Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Helmets & Cost

Helmets & Cost

To disable ads, please log-in.

Helmet prices run the gamut, what is the difference in a Bell helmet you get for $20 at Wally World and The Giro you pay 5x that for at the LBS?

I know they are made by the same company and have to meet certain standards to be sold.

They meet the same crash standards. The more expensive ones have more vents, and will have better finished fit pads, straps, and retention systems.

The more expensive helmets are probably lighter (in weight) as well. But again, you're looking at comfort here. Given that they've both have Snell certification, either should be fine.

Here's a link that might be interesting as you're looking at helmets: http://www.bhsi.org/

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

I just bought a Bell Citi for 40 bucks. I was comparing it (by mistake) to a nearly 200 dollar helmet. The 200 dollar helmet, like others said, was more aerodynamic, had more venting and had beautiful swirls of color, but it had less padding inside and sat hard on my head.
    The LBS owner said that either would protect my head the same way.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Thanks guys,

Not looking diligently at this point. But If I run across one where the colors match my new bike, I want it.

All helmets fit differently depending on your head. So the priority should be to find one that feels good.

Now, at equal comfort, I have had two Bell helmets. The main difference is vents (hence head temperature) and weight. I found weight to make a big big difference, especially for long rides (2+ hours). A lighter helmet caused less neck pain. The fact that my head remains cool (in 15 deg Celcius + temperatures) also means that I get less tired, especially when climbing.

I also have a Giro Atmos helmet, their top-of-the-line thing. Very light, but I really dislike the adjustment mechanism. And it just doesn't fit my head right. It's now on my dear partner's head, and it fits him well. My Bell Sweep-R is half the retail price of the Atmos and fits me much better without being that much heavier. And the closure system works better.

As far as protection there is little difference a $30 helmet will protect your head as well as the $200 helmet. So I always tell folks no excuse not to wear a helmet especially if cost is a factor. Only difference is style, comfort and function and maybe some "bling" factor built in. The more expensive helmets have large air vents maybe nicer styling and colors. That's it.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

The more expensive have more/larger vents to suck in more rain/insects!

Here's my baby- it is supposed to commemorate Lance's seven TDF victories. There is also a black/yellow/white version which he wore on the last day, to Paris.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

SouthernBelle "what is the difference in a Bell helmet you get for $20 at Wally World and The Giro you pay 5x that for at the LBS?"

I know I'll catch heck for this but....your LBS gives more back to the local cycling community, that's why I've yet to set foot in Wally World.

Yes, it's an expensive sport, there are deals out there. I got my last helmet at the Velo Swap where I got a 100.00 helmet for $20.00 brand new in the box and the money went to the Velo Girls bike club. The helmets before that...caught the sale when the new models came out.

Last years color protects my brain just as well. Bike swap meets, LBS sales, online lots of ways to save a buck or two.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I don't like buying the super pricy helmets (even though they are gorgeous) because I've had two accidents where my helmet hit the ground hard and had to be thrown out. Nothing like tossing a $150 helmet to ruin your day, on top of your injuries! I'd much rather toss a $30-40 helmet and can do so with no remorse, no temptation to say to myself "I didn't really hit the ground that hard, maybe I'll just keep wearing the helmet." It's just not worth taking chances with my noggin!

Emily, who is in the market for a new inexpensive helmet after her most recent accident, but not at Wally-world
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

HEy.. so my helmet is like 10 yrs old. Is it true what they say about the styrofoam degrading and needing to upgrade every 4-5 yrs?

Quote Originally Posted by roguedog
    HEy.. so my helmet is like 10 yrs old. Is it true what they say about the styrofoam degrading and needing to upgrade every 4-5 yrs?
    YES!
    Bork Bork, Hork Hork!!

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc
    I don't like buying the super pricy helmets (even though they are gorgeous) because I've had two accidents where my helmet hit the ground hard and had to be thrown out.
    To my knowledge, manufacturers (Giro & Bell at least) have a return-policy on helmets that have been in accidents. They will usually replace them for about 30$ as long as you bring them back to them. I think it's their way to answer your concerns and to investigate how accidents damage helmets.

I have never been too concerned with styrofoam degradation (from just being shelved away) but I am quite sure that in a 3-5 years timeframe your helmets will get a lot of shocks that might accumulate and cause safety issues. So I'd rather be safe than sorry...

YES! I just got rid of my 8 year old helmet and bought a new one. I looked under the plastic and around the edges of my old one and could SEE where the styrofoam was "evaporating" away! EEEEK!

Now I will replace every 3-5 years. If mine was so degraded I could see it at 8 years, I imagine it was degraded at 5 too but I just didn't see it.

That 3-5 year timeframe is probably legitamate.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson