Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Helmet Sizing

Helmet Sizing

To disable ads, please log-in.

So after reading through the Helmets and Cost thread, I'm thinking more seriously about getting a new helmet. But the one I've got my eye on (Giro Xen) is sized such that I'm smack on the borderline between small and medium, and I can't find a local LBS (or any other kind of store--big box sporting goods, for example) that carries this model, so I have to get it mail order, that is, without trying it on.

Have any of you been in this situation? Did you choose the larger size then make it fit better with the extra pads, or choose smaller and be happy with a nice, snug fit?
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

I'm on the border between Medium and Large with Giro. I can use the Roc Loc/Retention system to cinch it so it's snug.

extra helmet pads?

Hey Bad JU JU,

I don't know how similar your Giro helmet is to mine. I have the Giro Eclipse and I ended up with a medium, and wish I had gotten a small...cause everytime I go riding- my helmet always ends up lop-sided on my head, you know tilted slightly.
    Someone mentioned "extra pads" ...hmmm, mine did not come with extra pads....can I go into my bike shop and purchase these extra helmet pads? I also have the adjustment thing to the smallest, as far as it will go?
    Otherwise, I tend to wear a cap underneath the helment..I know doesn't look the greatest, but- hey, it works for me, and gives me a more snug fit. It annnoys me to have it feeling somewhat loose and sloppy. Anyway...let us know what you end up doing- okay.
    ~ Teresa ~
    Last edited by Trekn Teresa; 09-08-2006 at 10:06 AM.

Thanks to both of you--that was just what I needed to hear.
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress