Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Triskeliongirl View Post
    I use to ride with a terry liberator that is more like that, but only switched to the butterfly when it came on a bike I bought, thinking it was an 'upgrade.'
    I have the Terry fly on my Girl right now. It's actually not bad except the nose is a little long and since I only ride recreationally (albeit for long rides) I don't really need a "racing" saddle. I'm waiting for the Terry Liberator to arrive for this exact design, wider in the back, shorter but also narrow nose and a bit more cushion. This "touring" saddle sounds like exactly the right mix of features for me but.. as we all know.. sounding perfect and feeling perfect are completely different.

Before the fly, I had a stock WSD saddle with no cutout. It was quite comfortable except for a steadily increasing heat/burning in my soft tissues as the ride went on. Although the cutouts aren't for everyone, it really did solve this problem for me.

I just got a Specialized that comes in varying widths. That, and wearing a pair of liner briefs-- the kind you are supposed to be able to wear with regular shorts (HA!) under my riding shorts. That, and lubing up liberally has made the last few rides actually comfortable.

Definitely not a bartholin cyst -- the area she described isn't quite right for them, and unfortunately they don't go away with conservative treatment! (A doc needs to open them up.)

Bought a Serfas Carma a few months ago after a disastrously sore spot on a stock Allez. Life has never been better!

Hi Ladies, I came here seeking answers to the very same problem, chaffing! I ended up at the DR's cause I thought it was something bad and it was chaffing. I haven't figured out yet when it actually starts - definitely on long rides but everyone says lots of lube but what kind? This is more an internal chaffing some lubes I am fairly certian shouldn't be there!

I also ride a terry liberator which has a cut out, I kind of wish there was a bigger cut out and no padding in my shorts there......

welcome to TE, frayoch, it's clear why you are here.
    Try getting fitted to your bike first?
    as you read this particular thread, you can see that the original complainer
    switched saddles and her problem went away. So that's related to fit to.
    IMHO, the cutout doesn't help women. (but that's just my opinion)

I use chamois butter.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Perhaps the edges of the cutout are irritating your sensitive bits.
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    Perhaps the edges of the cutout are irritating your sensitive bits.
    Or it could be the type of cutout. I went from a Terry to a Selle San Marco Atola saddle and voila no more problems. Personally I love cutouts but not all cutouts are equal.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Quote Originally Posted by Trekhawk View Post
    Or it could be the type of cutout. I went from a Terry to a Selle San Marco Atola saddle and voila no more problems. Personally I love cutouts but not all cutouts are equal.
    And not all girly-bits are equal. Ask any gynocological nurse, some women have more soft tissue and some women have less. Women with more soft tissue tend to like cut-outs (or suffer numbness with a saddle without a cut-out). Women with less soft tissue don't seem to need a cut-out as much. No scientific study to back this up, just my experience fitting a variety of women over the years.

It also depends on how aggressive your riding position in. If you're a recreational rider and your bar is equal or higher to level of your saddle and you sit firmly back on your sit bones (like sitting in a chair), then a cut-out won't be as important to you as it would to a rider who tilts forward at the pelvis and rides in a more aerodynamic position with a lower bar and sits more on her soft tissue than her sit bones.

I'm actually using that Donna Butterfly (the breast cancer edition), trying to break it in for my tour. The good news is that I haven't felt any problems, even from day one. I like it better than the stock saddle on my bike, and I like it better than the Terry Liberator (which I felt was too wide).

Granted I only ride 25 miles in abut 2 hours in the park, going up and downhill, etc. So hopefully I will still continue to like the saddle, as it supports my sit-bones as well as minimize chafing. Oh, and I wear Sugoi shorts. I've had the saddle since late February, and I figured I'd know by now if I want to return it.

I guess the good thing about Terrys is that you can return them...which seems to be the case often, as all of us girls are unique

Quote Originally Posted by Meaux View Post
    I am getting a new saddle soon too. It's been okay, but I've been going on longer and longer rides and now my sit bones and the area around my perineum feel bruised as all get out. Any clue as to what kind of saddle to look for? I'm sort of interested in the Specialized Dolce. It's a little wider in the back and has the cut-out channel.
    Hi I rode a Dolce for years and recently a year ago changed tothe Jett and at first I loved it and now oh my god I cannot stay on it longer than 20 miles and I am trying to train for a double century so after todays ride I went back pulled the jett off and put my old Dolce back on...you know originally I took the dolce off because I wanted a sleeker faster cooler ( I guess) looking saddle and at first it was so good but now ................the LBH said i just need a new saddle ...well heck how often are you supposed to change your saddle good luck

Do your sit bones change as you get older? Or if you gain weight?

I've always ridden on a Fizik Vitesse and have never had problems and I ride them until I break them, basically. I put on on my newer bike and longer rides are uncomfortable! I don't know if it's me getting used to the bike again or if it's it. Or, I guess, that ever changing body chemistry.

I used to be able to ride in cheaper and less padded shorts and no chamois butter but things are changing I guess.

It kind of makes me laugh though because if I described the symptoms without saying what it was (burning when I urinate and itchy as it heals) it sounds quite a bit like a STD

I am looking seriously at those Brooks saddles. DH looked a bit exasperated and said "but you just got a saddle" which granted, I did, I just don't know why it isn't working!

Did they change them in 2007? Sometimes saddles are not the same even if they are from the same manufacturer or same year. Shape might be just slightly different, foam used is not the same, some material changed. Just a slight adjustment might change your feel on the saddle.
    I just got brooks after about 9 other saddles, so far it's ok, I am still breaking it in sort of to speak. Will see if it works out in the end. I need something that won't kill me on 50-100 mile rides and won't require a gallon of butter supply for one ride.
    Good luck with your search.

Am sure the saddle might've changed, I just didn't think it would be an issue. And you know, there might be variations within the same year kind of like when you buy two pairs of pants in the same size and same kind and and there are slight fit differences.

I did 30 miles on it today and loaded up on the butter. This was after 50 on sunday and 25 yesterday both without butter. Today I felt surprisingly good though I haven't showered yet. Usually it's when the water hits the chaffing is when I realize OUCH!

Am still toying with the idea of Brooks. I know it's shallow of me but they are just so pretty!

Well it's not shallow at all, I find brooks pretty too. If you are not after all comfortable on your saddle is it possible for you to try to exchange it or return it? You can always try out brooks from wallbike.com I am sure you know about their 6 months policy. Just research which model you need.

Angry Re: Saddle Sores from hell for the menopause set

I know what you're describing as I had the same problem for several years. Nothing helped except heading off to my gyn to have them opened and drained. Several years ago, after once particularly painful episode, she recommended a device called an Estring, which had just been released. It is an intravaginal ring, made of a soft, pliable plastic and it is impregnated with estrogen. It slowly releases estrogen over a 90 day period and it keeps the vaginal tissues from drying and thinning out. This in turn helps prevent bacteria from getting a toe hold and starting an infection. That device has been a god send as the number of those little demons has dropped dramatically and I'm able to bicycle without worrying about developing a new sore.

For chafing problems I use A& D Ointment, the diaper rash stuff in a tube. It will heal chafing overnight and is also good for windburn, especially wind burned lips.

La Victoria