Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Afraid of Speed

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    14mph is very respectable
    Thanks Electric - I needed that!
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Hey remember that blinky speed machine i passed the other day and it read "13mph"? Today I revved up a bit going by and made it read 17!!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'll bet that, in time, you'll feel less fear when going down hills. I remember when we first got our Trek hybrids almost two years ago, I braked down hills. Now, I love them -- it feels great to go sailing down a hill at over 20 miles per hour. Unless, of course, I know I'm going to have to go back up that hill or another just as steep to get back. Still haven't got to the point that I like CLIMBING hills!
    "I learned what every dreaming child needs to know - no horizon is so far that you cannot see above or beyond it." -- Beryl Markham, Aviation Pioneer

35mph????? I would FREAK!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

I went hurtling down an absolutely straight stretch of hill at 34 on Saturday morning. What an absolutely AMAZING feeling!

I think the most fun though, was hearing DH, who was flying along at 33, from what he said after, hollering SLOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW DOWWWWWNNN! as he followed me down that one!

Karen in Boise

34-35 is the point where I would begin to freak on my old bike. I've only been up to 28 on the new one, so I'm curious to see if I feel any different on the new.

The old one wasn't really built for downhill speed, but there is one hill I know of where I could top 40 if I had the nerve. I never had that much nerve. So now I'm curious how I will feel on the new scoot.

When I first started I wouldn't go over 20kph on the straightest bit of downhill road...

Two years later, I take gentle curves and bends on the road at around 35-40kph, and on straight long stretches I pedal madly til I get over 50kph and then tuck right down and coast at times up to 65-70kph - my fastest speed down hill is about 73kph

Its about gaining confidence in yourself, and in your bike... its about that 'relationship' developing between the two of you and you knowing what the two of you can achieve together.

Going fast isn't for everyone, and I have probably reached my limit (my eldsest sons and my partner take my 30kph corners at over 50)

Just allow yourself time to feel how downhills are and if you feel ok, you will go faster - if you don't like speed, that is cool too.

You and your ride should be about you enjoying your ride - its that simple.

Ride hard - but have fun

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Well, I think we women are programmed to fear speed. I have been riding for 6 years and I still haven't been over 33. I'm OK on a straight downhill (of which there are not many), but any curve, especially to the right, i feel my back wheel sliding out and that's it. I try to brake before the descent and look ahead, but I feel the need to slow down to about 20 or even 15 most of the time. If I'm in the center of the road, I get nervous about cars, but it's actually easier to descend this way. It's really hard for me to understand how you cannot brake when descending; you brake going down a hill in a car. I feel totally out of control! This is a constant issue between me and my husband. In every other way, I am a competent intermediate rider and I lead group rides on some pretty challenging terrain. My average would be a lot higher if I didn't have this fear. At this point, I'm about to give up trying. My goal is to be able to handle the curves and get up to about 35. This is embarrassing on group rides where even if i am in the front and passing others on the climbs, I have to work like crazy to get back with the front group after a downhill. It seems like 27 or 28 is the point where I begin to freeze, even on a straight road.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano
    I think the most fun though, was hearing DH, who was flying along at 33, from what he said after, hollering SLOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW DOWWWWWNNN! as he followed me down that one!
    God I long for that day!
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls