Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Tubes

Tubes

To disable ads, please log-in.

When we were at an LBS my husband asked if you could buy heavy-duty tubes that are harder to puncture and they said yes. I've also seen reference to "slime tubes."

Which is better?

Are there any drawbacks to either?

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

I think the main drawback is they are heavier. I've always used slime, it's dayglo green which makes a puncture easy to spot when you repair the tube (the slime fills the puncture and seals it up). It can make an awful mess if you over-inflate the tube to bursting (my DH did this once in a bike shop that had the super fast automatic air pumps).
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." -- Bill Nye

By "heavier," do you mean so much heavier that I will actually feel the difference when I'm riding?

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

I've never really noticed it, my husband insists he can. I only use them on my city bike, which doesn't have quick release and is therefore a total PAIN to change flats on.
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." -- Bill Nye

I just had heavier tubes put in my road bike & do not notice any difference at all. They might be measuring grams - and I'm not a "weight weinie." I figure I could skip dessert for a couple of days & lose the same amount of weight.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid