Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question for anyone who has had bowel surgery

To disable ads, please log-in.

On a previous thread I discussed some ongoing intestinal issues. Today I had a colonscopy and it was discovered that I have a large mass in my colon. The mass has been causing the bleeding and elimination discomfort. I have several tests scheduled and then I'm going to have surgery. I spoke with the surgeon briefly and he is planning on excising the mass plus some bowel, sewing the bowel back together. He mentioned I will probably be off work for 2 - 3 weeks which sucks but I'm also assuming that means off my bike for an even longer period of time. I will be meeting with the surgeon on Thursday to further discuss the surgery but has anyone out there had similar surgery and if so, how long was your recovery etc. This whole thing has me very depressed right now. I really dislike surgery and definitely any hospital stay. I am so hoping this is an out-patient procedure. I rather be miserable at home but then I start thinking about how is it going to be to use the restroom etc. God please, no bed pans, Please! Questions, questions... OK I'm freaked out!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Hey BCIpam -
    I can't help with the colon surgery question - but I wanted to let you know that I'm sending wishes your way for good results, comfort, and fast healing.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Hi Pam -- please don't be scared, a positive attitude is so important for healing. I don't know the answers to your questions, but I bet the surgeon's nurse knows. Sometimes the surgeon is hard to get hold of, they're awfully busy, and sometimes they minimize pain & recovery issues so as not to get the patient upset.

My husband had very serious surgery a couple of years ago. I could never get any satisfactory answers out of the surgeon, his responses always seemed rather vague, but I could call up his nurse & ask her very direct questions & I would get very direct answers. The nurse has had a lot of experience, I would draw on this to get some peace of mind.

Best wishes as you go forward on this one.

Bcipam, sending wishes your way for healing.

As my Sister Duck on Wheels has shared here she has colitis, very severe case of it. And she rides, puhrty darn well I might add. She did the majority of the epic-brutal-Cinderella ride on a comfort bike.

With her new bike "ruby slippers" who knows what she could do.

She has not let it hold her back though I know it's a challenge, I know you will do well too.
    Last edited by Trek420; 08-29-2006 at 03:37 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Bcipam- My father has colon cancer and had a large mass removed in March. They were able to do it labrascopically (sp?) and he healed much quicker. I believe he was in the hospital 3 days and then was doing pretty good the next week. Everything is a blur, but I believe he was able to lift over 10 lbs within one months time. Maybe sooner. He was out of work for 6 weeks because his work requires he frequently lift 50 lbs or more. He had a ton of sick leave, so he took it.

They were also able to give him this great pain remedy. He left the hospital with small IVs going straight into the colon area and giving it pain medicine. This was so much easier than swallowing pain medicines. The pain medicine was a little ball in a small bag, when the ball ran out he just pulled the tiny needles out himself. This sounds terrible, but he said it didn't hurt one bit and it was great to sleep through the night without worrying about the meds wearing off.

I would see if they are planning to do the surgery labrascopically or if this is an option. It seems to make the healing time much easier and the scars (if that matters) are much smaller. Best wishes to you!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Aggie - thanks for the info. Of course its not really what I want to hear. I absolutely dread any hospital stay. It's the worse part of all this for me. A friend of mine also had this done last year and I think she had a 3 day stay as well. If there's anyway I can go home after, I'm pushing for it.

I'm never worried about pain. After my collarbone surgery I was given pain medication, but never took it. But this might be worse. Anyway thanks everyone for all your well wishes - much appreciated. Can't believe another Fall Season (my favorite - I tolerate Summer to get to Fall) and it looks like no riding for awhile. Bummer!!!!!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Hi Bicam

Sending you good wishes for a speedy recovery.

Carol
    If it's not one thing it's another

As weather goddess, I shall extend the fall for you (or would that just be global warming?)

No info, just good wishes...

Geonz... I would be ever so grateful if you could do just that. Love Fall. Missed it last year as well. Thankfully California also has good (relatively) winters) and I'll be back riding by then.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

So hope all goes well and you amaze yourself with a really speedy recovery. Hope Fall lasts forever for you this year.

Bcipam,
    I am sending well wishes and prayers your way. Contact the surgeon's nurse, as she should be able to answer all of your questions. A positive attitude will help the healing process (I know, easier to say than to do). If they offer a hospital stay, take it. It will help the recovery process. again, my continued prayers.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Do what you can to focus on the positive aspect of the surgery, which is that hopefully once it's done, you will no longer have to deal with the problems you've been having with your colon.

As an Ulcerative Colitis sufferer, I can empathize with you. I hope all goes well with your surgery.

Take Care,
    Kate

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam
    I really dislike surgery and definitely any hospital stay. I am so hoping this is an out-patient procedure. I rather be miserable at home but then I start thinking about how is it going to be to use the restroom etc. God please, no bed pans, Please! Questions, questions... OK I'm freaked out!
    After my neck surgery, they said I had to stay 1 - 2 days. I asked them what the criteria was. They said I had to 1. Walk 2. Pee and 3. Eat. It did all of that 8 hours post surgery, the same day. They still made me stay the night.

Liars!

Turned out to be a good thing. The pain was pretty bad and I was unable to swallow a pill, so the nurse had to grind up the percoset. The percoset made me sick to my stomach, so they gave me zofran (anti-nausea med.) They suggested that I take a valium & a sleeping pill for the night - yeah right. I would have been comotose for days.

I wish I would have taken one or the other. It is impossible to sleep in a hospital.

So, the moral of the story is - listen to the doctors & the nurses. They've probably done this once or twice!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

bcipam,

Did they do a biopsy of the mass? I am assuming that it is benign (sure hope so) since you didn't say otherwise.

I don't have any wisdom to offer as I have been blessed never to go through anything like what you are facing, but I do send you my best wishes for good health and a speedy recovery.

When is your surgery? Please come back and tell us all how you did afterwards (I know you will.)

Take care,
    Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Well just an update the mass is malignant (yes the big "C") and has to be removed. I went to visit the surgeon today and was promptly told they don't take my insurance (United Healthcare Choice Plan Plus) $350 please for the initial visit and I will have to put the full 30% (my share for an out of network doctor) up front before the surgery. So I walked out. Spent the entire afternoon trying to find a surgeon in my area who would do the surgery at my preferred hospital (St. Joseph in Orange, CA). There isn't one. So Plan B and maybe Plan C. I found a doctor, but he operates at the hospital not in the plan. Have to find someone and someone soon. Geez with all the other stuff I have to worry about never thought I would have to worry about my insurance. It's is another world nowadays.

I complete my testing tomorrow and am ready to go... just right now I don't know where that is....

It's funny everything i read said I should see a surgeon and then seek a second opinion. Great I can't even get the first opinion much less a second!!!!

Need to get this taken care, its making me alittle depressed and keeping me off my bike. Not good. not good at all!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl