Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okay, I think this is the condensed list of everyone's events thus far:

btchance Huntsville 1/2 November 11
    colby Seattle Marathon November 26
    Lise Chicago 1/2 Marathon October 01
    Liksani Nike Marathon October 22
    maillotpois Nike Marathon October 22
    bikergal Nike Marathon October 22
    limewave Chicago Marathon October 22
    Kaybee St. Jude 1/2 Marathon December 02
    RunningMommy WDW Marathon January 8

Thanks for putting together the list, Limewave. You ladies never cease to inspire and amaze me. Will the cyst pain go away sometime soon? I can't imagine running with that kind of pain.

What if we have a weekly thread (maybe on Mondays, since most people do their long runs on weekends) to post our long runs and seek or give support, advice, etc.? Some of us probably have training partners, but sometimes it helps to have someone else to talk to, and for those that are training alone, a support system is very important.

KB

Good luck to all of you!

I'm going to do the Wichita Half Marathon on Sept. 24. I just want to finish. I just did my first 10K in May, having been running for 4 1/2 years. You girls doing the full marathon rock! But I'd never consider a half marathon wimpy.

I just did an 8-mile run yesterday with 6 of it doing "speedwork." I have to laugh a little at the "speed" part since going that far it seems more like "regular-speed jog" than "slow-motion jog," but it felt awesome to complete it and still feel good.

I'll be thinking of all of you. I don't have a training partner - everyone else goes too fast for me or they give up if they can only go my speed. But I still love it. There's something about conquering the distance that's rewarding no matter what.

Deb

Mooathon (I'm not making this up)

I must say, ladies, those races sound very plebeian to me!

How about coming over to this side of the pond where, on 1 October, you go to Letterkenny in County Donegal and do what is being billed as a Mooathon.

It's a half marathon where everyone has to at least dress in black and white, and at best, as a cow! The race sponsor is -- surprise! surprise! -- a dairy.

In case you think I'm making this up, have a look:

http://www.mooathon.com

Regards and best wishes to all of you with your various races -- even if they're not mooathons -- from Beverly

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Fay
    Regards and best wishes to all of you with your various races -- even if they're not mooathons -- from Beverly
    The Mooathon sounds awesome! I would so do a mooathon if we had one here!

Quote Originally Posted by kaybee
    What if we have a weekly thread (maybe on Mondays, since most people do their long runs on weekends) to post our long runs and seek or give support, advice, etc.? Some of us probably have training partners, but sometimes it helps to have someone else to talk to, and for those that are training alone, a support system is very important.
    Good idea, KB. Hearing what works and doesn't work for some people might give us good ideas, and since we'll be at different points in our training you might be able to give pointers or read up on what you can expect.

Maybe we go weekly - the first person to finish their long run for the week starts the thread. We'd have to agree on how we determine the week -- does it start on Monday (longest run for the week starting Monday ending following Sunday), or Sunday (longest run for the week starting Sunday ending following Saturday), that kind of thing. I guess the daily ride reports avoid that by just being daily

Beverly - the Mooathon sounds wonderful. I wish we had one!!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

The Mooathlon looks like so much fun!

And I want the sweatshirt (or maybe just the fine Irish lad in the sweatshirt... ) http://www.mooathon.com/cowapparel.htm
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Beverly, the Mooathon sounds like a blast! There have been times when I've felt like a cow, slogging through the heat and humidity here!

Deborahjen, we can be your virtual training partners. How long will your longest run be before your half? When will you do it? (See, sharing and encouraging already.)

I know what you mean about speedwork. Fast I am not, so I gave up on speedwork a long time ago. It seemed like I was always hurting myself, so it wasn't doing me any good anyway. I just want to finish my half without walking a step. (Okay, I'll admit it, I would also like to finish it under 2:15, which would be a 10:30 per-mile average.)

Colby, I agree that we need to decide whether the week will run Sunday-Saturday, Saturday-Sunday, or something else. I don't have a preference. Does anyone else?

KB

The Running Week

Does everyone finish their "week" with their long run? That's what I do, but it varies from Saturday to Sunday.

Would it be weird if our running week went from Monday to Sunday? . . . just a thought.

Kaybee--my goal is to finish my half in under 2:15 too. My dream would be to finish in uder 2 hours (ha, ha).

I am doing a half in San Diego on November 19. I even talked dh into doing the 5K. A nice romantic weekend in San Diego with a half marathon in the middle.
    Brina

"Truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed; then violently opposed; finally, itís accepted as being self-evident." Schopenhauer

Quote Originally Posted by limewave
    Does everyone finish their "week" with their long run? That's what I do, but it varies from Saturday to Sunday.

Would it be weird if our running week went from Monday to Sunday? . . . just a thought.

Kaybee--my goal is to finish my half in under 2:15 too. My dream would be to finish in uder 2 hours (ha, ha).
    I think Monday to Sunday actually fits with most training programs that I've seen. They all seem to start Monday with long runs Saturday or Sunday.

I'm hoping to finish my half marathon in the middle of my marathon training similarly to you guys, under 2:15. It's a hilly course, though, so I'm a little worried. I also don't want to kill myself for my marathon training, so I'll have to take it a little easy or I'll end up taking extra days off and getting behind. The half marathon I did earlier in the year was after no real ramp-up or training -- I had never ran more than 12k in my life until that day, and the 12k was 3 weeks prior I have been doing 4-5 miles 4-5 times a week for a long time (months before the 12k and HM), though it felt a little aimless and I don't think it was really adequate training. A base, sure, but not really with any goal in mind.

Since this is my first year, I'm approaching everything with caution, maybe more than I should. I'm just afraid to push myself too hard and pay the price. After I've got a few things under my belt, maybe I'll kick it up a notch. I've already learned a lot about training (set a goal, follow a plan, vary your distances and speeds) that will really help me next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brina
    I am doing a half in San Diego on November 19. I even talked dh into doing the 5K. A nice romantic weekend in San Diego with a half marathon in the middle.
    I tried that with mine ("you can do the 5k!"), but he'd rather take his laptop and surf the web at starbucks for 2 hours and meet me at the finish He did do the 12k, but so did thousands of other people, including friends and people he could walk with.

My mother-in-law might be joining me at the marathon, though she won't be doing the marathon distance. She may do the half marathon or 5k distances, either as a walk or a jog/walk. Maybe with our powers combined we could guilt my husband and father-in-law into walking the 5k! It's only 3 miles, right?

LW -- I always finish my week with my long run on Saturday, so I can ride on Sunday. Then it's back to running Monday. It wouldn't be weird to have our running week go from Monday to Sunday -- 7 days is 7 days, any way you count it! Let's do it. Whoever logs on first Monday, just start the Marathon Training Thread for the Week of 9/11 (that's going to be a depressing day, isn't it?).

Colby -- it sounds like you are being very sensible, and I applaud you. On race day if you get to mile 7 and you're feeling froggy, you can always speed up. This is my third attempt at a half. The first two times I got too enthusiastic in my training and ended up injured. I'm determined to do it right this time. We can dream about finishing in under 2 hours, can't we? I'd have to work a lot harder and find a flat course (Memphis ain't it) to even come close, but it's nice to dream about.

Ladies, we each have a goal, we have plans to accomplish those goals, and we have a support system. Let's do it!!

KB

Quote Originally Posted by kaybee
    Deborahjen, we can be your virtual training partners. How long will your longest run be before your half? When will you do it? (See, sharing and encouraging already.)
    Thanks for the encouragement!

My longest run will be 10 miles - a week from Sunday. The 8-mile run with speedwork earlier this week was the most intense, so I'm getting ready to start tapering. After this Sunday's run, which will be 9 miles, I'll have 21 miles for the week which is the weekly max.--

Limewave - My running week is Monday to Sunday with the longest run on Sunday. I only have two more training Sundays left.

So how do the rest of you cope with tight muscles from all of this? I'm doing extra stretching and hope to squeeze in a massage appointment this weekend.--

Deb