Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've still got 10/15 on my calendar for a C&O ride. We just have to decide where we want to meet and what time.

I'm definitely also up for a non-riding get-together. Would a thread for that be more appropriate here or in Off-Topic?

Oh, and Regina- Happy birthday tomorrow
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Well, it's the 17th (Sunday) but Thanks!

I'd say let's keep the discussion here in the Regional section so we're not searching all over for it. One stop shopping.
    Whadaya think?

Quote Originally Posted by Regina
    Well, it's the 17th (Sunday) but Thanks!
    Y'all haven't noticed by now that I'm calendar-challenged?
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."

Is it too soon to decide which section of the C&O we want to ride on 10/15? (That's one date I'll be sure to get right... )

I'll be away for the next week, but when I get back I'll expect you all to have this ride all planned. I'll ride any part of it, but the area with lots of pedestrians around Great Falls would be toward the bottom of my list. Looking forward to it!

If I've still got my hybrid by then I'll likely ride, too. If it's been sold, I probably try to at least meet everyone before your ride and then head out for a road ride.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Riley's Lock is probably the most convenient-to-get-to spot upstream from Great Falls. It might be crowded within a mile or two from the lock, but beyond that it becomes fairly quiet and peaceful. My preference is usually to go much farther out. I rode the stretch from Point of Rocks to Harper's Ferry the other week and it was beautiful, and the trail was in very good shape. Plus, there's a very cool little coffee shop in Brunswick in between. It all depends on how far folks want to drive to get to the towpath. Here's more info: The C&O Canal Bicycling Guide

Nicole, are you going to start a thread for a non-pedaling get-together?

So...
    We're talking an "out and back" along the canal from Riley's Lock to...??
    Point of Rocks?
    Harpers Ferry?
    How far is it to each?
    It seems like about 25 miles one way to Point of Rocks? Or am I not reading that map correctly?
    So, that's a 50-miler? I've never done that on my mountain bike!
    Also, any word on a Mid-Atlantic discussion group? I think that would be GREAT!

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    So...
    We're talking an "out and back" along the canal from Riley's Lock to...??
    Point of Rocks?
    Harpers Ferry?
    How far is it to each?
    It seems like about 25 miles one way to Point of Rocks? Or am I not reading that map correctly?
    So, that's a 50-miler? I've never done that on my mountain bike!
    If I ride this on my hybrid, I think 50 miles is out of the question for me. 20-30 miles or so would be much more reasonable.
    Also, any word on a Mid-Atlantic discussion group? I think that would be GREAT!
    I emailed Susan Otcenas and also the guy who posted about the forum updates. I've heard back absolutely nothing. Maybe it needs more of us to ask, or perhaps I didn't ask the right person. I'm open to ideas!
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Depending on the trail conditions and how I feel, I'll do anywhere from 15 to 30 miles total round-trip on the towpath. I usually get on the bike with a vague goal in mind, go as far as I feel like going, then turn around and head back. Sometimes it's a point-to-point thing, other times I just turn around in the middle of the trail when I hit a certain mile marker. To me, that's one of the beauties of the C&O.

I think that, as far as enjoying the ride, it really doesn't matter too much where we start and end. I haven't kept track of where everyone lives, but aren't some of you going to be driving up from Va? For that reason, I haven't suggested spots farther upstream. If folks are willing to drive farther, though, there are plenty of places besides Riley's where we could start.

Riley's Lock (mile 22.8) to Edward's Ferry (mile 30.9) could be a short but sweet jaunt. The view of the river at Edward's Ferry is so pretty.

White's Ferry (mile 35.5) is a great spot, too, with the working ferry crossing the river and all. I haven't ridden there this summer, though, so I don't know what shape the trail's in. Heading upstream from there would take us by the Monocacy Aqueduct at mile 42, though we could certainly continue beyond.

Point of Rocks (mile 48.2) to Harper's Ferry (mile 60.7) is a bit longer, but a beautiful ride. And, if we choose to, there's the bonus of crossing the railroad bridge into Harper's Ferry to soak up some history.

I could go on, but you'd all probably begin to think I'm obsessed I really think the deciding factor is what kind of driving everyone wants to do to get to the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post

Riley's Lock (mile 22.8) to Edward's Ferry (mile 30.9) could be a short but sweet jaunt. The view of the river at Edward's Ferry is so pretty.

White's Ferry (mile 35.5) is a great spot, too, with the working ferry crossing the river and all. I haven't ridden there this summer, though, so I don't know what shape the trail's in. Heading upstream from there would take us by the Monocacy Aqueduct at mile 42, though we could certainly continue beyond.
    How about Riley's lock to White's Ferry with a stop at Edward's Ferry? That makes it a 25 mile ride.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Whew!!!
    You guys had me worried there for a minute!
    I was thinking...50 miles on a mountainbike?! Yowzaa!
    Rileys to WF sounds like a great ride. I was actually thinking of something along that line. The one time I did that ride, I don't think we got as far as the Ferry, so it would be nice to see it.

Whew!!!
    You guys had me worried there for a minute!
    I was thinking...50 miles on a mountainbike?! Yowzaa!
    Rileys to WF sounds like a great ride. I was actually thinking of something along that line. The one time I did that ride, I don't think we got as far as the Ferry, so it would be nice to see it.
    Sorry, I should have said roundtrip!
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    Sorry, I should have said roundtrip!
    Oops...No, I know that's what you meant. 25 round trip sounds great.
    I was thinking of the 50 round trip if we went all the way up to Point of Rocks...

It sounds like we have the location down. There's a small convenience store and snack bar/grill at White's Ferry, so it's definitely a good spot to chill out for a while before we turn around. Is it too early to decide what time we want to meet?

As happy as I'll be for you when you sell your hybrid, Nicole, it would definitely be cool if you could hang on to it long enough to join us. It's starting to sound like that's what you're planning on