumption - then pray tell, what is the alternative? should we all get off our bikes and sit down at Mcdonalds daily so we can be dead by 35? What it doesn't mention is how destructive those non-healthy lifestyles are - fast food is incredibly costly in terms of resources used to raise livestock - meaning water, soil, grain, etc. THen you have to consider the enormous costs of medical care for those that live sedentary lives. There are a slew of other factors - I thought the paper was turning reason and common sense on their collective heads!

I agreed much more with what the gentleman from the bicycling group said....focus on using fewer resources, less destructive practices.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Well it's ridiculous because it's not about healthy people living longer instead of "conveniently" dying off for the good of society(!) - it's about healthy people (of any age) not requiring all kinds of expensive medical care BECAUSE they are healthier.
    It's about a 60 year old in excellent health NOT using up the "resources" of our society, as opposed to an out of shape overweight inactive 60 year old with clogged arteries who has heart attacks and diabetes and high blood pressure etc etc. and requires all kinds of medical services and hospitalization and nursing to be kept going and becomes totally disabled by their conditions. Who uses more "resources"?
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well put, Lisa! What a ridiculous article!!

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard