Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Does simple green

To disable ads, please log-in.

cause plastic to turn that ugly milky color like I have seen other degreasers/clearners do ? I once had the plastic thing that is between the rear cassette and the spokes ( it actually attaches to the spokes I think) turn ugly after cleaning the cassette and chain and I don't want that to happen on my current bike. Thanks for the help ladies

There was a recent discussion about the plastic thing. It has a name and is totally unnecessary and can be removed.

Does anybody remember this thread?

Something like "I'm a dork". Maybe search "dork"!
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Thanks for pointing the way to the "dork disk" thread. Mine is coming off - the kids at school already think I'm a dork because I wear a helmet

Man, I'm sorry I read that thread, because I still have the dork disk on my Bianchi, since my husband doesn't have a tool to remove a Campy cassette. He says I have to figure out how to remove it myself since I'm the one who wanted Campy. And I am too embarrassed to ask the bike shop to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by xeney
    Man, I'm sorry I read that thread, because I still have the dork disk on my Bianchi, since my husband doesn't have a tool to remove a Campy cassette. He says I have to figure out how to remove it myself since I'm the one who wanted Campy. And I am too embarrassed to ask the bike shop to do it.
    Take a pair of needle-nosed pliers and break away bits and pieces of the dork disc. It'll only take a few minutes.
    Make sure your derailleur L limit screw is set properly. You don't want that chain jumping over the large cog and jamming between the cog and spokes. The dork disc prevents that from happening in case your derailleur is maladjusted.

As soon as I posted that, he came in to the computer room with the remains of my dork disk in two pieces. I think he used needle-nose pliers, but it looked like he let the dog at it.

Either way, it's gone!

So, now that I've stopped cracking up over the "dork disk", let's continue talking Simple Green

I think I read on a bottle of the stuff that it's supposed to be diluted. Do you all use it straight from the bottle, or do you add water first? And do you rinse it off with water, or just wipe the bike down after spraying it on?
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

All of the above!

sorry, but I use it straight and diluted, sometimes I rinse it off, sometimes I just wipe it off. Depending on how yucky it is and how concentrated the use.

(undiluted = rinse it off. Spray on a dilute mix = wipe it off)

Mix with water in the Chain Gang to clean the chain. Rinse with water by filling the Chain Gang with water and running the chain through.

Haven't had Simple Green do anything bad yet. And I still have my dork disk. Cuz I'm a dork.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson