Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Cool sewing machine legs

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday I did a 56 mile ride, on rolling hills and somewhere around mile 40 the toes of my right leg went to sleep and I noticed that when I was coasting down hill I was doing the "sewing machine leg" thing. Highly annoying. Unclipped my foot to try to shake things out. I finished the ride, but I was beat.
    Should also mention that was also having "breathing issues" - not a good ride for my asthma (just finished reading the exercised induced asthma thread). I take Flovent, Seravent, and have Albuterol as needed (used yesterday). So lack of oxygen/ blowing out CO2 might be part of the problem.
    Is my riding posture a little off, time to take me and the bike to the shop to be refitted or what?
    I want to survive the October MS Tour-for-the-Cure ride (LA-MS).

Beth
    Beth

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    So what's the sewing machine leg thing?
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I want to know too!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

sewing machine leg

When your leg gyrates uncontollably up and down like a sewing machine. You can usually cause the effect on purpose while sitting by stressing weight on the ball of your feet. Or at least I can.
    Having your leg do this by itself while peddling is very annoying.

Beth
    Beth

Oh, i understand what you mean.
    I do not know the answer, sounds like muscle fatigue or something.
    you're not talking about productive movement, more like your leg shivering.
    I actually had to do what you described to understand it.

more people with more wisdom will read this soon.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I was having the numbness problem for a while too. I read somewhere to try to keep your heels down, and this has helped me.

Oh! I've had that happen while I was hiking. It was a seriously steep downhill section, and I had a heavy pack on. I was also bonking. (Don't start a 90 mile hike after two weeks on a low-carb diet...) A couple of Oreos made everything much better! Seriously, the shaking stopped as soon as I felt the sugar rush kicking in.

Thanks for the info - will watch my lungs, nutrition..
    And now for more fun, I just found out my Ironhorse bike frame is cracked (took bike in for a tuneup and they discovered the crack). So I'm sidelined until I get a new bike.
    Beth

That is, I believe, called "clonus" and it's caused by fatigue. I was really excited to learn what it was from my sister in PT school. You can google it and find out more... I can usually stop it by relaxing the muscles (but not if I'm **too** tired).

Quote Originally Posted by bmccasland
    Yesterday I did a 56 mile ride, on rolling hills and somewhere around mile 40 the toes of my right leg went to sleep and I noticed that when I was coasting down hill I was doing the "sewing machine leg" thing. Highly annoying. Unclipped my foot to try to shake things out. I finished the ride, but I was beat.
    Should also mention that was also having "breathing issues" - not a good ride for my asthma (just finished reading the exercised induced asthma thread). I take Flovent, Seravent, and have Albuterol as needed (used yesterday). So lack of oxygen/ blowing out CO2 might be part of the problem.
    Is my riding posture a little off, time to take me and the bike to the shop to be refitted or what?
    I want to survive the October MS Tour-for-the-Cure ride (LA-MS).

Beth

thanks for the sewing machine leg explanation, I have never heard of it.

And much sympathy about your bike

My feet always fall asleep - used to be at 12 miles until I went clipless, now it varies. My road shoes are better for prevention than my mtn bike shoes.

Are you on flat pedals, toe clips or clipless?

Keeping your heels down while pedalling really does help, also if you are clipless check the placement of your clips, a little forward or back can
    make a difference. AND don't forget to get off once and a while to stretch have a snack and a drink and enjoy the scenery

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

"Toes to nose 360"

Graeme Street's visualization of keeping your big toe pointed at your nose all 360 degrees of rotation, at least when you are in the drops, has helped me achieve the keep your heels down advice. It may help you also.

I only know of sewing machine knee from rock climbing. When you stand on a tiny nub of rock on a cliff until your leg starts to fatigue (because you can't find the next move), it can start to shake.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72