Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

OT: Just what every new mom needs!

To disable ads, please log-in.

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

That is.....strange. It would feel really weird hanging my child up on the toilet door.

Could you imagine if someone forgot and left baby on the door? Another person walks in, there's baby, hangin' out.....

That thing is hilarious. I'd like to see the looks you'd get when it's unwrapped at a baby shower.

Unbelievable!

Now that I am a decade "past it" even as a biological possibility it gives me a new angle to my "foundling fantasy"

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

While funny to the point of ridiculousness, it is also incredibly sad.

One of the "jargon-edu-speak" words in my profession (I teach teachers of young children - 0-5) is the "containerisation" of children.

We put prop them in car seats, in high chairs, surrounded by pillows... we immobilise them in walkers, in saucers... we hang them to immobilise them in jolly jumpers and now this keeper.

It appalls me at how many of these things we get so we can "do" to our babies... in their best interests!?!?! HUH!!!

Infants are born wise and we dumb them down - both physically and mentally ... they know what is best for them and they grow and explore at their own pace and we rip all power from them and do things to them, rather than working alongside them.

Infants and toddlers should not be made to sit before they can reach that position themselves... they should not be made to take weight on their legs and hips until they can pull themselves to standing.

I ask you... is there anything more ridiculously stupid than teaching a healthy baby to walk?

Rant over... Raven slips off her soap box and sidles away...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

One more form of Baby Bondage... just what the world needs.

My boyfriend leaves his daughter with his ex wife during the day. They're terrified that their darling 3 year old daughter will have problems with hyperactivity. I discovered that the ex wife's idea of watching the baby was to either immobilize her in some way (like Raven mentioned above) or to let her trash the basement while Mom sat on the couch and knitted. No wonder the poor kid's hyper - her natural exuberance and curiosity and childlike energy has no outlet.
    Aperte mala cm est mulier, tum demum est bona. -- Syrus, Maxims
    (When a woman is openly bad, she is at last good.)

Edepol nunc nos tempus est malas peioris fieri. -- Plautus, Miles Gloriosus
    (Now is the time for bad girls to become worse still.)

Kitsune06 Guest
    Raven and Miz Gnosis,
    I've been thinking the same things, and whenever I say anything on them, I'm always shushed, b/c mom doesn't want to deal with her energetic, curious, rapidly growing podling, and would rather stick it in a baby swing for a few hours so she can watch TV or whatnot. In the interest of nurturing their babies, the whole of cozy SUV society smothers and immobilizes their babies, protecting them from nature!

*stands huffing for a second, then steps off Raven's soapbox and sneaks away*

I want to hug you guys.

Yeah! More TV watching!

I have a 10-month old and I can barely keep up with her. And I'm a very active, fit mom. I always wondered how sedentary parents took care of their children. Now I know. I'll have to get one of those baby hangers so I can watch some TV. I'll have to go buy one first, though.

You can just tell from your avatar that your little squirt is an absolute livewire. Adorable too!
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

I do not even have the words to describe how wrong this device is. Ugh.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

It sort of reminds me of those bouncy things you could hook up in a doorway. (I never went for that, either). Kid would hang down in seat with springs and was able to bounce up and down. Guess that would expend some energy.

I do have to say that I wish they had some of those baby seats in the bathrooms when mine were little (you see them in some public restrooms these days--like a little high-chair). Trying to use the restroom while also trying to keep the little darling from crawling under the door is definitely a acquired skill!

Don't think I'd go for the hanging baby trick, though!

Now a velcro wall, that's different! (Just kidding)

My son would much rather be outside than watching TV! Guess he's "hyper", huh? I think these days it's easier to medicate than to allow the kids to run around outside and be kids (the horror of allowing your kids to be kids).

OK, jumping off my soap box now.
    Whoever said last man standing wins never asked a girl to play!

I have links/references I can post if anyone wants to read what researchers and infant/toddler experts are saying.

Alot of what is being said currently about "containerisation" comes from the research coming out of the Pikler Institute in Budapest (Hungary). Although there are some aspects of the way they look after the orphans in their care I would challenge... the full attention they give to these very young children, and the way in which they respect the child's physical development and knowledge about how the body grows and how to "handle" (that is, hold, lift a shoulder, pick up, etc) babies is just stunning.

And so obvious and sensible... and yet look what we do to our babies.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Quote Originally Posted by ladyfish
    I do have to say that I wish they had some of those baby seats in the bathrooms when mine were little (you see them in some public restrooms these days--like a little high-chair). Trying to use the restroom while also trying to keep the little darling from crawling under the door is definitely a acquired skill!

Don't think I'd go for the hanging baby trick, though!
    Considering how nasty some bathroom floors are, I can see hanging the kid from the door while you pee could be a reasonable action!

Didn't a lot of Native American tribes swaddle babies onto boards and hang them from trees for the first few months? Well, not for months at a time! LOL

Pooks

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”