Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shorts & TE Inventory

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok so a few things here...

1 - is it just me or does TE's inventory on shorts/jerseys seem a bit low? I'm guessing (more like hoping) this means the 2007 goodies are soon to arrive!

2 - more importantly....I admit it. I do really. I *hate* black shorts. Ugggh, so boring and drab. yes I'm one of those strange women who rarely, if ever, wears black slacks/skirts/jeans. If they made them in something other than black or dark blue I'd get the Shebeest Triple S or Sugoi Flex shorts - the chamois on these look sooo comfy, but alas, they only come in black or dark blue to my knowledge.

So my question is....I've seen some very pretty looking Castelli Donna Shorts & Louis Garneau power shorts right here on TE, love the colors on each - they are expensive but are they any good? I have no problem spending $150 on them, but only if they would be good for 100 mile rides or 8 hours on the bike.

I already have a pair of cheaper sugoi's in light blue which are OK for short rides, as well as a pair of team MTBchick shorts which I like, but are no longer available in my size.
    Last edited by Cassandra_Cain; 08-31-2006 at 07:08 AM.

shorts---

i LOVE my Garneau Power shorts with ergozone chamois-(crazy looking but awesome chamois)-
    but my 'thing' is i like 'em LONG in the inseam,(which in these days of short -shorts is increasingly hard to find!) aaarrrggh. and they are perfect. but they are black which suits me fine . i tried a pair of pro shorts with pro-graphics they looked cool in catalogue I put them on and yiikes the graphics made my hips and thighs look insanely wide. eeek.return to basic black. phew.i did notice the power short comes in black/white combo...

now i'm a convert to bibs as well (SO COMFORTABLE!)but sure wish the few womens' bibs out there had longer inseams!--i'm making do with mens' bibs..

anyway my 2 cents...

Hey grrl - there may yet be hope for those of us non-black-wearing-gals, ok fine, hope for me

Anyone else familiar with the Castelli Donna Shorts & Louis Garneau power shorts ?

In my dream world, bike shorts with awesome chamois's (chamii?) come in camouflage and earth tones...
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Castelli $80 short with blue and red

I have a couple of pairs of the Castelli 80 shorts and I like them fine - I rode 480 miles in 6 days in them (with a break from Perlizumi shorts one day). They worked as well as any for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga
    In my dream world, bike shorts with awesome chamois's (chamii?) come in camouflage and earth tones...
    OMG - you and me both, I'm all about browns/khaki's/olive....just no black please~!@

Quote Originally Posted by spokewench
    I have a couple of pairs of the Castelli 80 shorts and I like them fine - I rode 480 miles in 6 days in them (with a break from Perlizumi shorts one day). They worked as well as any for me.

Those are a bit different than the ones I was looking at, but then I don't have any experience at all with Castelli. Good to know you like them nonetheless.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    The nice thing about black shorts is that they totally hide any cellulite/oatmeal texture! Something us "mature" gals love.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I got some Castelli Y-pro2 women's bib-shorts last year from Sierra Trading Post. They are great. I like the chamois, very comfy. I liked them so much, I bought 3 pair! Hey, they were on closeout for about $75, a whole lot cheaper than $129 or more. (One, I haven't taken the tags off of)
    However, some minor problems have cropped up: One...well, it's not a problem with the shorts...it's my problem...the sizing runs SMALL...so I had to order one size up over my usual size. The other is a tread on one of the legs has come undone and I need to re-stitch it so it doesn't completely unravel. Really a P.I.A. for such a "high end" short. There is a double row of stitching, so the hem hasn't completely unraveled, but it's annoying.
    But...if you're looking at the Castellis and it's $150 for shorts or $130 for the bibs, I'd opt for the bibs, and not just because they're cheaper.

I have experience with the Castelli YPro3's, both the bibs & the shorts, & the Louis Garneau power shorts. The chamois have some similarities & some differences. They are a fairly stiff chamois in both brands. The LG chamois is thicker & seamless. The Castelli chamois has seams, which bother me at times. The inseams on the Castellis are much shorter than the LG Power. The fit on the 2 brands is very different. Castelli is made for a taller rider, at 5'2" they are kind of big on me. The straps are too long on the bibs, but the fabric molds around the waist well so they stay up that way. They still feel a little baggy around the butt, even with a size small, which is a size smaller than their size chart recommends. The LG Power shorts have great fit, and lots of panels that mold to the body well. They are one of my favorites right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga
    I think you camo girls would be inclined to like these:
    http://www.trashycat.com/catalog/catalog.html

In "real life" I'm the exact opposite - virtually everything I own is black. However, I can see the benefits of not being gothy whille out on the bike so my shorts are the only black cycling gear I have. Imagine my friends' shock the first time they saw me in a fluorescent yellow jersey - I wish I'd had a camera!
    Aperte mala cm est mulier, tum demum est bona. -- Syrus, Maxims
    (When a woman is openly bad, she is at last good.)

Edepol nunc nos tempus est malas peioris fieri. -- Plautus, Miles Gloriosus
    (Now is the time for bad girls to become worse still.)

Quote Originally Posted by Grog
    I think you camo girls would be inclined to like these:
    http://www.trashycat.com/catalog/catalog.html
    Hi - no kidding, those are cute - very earthy

The only thing I am not sure of, is if the chamois on these shorts is comparable to those on the Sugoi Flex one's. That (the sugoi chamois) is probably the best i have ever seen - no squishy bunching up - just perfectly solid support.

Another nice thing about black shorts is that they don't show dirt or discoloration of the seat. Many years ago I had a pair of non-black shorts. They looked good for the first couple of rides, and then they looked awful, ending up with a huge discolored spot on my butt. What caused it? I have to assume it was dry transferring from the seat, or...

For me? Black shorts only!
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

2 - more importantly....I admit it. I do really. I *hate* black shorts.

If you're looking for colored shorts, try http://www.velowear.com. Their Avanti short comes in 7 colors. I got purple.