Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

New rider wants to commute

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I want to commute the 2 miles to work almost everyday...only thing is I can't get a handle on the type of saddle I should get. I've got quite the booty!

I've got a Schwinn touring bike. Right now I have this wide hard plastic thing that has been adjusted and readjusted by the bike guy down the road. I'm a little broke, but my butt is killing me so someting must be done.
    Last edited by rosierings; 08-29-2006 at 01:15 PM.

My bike shop guys say they have never been able to anticipate what saddle people will like. It's a trial and error thing - but sounds like you want something at least a little softer! However, it's *where* you hit, not what you hit, that counts the most. If you're wide, I s'pose the saddle will need to be a bit wider - and you might see if there's an "entry level" women's saddle that will be contoured more to our buttbones, but even that is no real sure thing... some women prefer men's saddles. (Mine's generic, which means men's I suppose... )

Quote Originally Posted by rosierings
    So I want to commute the 2 miles to work almost everyday...only thing is I can't get a handle on the type of saddle I should get. I've got quite the booty!

I've got a Schwinn touring bike. Right now I have this wide hard plastic thing that has been adjusted and readjusted by the bike guy down the road. I'm a little broke, but my butt is killing me so someting must be done.
    Since you are on a budget, I would suggest you try buying a used saddle.
    I just was on ebay, there are scads of them.

Go to the teamestrogen "favorite saddles" forum and read what we've all said.
    your LBS guy is right, they can't predict what kind of saddle a person is going to want; but if you go with the right outfit (like http://www.wallbike.com, Wallingford bikes, they will have a return policy.

And a big welcome to TeamEstrogen! why don't you introduce yourself in the "introduce yourself" thread so we can all get to know you!
    Mimi
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.