Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Helmets & Cost

To disable ads, please log-in.

Fredwina "JuJu, you may want to wait, since the 2007 colors should be arriving shortly "

...which means the 2006's will be on sale
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Eew, it looks like some kind of cockroach!! Must be aerodynamic, though. I wonder what one of those costs. I'm guessing over $200.
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

I just got a red Giro Pneumo for half price ($70). I think it was last year's model because the sticker inside said Sept05. It was high on a shelf so I pointed to it and told the sales guy that I wanted the red "Noo-mo"
    He said it was pronounced "Nee-mo"
    I told him I'll pronounce it that way after my next bout of Nee-mo-nia.
    Last edited by Bluetree; 09-01-2006 at 03:15 PM.

Just a head's up: REI is having their Labor Day sale, and both the Giro Havoc and Bell Furio are 25% off through the 4th:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Sear...1&query=*&sc=0

Now, do I want a road helmet or a mountain helmet? I think they're both very pretty and would work fine for me. Is it better to wear a road helmet on the trails (which I've been doing), or a visored helmet on the road? I will probably go with the Havoc if they have my size as it appeals to me a bit more, people here like it, and it's ponytail-compatible (and I'm growing my hair!)

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

You could pop the visor off the Havoc.
    Nanci, the Las "roach": is $149, Apparently, not a lot of folks are rushing to look like Prymaat Conehead

Hey speaking of color.. umm.. silly question

Do black or or dark colors make it hotter on your head?

Right now I've got a predominantly white one but I really prefer darker colors.

Kitsune06 Guest
    DGF and I have Giro Skylas... got 'em for about $29 (I think?) from nashbar on sale. Comparing 'em to my old, cheap bell helmet (replaced because it's been damaged enough... no 'definitive' crashes, but lots of collateral damage) they sit a little harder on the head, but are a little lighter and definately breathe better. No idea on the 'do dark helmets feel hotter' question. I've always had a black helmet... I'd think they might because all the cooling you'll feel is air rushing over/through the vents, and if the surface of the helmet is in the sun, it'd be like trying to suck cool air through the vents of a hot car *glares at stupid dark car with no A/C* but I could be wrong there.

I'd rather have a cheap helmet that protects my little skull than something overly expensive for the very reason that if it's way expensive, I'd look at it after crashing and go "Geez... it'd be a waste to THROW IT AWAY.... It doesn't look TOO bad.... even that crack there could be superglued..." or some other nonsense.

Besides...
    I think the skylas are sorta sexy on the right model. =)

Well, I went to REI today and tried on the Giro Havoc. The size medium fit like it was made for me, and what a difference from the ultra-cheapie Specialized WSD helmet I've been wearing (my emergency backup helmet)! Wow, I love this helmet already!! They only had the silver color in the store so I went online when I got home and ordered the blue/silver to be delivered to the store (which makes the delivery free!) Can't wait to get it!

And Fredwina is right, I can remove the visor for the road - but I probably won't. I honestly don't care about things like that. After all, I'm riding a Bike Friday. I can't care about what people think. I kinda like being different, anyway!

Emily

P.S. I also found a great Shebeest blue sleeveless jersey in my size on the clearance rack at REI - with the extra 50% off it was down to $12 something. Couldn't resist!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily, I wear my Havoc when I'm riding my Friday, too!

Interestingly enough, the less expensive helmets, which are shaped more "round" than aero and also have more surface contact area (fewer vents) have proven safer in crashes. The science behind it is that there are certain higher-end helmets that because of their shape "snag" on the road when you crash, increasing your likelihood of a neck or spinal cord injury.

http://www.helmets.org/ventsqua.htm

Emily, one reason why most road riders don't use visors is that it forces you to raise your head/hold your neck even higher. But, the market seems to want visors on road helmets which is why you see removable visors on many helmets, including some higher-end ones like the pneumo (New-Mo).

Regarding color, I don't think dark helmets are hotter, but they are definitely less visible. I personally wish helmets didn't come in dark blue or black, but that's just one of my Safety Jane-isms.

Hey, the Atmos is coming in pink this season!!! I should have mine this month.

So much for my beautiful new black Giro.

Velogirl,
    I think the dark helmets are seen as "cooler" Fashion wise. Plus, They are neutral Color wise, so they won't clash. I prefer Whites and slivers, but I am a sucker for red and purple....
    Southern Belle,
    You can always get another helmet, Like BCIPam and I have said, They are an item that you should more than of. Which is why I prefer the $70-$100 ones vs the $200 ones

Talking Helmets

I think all of the above information is great.... but I will add a couple of notes. When was the last time that someone at Wally World could actually help you make a decision and give information about fit? Although Bell/Giro do offer a crash replacement policy, most helmet menufacturers offer the same. I wear Louis Garmeau helmets, and they offer not only te same policy but great support as well!

Remember that when we support local business, we in turn get support back in many different ways. Wally World may sell many bikes or parts, but simply does not have the experienced staff to help you when the going gets tough. If we want to be able to have support with whatever our hobbies are, then we need to support those businesses!!

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme
    I think all of the above information is great.... but I will add a couple of notes. When was the last time that someone at Wally World could actually help you make a decision and give information about fit? Although Bell/Giro do offer a crash replacement policy, most helmet menufacturers offer the same. I wear Louis Garmeau helmets, and they offer not only te same policy but great support as well!

Remember that when we support local business, we in turn get support back in many different ways. Wally World may sell many bikes or parts, but simply does not have the experienced staff to help you when the going gets tough. If we want to be able to have support with whatever our hobbies are, then we need to support those businesses!!
    For Pete's sake, I used Wal-Mart as a lowest end price point comparison. No body here expects staff assistance there and I don't believe they actually do carry a wide assortment of bike parts. To be honest I don't go in there often.

On the other hand, simply because a bike shop is local and privately held does not guarantee good or even competent service.

When a simple question is asked, it is not a call for a lecture on social responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredwina
    Velogirl,
    I think the dark helmets are seen as "cooler" Fashion wise. Plus, They are neutral Color wise, so they won't clash.
    Yup! Same reason why folks wear black jerseys and black jackets. Again, just one of my pet peeves (and I own a couple of black jerseys because they're "cooler" looking.