Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: runny nose

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a new skill!!!
    snot rocketing....rather nifty lil thing to do I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama
    Of course, you close the non-launching nostril and give a good toot. This isn't for the faint-of-nose. Nothing is worse than a failed launch (ewww!!!)
    My sweet half (who is a male) does not close the non-launching nostril. I can't really explain that, but he just blows out. I could never figure out how he doesn't end up with more stuff on his legs. But now that I think about it, maybe that's why some of the decals on his frame are peeling off...

Anyway, sometimes I wish I could do that too but I can't build enough pressure it seems.

I too, am a snot rocketeer, but I can only launch off the port side. I cannot clear off the right side without honking a loogie on my shorts, jersey, arm or all three! Left side stays clean though. Weird!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

There are gloves made with a surface for snot-swiping (there was a jersey for a while, but it didn't last - marketing issues?).

I can do snot rockets but sometimes it's just a drizzle that won't coalesce properly.

ugghh the eternal runny nose. HATE IT! Mine is especially bad in humidity - like a faucet turned all the way up.
    My bf is a pro at snot rockets, and I can do it if I am sitting still (but I would have to stop every mile that way).
    Since I started using Albuterol, the mucus is definitely worse, and I have been known to seriously botch a spit attempt. I really hope no one saw it - I swear to you I had a 3 foot string of spit hanging from my face
    my solution is a washed-many-many times washcloth (very soft - doesn't scratch my nose), that I shove in one of my back pockets. It's softer than hankies, and it seems to absorb the snot some, so I don't keep wiping it back on my face. My snot happens to be clear and watery - so it just drips, drips, bubbles......have a painted a descriptive enough picture yet?
    I am wondering if Nasonex might help. Now that I have figured out the washcloth solution, my problem is my ears. I get MAD ear aches in temps as warm as 65. Haven't found a good solution for that - and the pain is debilitating. Can't quite find the right headband thing for my little bean head.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    John Lennon, "Beautiful Boy"

The constantly runny nose topic was my very first post on TE (*sniff* so nostalgic! ) For me, it's not really anything I could snot-rocket, just a constant annoying drip. Two things help: Ipatropium Bromide (by Rx) and Cromolyn Sodium (OTC) (I think it's NasalCrom, but I buy the generic) nasal sprays. The first literally dries up the drip, so I have to be careful not to over use it. The second is an allergy med. The combination has been very helpful.

I have rubbed myself raw in the past wiping my nose while running or biking. I'm careful to always have something fairly soft for wiping (like kleenex with lotion) and chapstick put under my nose after wiping. My bike gloves see plenty of wiping action, too. Thank goodness for that "sweat" wiping strip! Yeah, right!
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Ipatropium Bromide
    I read about that stuff when i decided to delve online for some info about runny noses. I at least know what causes it.
    But i don't reckon that it's sumthin you could use every day, week after week.
    Ah well....guess it's part of life and sumthin you gotta learn to live with.

during the middle of spin class last night, my nose starts running faster than I'm pedaling! Thank goodness for gym towels...

JmcG is offline pb&j today and everyday
    Yes, I know what it's like to have a runny nose - I have chronic sinusitis and exercise induced rhinitis. It doesn't matter the temps, if my heart rate goes up, my nose starts to run. I am the queen of snot rockets. I do it in front of the guys I ride with all the time - or else I'm just sniffling which is annoying for everyone and hinders my breathing. I just try not to blow it on anyone, or if anyone is behind me I hold it until I get to the back of the pack. Although, my hubby has gotten plenty of snot rockets his way landing on his clothes, his legs - sometimes he just doesn't clear the way quick enough even if I warn him.....it's not really that gross, right? there are worse fluids to exchange!

I've found that taking an antihistamine (Loratadine 10mg, OTC) helps prevent the umm, excess sinus mucous production.
    As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." ~Benjamin Franklin

Thread drift alert:

Talk about nostalgia. One of my early memories is feeding cattle in the wintertime (probably about 0 deg F or below) and looking up at my grandmother's nose to see a rather delicate drop of clear, well, snot. It was ALWAYS there.

Sadly, she passed on her runny nose in the cold to me, along with the arthritic thumbs. Thanks, Grandma, just enough snot to be annoying, but not enough to blow snot rockets at my siblings. Just, Thanks.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet
    I have tried to snot-rocket, but the results are less than satisfactory. So I carry a big ol' bandana (several, actually) and honk my way to happiness.
    I'm in the bandana camp. And somehow it seldom stays completely in my pocket (either my jersey or my dockers at work), so I'm usually riding or walking around with flapping red fabric trailing behind me.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

runny nose

Rub petroleuim jelly on your nose that usually will stop the runny nose in the winter, but I don't know about during the summer.

Oh ladies, DH loves this forum! When I share new stuff with him, you all make him smile brightly, and laugh, and that's all good!

(I bet he can do snot rockets. Me, I'd likely have failure after failure after failure....)

Karen in Boise

Quote Originally Posted by cherinyc
    Now that I have figured out the washcloth solution, my problem is my ears. I get MAD ear aches in temps as warm as 65. Haven't found a good solution for that - and the pain is debilitating. Can't quite find the right headband thing for my little bean head.
    I have the same problem with my ears hurting in even mildly cold weather, it HURTS! Last winter I got a Pearl Izumi Microsensor Headband - it's nice and wide, and warm, and that solved the problem for me.

Can't say I've ever been brave enough to attempt the snot rocket (dad did his best to instill lady-likeness in his girls ... I'm definitely not as ladylike as he would like for me to be, but I can't do the snot rocket) ... I do occasionally have to spew an entire mouthful of whatever I tried to drink but my cranky old esophagus wouldn't cooperate ... and if I force down whatever I tried to drink, I then have to deal with an increasing amount of mucus in the mouth which I HAVE to try to rocket (have also ended up with the 3' stream of mucus hanging off the face) ... it's either that or end up blowing bubbles