Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'd go with steel, but then I really like steel. I'm biased.

From what I've gathered you can't put eyelets on carbon forks for panniers. Do you tour with front panniers?

Since you already have the steel fork to fit the frame, I'd just use the steel fork until you decide you don't like it after all.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Well, it turns out the steel fork from my classic won't fit, and they no longer sell 24" carbon or steel forks for 1" headtubes (the newer bikes are 1.125"). Georgena did say they can special order it, meaning they have a framebuilder make one. She gave me the name of their framebuilder, so I can have him make the fork when he intalls the S/S couplers. I am inclined to go with carbon, to save weight and for increased comfort. I don't use front panniers. Why would you go with steel?

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Triskeliongirl
    Well, it turns out the steel fork from my classic won't fit, and they no longer sell 24" carbon or steel forks for 1" headtubes (the newer bikes are 1.125"). Georgena did say they can special order it, meaning they have a framebuilder make one. She gave me the name of their framebuilder, so I can have him make the fork when he intalls the S/S couplers. I am inclined to go with carbon, to save weight and for increased comfort. I don't use front panniers. Why would you go with steel?
    Wait a sec....
    I'm probably way over my head here, since I've been reading your thread and I've just been in awe of your mechanical ability! I am totally out of my league when it comes to trying to fix anything beyond a flat on my bike! (That's what the DH is for).
    Anywho...
    I do have a '99 frame and it has a 1" headtube. I replaced the fork with a new carbon fork in Oct '05. (Still have the older carbon WoundUp sitting around) No special order - it was an Easton from my LBS (but cannot hold panniers or fenders). Does your crashed '01 frame need a new fork or the e-Bay '03 frame? I imagine the '01 has the 1" and the '03 has the 1.125"? I've seen 1" forks in Performance. Are they that hard to get?

I think she's looking for a fork to fit a 24 inch front wheel.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by DebW
    I think she's looking for a fork to fit a 24 inch front wheel.
    Ahhhhh.....
    Thanks!

Yes, that's what she needs (a 24" fork to fit a 24" Terry front wheel). And what is killing me is that I had a 2001 24" steel Terry fork lying around since I'd replaced it with a carbon fork. A few months ago, my DH was in a cleaning frenzy and threw out everything in his shed that we were no longer using -- including the fork! I am sick about it since triskeliongirl could have used it. To defend my DH, he thinks he asked me what to do with it, and I couldn't think of any reason to keep it, so he threw it out. I've completely forgotten that conversation, though! Sigh....

Emily

P.S. Now where is that little animated smiley that is banging its head against the wall?!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Don't worry Emily. I think I prefer carbon, and they said they can build it for only $200 which is very reasonable given that I only paid $100 for the frame (reynolds 853 Isis, amazing!). I am psyched about this. The frame is due here on monday. At this point, I think I will let the framebuilder build the fork in carbon, and install the headset, fork, and s/s couplers, but that I will do the rest of the build myself. That is also what the LBS guys suggested, they said installing the headset is hard and requires expensive tools, but then all that I have to do is install the bottom bracket, crank, FD, RD sti shifters, brakes, cables, stem and bars. I've installed sti shifers, stems, handlebars, a FD, a cassette and a chain before. I've never done the RD, bottom bracket crank or cables, but I watched the LBS guys do my bottom bracket and cranks and it looks easy, and I watched my husband do the cables, so I think I can do this. I also have to take all these parts off my classic anyway, so once I do that I'll understand better how they go on. It will also teach me once and for all how to maintain our bikes.

p.s. Thanks so much DEb W! Its advice from people like you that give me the courage to do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Triskeliongirl; 09-15-2006 at 04:46 PM.