Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desperado Dual

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho

Desperado Dual

To disable ads, please log-in.

I’m putting this in “Adventure Stories” since I think all double centuries are adventures. Some of you knew that I spent most of late spring and all summer obsessively training for my first double, the Desperado Dual in Panguitch, Utah, which was yesterday. Yes, I finished! 202 miles, ride time of 11:37 (actually, one of the other members of Team Short Girls has a different time, but I'm sticking with mine ), total time of 12:25.

I did the ride with my friends Martha and Rod aka HotRod (Rod came to do the ride with me all the way from Kalifornia!). We had wonderful temperatures and no afternoon thunderstorms, which we were happy about. We did get some clouds in the afternoon, which was also very nice. But...

THE FREAKIN' WIND!!!! ACK!!!!!

We figured that we had about 120 miles of riding into a headwind or head-crosswind. Rod ended up pulling most of that time, but I still had no fewer than 10 mental meltdowns and a couple of "public" ones as well. The meltdowns were also due to us going out waaaaaaay too fast (our average for the first 100 miles was 19.5 mph), which fried my legs; nausea, which I think was from taking in too many calories (more than my body could process…and I know better!); and some intense back pain (which went away—mostly—once my back went numb ). Fortunately my legs recovered once we started climbing and I could start eating again (I was too nauseous to eat for a while) but my back never did. I realized it was numb when I reached back to get something out of a pocket and couldn't feel my hand rubbing against my back. And cruelties of cruelties, a different part of my back cramped up badly at about mile 180, so I spent the last 20 miles intensely concentrating on Rod's wheel in front of me. My back is still numb today.

I also learned that I can’t wear contacts for a ride like that. At the last rest stop, which was at mile 165, I couldn’t see that well and thought my sunglasses had goo or something on them. I took them off to clean them and…I couldn’t see very well without them either. I thought it was my contacts but later that evening when I took them out I still couldn’t see. It seriously messed up my eyes. They are better today but still not 100%.

And other weirdnesses: today the pinky and side of my left hand are numb, and my right knee is super tender and feels like there is sandpaper under the outside edge of the kneecap. Neither one of those areas bothered me on the ride. So both will be monitored, but I’m hopeful that everything will return to normal more or less over the next week.

Martha’s hubby, Directeur Sportif of Team Short Girls, took a bunch of photos. I’ll post some once I get a CD from him. He and my hubby provided great moral support for the ride. They were able to go to the rest stops on the second hundred and hang out with the wonderful volunteers (there were very few double riders, probably only about 50). It was so nice to roll into stops 4 and 5 and see them and be greeted by the team puppy dog, my beautiful girl Pika. Apparently all the volunteers loved her as well!

Since I finished the ride, I got the jersey!

They also gave all of the 200 finishers a neato hat.

We had a great time visiting with Rod. We went to Bryce Canyon and Grand Staircase-Escalante Friday and saw the sights and hiked a little bit. I wish he could’ve stayed longer and ridden with me a little bit here in SLC, but alas! He had to go back to work. Here are a couple of pictures from our pre-ride adventures.

At Bryce, l to right, Rod, me, my hubby

Isn't Bryce pretty?

Doesn't this look like a gnome?

I'm kind of thinking I might try running again...no more marathons...just running...maybe.

I assume you've gotten our cheers via voice mail today, but just gotta tell you again, you rock! We were thinking a lot about you today as we slogged our way up Iron Mountain. We sure can't whine much about our pitiful little climb compared to your doings yesterday. Passed along the news to Ed, Terri, Bea, Cyndi, Sue F, Kim, et al. The freakish strong Wyett and Steph were too fast out of the gate and left before I could tell them, but I'm sure they'll hear soon enough.

Take some time off now, m'kay? A little hot tubbin' and puppy time. You earned it.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

You rock girl! I was thinking about you off and on yesterday, wondering how things were going.

Do take some time off, you've for sure earned it.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Oh, the best part??!!!

This evening hubby made me pasta & chicken somethingorother and we had that bottle of 1995 Story Winery Picnic Hill Vineyard Zinfandel that's been collecting dust in the cellar. Mmmmmm. Followed up with a little port...more mmmm. Now jacuzzi time and then sleeping in my own bed (though I have to say we had a delightful time at Ruby's Inn, which allows dogs in the rooms)!

Goodness ! Congrats on finishing, sue. I really hope your back and other assorted body parts feel better soon.

What an adventure! You DO rock! Are you now a desperado, an outlaw, a duelist? Hmmm.

I always thought she was a rebel.

V.
    Last edited by Veronica; 08-28-2006 at 03:50 AM.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

YAY! I was thinking of you all day, and watching for your report! CONGRATULATIONS! What an achievement. Glad to hear Ms. Pika got to provide necessary Puppy Therapy. Cool jersey! I'm looking forward to more pix. Rest up and let us know how the various parts are doing. L.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Amazing achievement Sue! Wow! I'm with everyone else - can't wait to see the photos!
    Keep calm and carry on...

Yay for you!! I am so happy for you! Come to CA and do a double with us next year - I don't think ours are that windy!

Sorry about that contacts thing. I know sometimes mine get foggy to where you can't see well - I carry a small bottle of the cleaner and extra lenses just in case. I have a friend who had lasik and swears by it. I am too chicken to do that at this point. There was just a whole huge thread on the ultra cycling list serve about contacts and prescription glasses, etc. Not an uncommon problem apparently....

That hand/pniky thing sounds like a pinched nerve - if your back ultimately went numb, I expect there's more pain to be had (sorry) once the numbness goes away.

Very speedy first 100 - your time overall was great for a "first" double. And I liked that you called it your "first" double because that implies there are more doubles to be had....

Take it easy on the body for a week or so - unwind and enjoy some more good wine. You earned it!!!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Wow! Well done! Hope the various aches and pains heal soon.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

Awesome

Here's another one I will never do - 200 miles in one day !!!

I can already feel the pain. Way to go that is quite an accomplishment!

I'm a rebel? Really?

Well, today I can feel my pinky (it's still a little tingly) and I think I can feel that area of my back that's numb a wee bit. I sat in the cruel seat in the jacuzzi this a.m. and by gosh I could feel a jet hitting the left side.

MP, interesting about the contacts thing and endurance cycling. No amount of drops seemed to help during that latter part of the ride or even afterwards. It might have been a combination of the wind and contacts. In any case, it was a pretty big deal problem. Not being able to see is not good. Thankfully I could see enough to focus on the wheel/bike in front of me. My eyes are fine now though a little "gummy" still.

I woke up feeling pretty good today, and after the jacuzzi and about 40 minutes of stretching, I decided to go for an easy mountain bike spin on the singletrack here by my house. Did the climb up, legs felt strong, and I wasn't really tired. Rode across the top and got to the part where you have to ride down into the canyon. There is a section there that has gotten pretty loose and dusty and it has big round rocks/boulders about 6-10" in diameter strung about. Next thing I know I'm flying off the side of the bike and hit the ground--on my feet. But in the process I twisted my left ankle, though not badly. I was able to finish the ride OK and now I'm sitting here with it elevated and wrapped in ice. This is the exact same spot where a gal I know broke her hand about a month ago.

Good thing that didn't happen last week!

Hey Yellow, what sort of contacts do you use?? Are they disposable? Lenses you generally sleep in at night?

Mine are disposable, one month lenses, and I sleep in them every night. Maybe one night total per month I will take them out - but most of the time I do not remove them EVER (don't tell my eye doc would not be happy.)

Anyway, I seem to recall having an issue like that come up on some ride - where everything got sort of white-ish and I really couldn't see. For the life of me, I can't remember what ride that was (I don't think it was a double or the 600k). I generally dispose of my lenses after a double or super long ride because it does seem to take something extra out of them. I generally wear my one month lenses for 5 - 6 week (don't tell), but then after a double or whatever, they may not last a month.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois
    Hey Yellow, what sort of contacts do you use?? Are they disposable? Lenses you generally sleep in at night?
    They are disposable something-or-other. I take them out every night and usually wear them for 4 weeks. I put in a new pair for this ride as I was at week 3.5 or something close to that and I figured it wouldn't hurt to have shiny new lenses.

I was never able to get used to glasses even for everyday wear and don't see myself going that route. I'd do Lasik in a heartbeat if I had the $$ to have it done at some place like UC Davis. Guess I need to start sending you California girls $10 a week to invest in the lottery for me!