Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoes

Shoes

To disable ads, please log-in.

Does anybody other than me still use regular shoes and regular pedals -- no clips, no cages?

I'm not ready to attempt clipless, yet. I need some new athletic shoes and wondered if anybody particularly recommends one kind over another for cycling, or if there's anything you can recommend I look for in a shoe I'll use for cycling?

Any particular sole that will grip the pedal better?

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

I used clips and Sidi MTB shoes without cleats. I planned to go to a clipless pedal eventually, and once I get my bike back under me I totally still will. I'm a little apprehensive about it and a lot broke right now.

The stiff sole REALLY improved my ride. I had foot pain after 5 miles when riding in sneakers, and that was cured instantly. Hill climbing improved a little, too. Shoes = good! I never tightened my straps on the toe clips, so I expect the same would be true on platform pedals.
    Aperte mala cm est mulier, tum demum est bona. -- Syrus, Maxims
    (When a woman is openly bad, she is at last good.)

Edepol nunc nos tempus est malas peioris fieri. -- Plautus, Miles Gloriosus
    (Now is the time for bad girls to become worse still.)

Pooks, I rode for quite a while with Specialized Taho bike shoes on "regular" pedals. I found that my feet needed the support of the hard sole that they put in bike shoes, and was lucky that the inexpensive style fit comfortably! They also gave me "more power" on my bike -- unless that was all in my head?

(DH wasn't so lucky about fit, he had to try on just about every shoe in the store, and getting him to take that time was CHALLENGING! But, he rode on the flat pedals with his bike shoes for a while too before we decided it was time to "go clipless")

Oops -- I'm still wearing those same shoes now that I've got the clipless pedals. There was some kind of plug in the sole that they took out to expose the place for the cleat when I made the change, so they didn't really LOOK like they were supposed to have cleats before I got them!

Karen in Boise

Thanks. I may try cages but for now, just need some good shoes.

And inexpensive sounds good. Worth a try!

I'd forgotten about the stiff-sole issue. I started off trying to learn everything at once, and buy what I needed while I was still in "spend money" mode. But the shoes never got addressed, and I forgot about the stiff sole thing.

Pooks, you might look at Shimano's MT30 or MT40 series. They are mountain biking shoes that are also good for casual riding without cleats. REI has the MT30s on sale right now. You can walk in them, they look like a hiking shoe, and they have a stiff sole that is really good for biking. If they don't have your size in this sale, wait a while; REI carries that line regularly and they go on sale all the time. I think I got my MT40s for about $25 on clearance a few years ago.

ETA: or if you happen to wear UK 36, sierratradingpost.com has several Shimano mountain bike shoes on sale for under $30! Just search for Shimano, and then look at the ones that look like sneakers.
    Last edited by xeney; 09-04-2006 at 09:57 AM.

Cool -- I'll look for those. I may also have to end up trying men's because of my big feet. 11 in US sizes, and my Dansko boots are 42, which is supposedly a women's 11 1/2 - 12 in US sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by pooks
    Cool -- I'll look for those. I may also have to end up trying men's because of my big feet. 11 in US sizes, and my Dansko boots are 42, which is supposedly a women's 11 1/2 - 12 in US sizes.
    Pooks, I wear a 10.5 or 11 wide and I got Sidi Blazes (their cheapest MTB shoe at about $115) in a size 42.5. Don't hesitate to try on men's shoes - in euro sizes you may need as large as a 44 depending on the shoe.
    Aperte mala cm est mulier, tum demum est bona. -- Syrus, Maxims
    (When a woman is openly bad, she is at last good.)

Edepol nunc nos tempus est malas peioris fieri. -- Plautus, Miles Gloriosus
    (Now is the time for bad girls to become worse still.)

Hi Pooks - any reason you are staying away from clipless???? Up until a week ago I was TERRIFIED of clipless...... all the posts here say you gotta expect to be "christened" by falling at least once and that you will forget to un-clip, etc......

So, I tried cages. Had one hell of a time getting my feet in them (kept stepping on the top of cage and getting the plastic stuck so my foot couldn't slip in).

After I decided I was a "big girl now" I held my breath, bought me some Shimano shoes, removed the plastic piece from my stock Shimano pedals, and clipped in........

Been a week now and have not fallen, forgot to clip out only once but made very nice recovery, and have not regretting switching for a minute......

Don't know if it offers you motivation. Just my 2 cents worth..........
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

Quote Originally Posted by CyclChyk
    Hi Pooks - any reason you are staying away from clipless???? Up until a week ago I was TERRIFIED of clipless...... all the posts here say you gotta expect to be "christened" by falling at least once and that you will forget to un-clip, etc......
    Chyk, your story sounds like me! I've been on the clipless pedals for a little over a month now and haven't fallen either!

Have fun shoe shopping, Pooks!

(I cut the velcro strap off my Specialized Taho shoes. Didn't like it, got out one of my good sharp Ginghers, and Whoosh! Velcro away! The other issue I had was that the laces were too short. I know that one doesn't want them real long, but they have to be long enough to tie the shoes shut! That was an easy fix...)

Karen in Boise

I'm ordering the Shimano MT 30s -- anybody know whether they run large, small, true to size?
    Last edited by pooks; 09-04-2006 at 06:21 PM.

I have the Shimano MT40W in size 42 - I think that translates to an 8.5 US size. That must be the men's size cuz they fit me perfectly and I usually wear a 9 1/2 -10 womens.
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

Thanks -- that helps. I went ahead and ordered two pair for me, one for my husband. I assume his will fit (he's not hard to fit) and I hope one of the others will fit me.

Does anybody other than me still use regular shoes and regular pedals -- no clips, no cages?
    ..............creeps in quietly to say this..............I generally wear my Animal flip-flops................now quietly creeps off again!

Sally
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Yes, I do as well. I usually wear my great walking shoes, Merrill Ventilators:
    http://www.onlineshoes.com/search_re...+Ventilator+II
    They have lots of good cushioning and a great supportive arch, and good tread.
    I rode 40 miles yesterday in total comfort.

My pedals are simple MKS Touring pedals (slightly wide):
    http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/web...aps/14020.html
    and I do use just powergrip straps on those to keep my feet from slipping when raining or to get extra pull-power when I want (no cages or clips or clipless).
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's interesting -- we're both riding in Merrills, too. I don't recall what kind but they may be Ventilators from about three years ago. They're wearing out (mine especially) which is one reason why I'm looking for something new.