Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    It sounds like we have the location down. There's a small convenience store and snack bar/grill at White's Ferry, so it's definitely a good spot to chill out for a while before we turn around. Is it too early to decide what time we want to meet?
    I'd prefer starting out fairly early, somewhere between 9 and 10 am.

As happy as I'll be for you when you sell your hybrid, Nicole, it would definitely be cool if you could hang on to it long enough to join us. It's starting to sound like that's what you're planning on
    I know. I'm definitely of two minds about this. I definitely want to ride with you and I definitely want to sell the bike, but I figure if I don't get it sold pretty soon I'll be looking at having to wait until spring. With the amount of interest so far, and the fact that I'll be out of town next weekend it's pretty likely I'll still have it. As a backup, does anyone have an extra trail-worthy bike I can borrow?
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    I'd prefer starting out fairly early, somewhere between 9 and 10 am.
    I usually don't get on the trail until after 1 pm, so I'll apologize now if I'm groggy that morning Regina, does that work for you? Mickchick, divingbiker? Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    As a backup, does anyone have an extra trail-worthy bike I can borrow?
    Shame I finally stopped procrastinating and donated my old all-terrain bike. It might have been too small, though. If I remember correctly, it had 24" wheels.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    While I've been planning to do this ride all along.....I've had this fear in the back of my head.
    And now what I suspected may happen is about to happen.
    My father-in-law down in Florida has ALS and is not doing well. At some point, we'll need to fly down - to help out my mother-in-law - but also, too, to say good-bye. We need to go sooner, rather than later. We've been coordinating weekends with DH's siblings and it's looking like "our" weekend will be the weekend of the 14th.
    If that's the case, we'll be making plane reservations tomorrow once DH works out the leave situation with his employer (I have a bit more flexibility in that department).
    So, I apologize, but it's looking like I may have to back out.
    I'll let folks know if anything changes (and, for what it's worth, I'd prefer an a.m. ride, too) and hope to hook up with you all again for a future ride or event.

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that, Regina. I hope that at whatever point he goes that he'll be in peace, and that it won't be too difficult for you, your DH and his family.

And definitely don't apologize for missing the ride. Whoever ends up going, we'll be sure to think of you and hope for the best.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."

HillSlug--It's only 25 miles, so why not come along? I'll invite my hybrid-riding husband so you won't be the only hybrid rider in the group (he refuses to let me buy him a road or touring bike and rode--suffered?--that hybrid in the Covered Bridge Metric).
    I'm a morning person and the earlier you get out, the fewer people you encounter. Believe me, it's worth skipping sleeping in and you can always take a nap in the afternoon.
    I'll do my best to make it, so long as weekend chores, etc. don't get in the way. If my ankle continues to feel strong, I'm going to do the Seagull on Saturday, but if my tendonitis comes back, I might not be able to join you, regardless (need to keep to pavement, if that's the case).

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Quote Originally Posted by mickchick View Post
    HillSlug--It's only 25 miles, so why not come along? I'll invite my hybrid-riding husband so you won't be the only hybrid rider in the group
    I'm trying to sell my hybrid to help pay for my new road bike. If I still have it I'm definitely planning to ride with you.

(he refuses to let me buy him a road or touring bike and rode--suffered?--that hybrid in the Covered Bridge Metric).
    I rode the 25 miler. It was a great ride.
    I'm going to do the Seagull on Saturday
    I've got my sights set on the Seagull metric for next year. Are you doing the metric or the miler? Please tell me all about it afterwards.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Wow, the fact that you gutted out 25 miles of Lancaster's hills on a hybrid is something. My husband finished the metric about 45 minutes, give or take, behind me and that's taking into account that I lost about a half hour, waiting for him at the lunch area! He was fried when he rolled in at the finish and couldn't even partake of the Turkey Hill ice cream. Don't worry--I ate his share while I was waiting for him (haha).

Hopefully, I'll be doing the metric century at the Seagull. The ankle is feeling good but I'm not going to push it. I had enough overuse injuries during my marathon days to teach me that ignoring an injury is the ultimate knucklehead behavior.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Quote Originally Posted by mickchick View Post
    Wow, the fact that you gutted out 25 miles of Lancaster's hills on a hybrid is something.
    Actually, I did this ride on my road bike. I got it the weekend before this ride and haven't been back on the hybrid since.

The toughest ride I did on the hybrid was 29 miles from Brookeville, up into Howard county, and back. It included about 1500 feet of climbing. I had to walk part of one hill. I repeated this same route on Saturday on the road bike and managed to do that hill, but road the last 10 miles in the rain
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Time to finalize this ride?

I think we've agreed to meet at Rileys Lock on Sunday October 15. I assume we'd meet at the parking area furthest from River Road, the one with the Porta-Potties.

I don't recall that we've set a time to meet, but I know some of us favored an earlier start, perhaps between 9 and 10am.

So, can we finalize a time? Who's in for the ride?

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Nicole
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

You read my mind, Nicole, I was going to post a similar message this morning.

9:00am at Riley's is on my calendar and the back parking lot makes sense to me. If by any chance it's already crowded, though, I'm sure we won't have trouble finding each other. Do we want to say that we'll be on the towpath and pedaling by 9:30? 10:00?

It will be cold!

It's likely to be pretty cold Sunday morning, with the overnight low in the 30's and the high for the day in the low 50's. Brrrr!

Anyway, I'll plan to be there at 9, dressed in layers.

Janice
    Last edited by divingbiker; 10-11-2006 at 04:45 AM.

9:00am at Riley's is on my calendar and the back parking lot makes sense to me. If by any chance it's already crowded, though, I'm sure we won't have trouble finding each other. Do we want to say that we'll be on the towpath and pedaling by 9:30? 10:00?
    Let's shoot for pedaling by 9:30, hopefully that way we'll actually be pedaling by 10

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    It's likely to be pretty cold Sunday morning, with the overnight low in the 30's and the high for the day in the low 50's. Brrrr!

Anyway, I'll plan to be there at 9, dressed in layers.

Janice
    I just bought a helmet cover and toe covers (hopefully I can make them work for mtb shoes) and I've got my tights and wind jacket ready.

Kali, divingbiker and I both drive Subaru Outbacks (mine gold, hers blue).

See you at 9am!
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Actually, as of this morning WeatherBug is calling for temps in the low 60's on Sunday. I'm hoping that a wind jacket and knee warmers will be sufficient, cause I'm just not ready for tights and a long sleeve jersey yet.

I drive a black Civic with, of course, a roof rack.

Anyone else? Mickchick, tulip? Regina, I hope you're able to join us, but if not we'll send out good thoughts for your family as we pedal.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Hi.
    We're leaving for BWI in a few hours - I'm just packing and finalizing the list of what to bring now (and, spending a last few moments on the PC! ).
    We won't return until Sunday evening. I'm bummed I won't be able to make this ride. Have a great time. I'll be thinking of you guys. Hopefully, we can schedule another TE event soon!
    Regina