Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

exhausted feeling...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sigh. I've been trying to figure out why I feel so exhausted lately. It's not cause I don't sleep enough cuz I'm getting about 7 hrs of sleep a night... It's pretty much at this point do whatever I have to do during the day (ie. work, some combination of running, martial arts, biking or none of the above), then come home and want to just crawl into bed. Then I wake up the next day adn still feel exhausted . Anyone else feel this way or have suggestions for how I can stop feeling so darn tired all the time?

Have you had your thyroid levels tested?

Or maybe you need more than 7 hours of sleep. I'm a slug if I don't get at least 8 hours.

Or have you been over training? (Not a problem for me, that's for sure! )

Low iron levels maybe?

Hi liksani,
    I too have recently had that really exhausted feeling. I went and had my blood work done to rule out thyroid or low iron problems. Since everything looked fine medical-wise, I finally had to realize that the tiredness was due to overtraining. I've slowed down a bit and feel better.
    My advise would be to rule out any medical problems first, then go from there.
    Good luck and feel peppy again soon!
    If you can read this, take a pull.

liksani, you're not the only one. I've been exhausted half the summer and started getting migraines recently. Thyroid and iron are both fine. Sleep is regular and sufficient.

I think I've just been working too hard! We were extremely understaffed this season in the provincial park I work for, so I had to get through twice as much labour every day.

I just finished work for the season and I'm moving myself back to school tomorrow, the horse back Saturday, unpacking Sunday, then classes start Monday! I'm actually looking forward to sitting in class for a BREAK from physical labour!

In the past I've been able to push myself a lot further. I think as we get older our buffers run lower, especially if we were heavily stressed from a young age. I used to survive off of three hours of sleep or less a day; now I can't even pull one all-nighter without completely crashing. I worked nights two years in a row--I had crippling SAD last winter for it, so I'm strictly operating in daylight now.

Remember, stress builds up. Sometimes just a day or two off isn't enough to recharge.

Everything the others said - start by ruling out thyroid and other medical causes right away - and omega 3 (fish oil or flaxseed oil) and B12/folic acid supplements help me a lot.

Are you depressed?
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama
    Are you depressed?
    That's a pretty good one -- my immediate question, thinking back to when I was a youngun, was "are you pregnant?" Cuz that sounds much like me back in those days, except for all the exercise: I didn't even have the energy for THAT!

Karen in Boise

How much water are you drinking? I drink very little water throughout the day and was getting extremely tired and worn out. I focused on always having water with me and forced myself to drink more and it helped significantly. If you drink very little, you may want to give this a try!

I read the other comments. When I saw your post I immediately thought pregnant. I was so tired, I thought I had mono-nope pregant. Tiredness could be so many things. Please go to the doctor and let them rule out anything medical. It could be as simple as anemia. Take Care and keep us updated.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Girl do I know where you're coming from!! I get 8 to 9 hrs of sleep but still feel like taking a nap at lunch while at work (and sometimes do). I've been complaining of this for years to my dr. with no help. On the weekends there have been times that I'd sleep 9 hrs., get up for 2 hrs, sleep on the couch for 4 hrs. get up for a couple of hrs and then sleep all night long. To me this is not normal. My doc just says I don't know. Thyroid normal. Borderline anemia. Seems if they can't point to something obvious they just tell you to live with it. I'm going back to my doc AGAIN near the end of the month and I'm going to try to push the issue. Somthin' aint right! I'll let you know if he tells me anything I think could help you. Good luck.
    As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." ~Benjamin Franklin

A lot of the times when I'm feeling exhausted with seemingly no reason, its because of poor eating habits. It gets like a downward spiral. I start eating lousy and get tired easily then I'm too tired to fix myself proper meals.

I ALWAYS feel much better if I eat right and drink enough water.

i agree with pap103. when my eating habits are bad i have no energy and just want to crawl into bed.

i notice if i eat a lot of sugar i just get tired. i have energy for a bit, but then i just crash. (mental note #89: shouldn't have had that candy bar for lunch. is the day over yet?) if i'm on a good diet, i'm up and ready to go.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Today I fainted for absolutely no reason. Everything went black and I fell like a tree onto my face. I'd slept, I'd eaten, I'd had water... Doctor asked every question in the book and couldn't come up with a reason why it happened.

And no, I'm not pregnant either!

My face is a scratched, bruised, dirt-emdedded train wreck, though. Why do our bodies work in such mysteriously unpleasant ways?

Quote Originally Posted by run it, ride it
    Today I fainted for absolutely no reason. Everything went black and I fell like a tree onto my face. I'd slept, I'd eaten, I'd had water... Doctor asked every question in the book and couldn't come up with a reason why it happened.
    Yikes! You posted that you were having migraines too. Did you tell the doc about your headaches?
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid