Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am in love with Frogs. (interpret that as you may)

Thumbs up eggbeaters

So, after all that messing around with the Candys, I passed by the bike store one day - I wasn't even planning on going in, really! - and there, on the whiteboard outside the door where they list the unadvertised sales, were Eggbeater C pedals for 1/3 off.

I figured it must be fate - I had told myself that I would try the eggbeaters if I ever found them on sale, and there they were the next day (I never did take Kim up on her kind offer for the loaner set, btw - but thanks again, Kim, for the offer!).

I wish I tried the eggbeaters from the very beginning - they worked perfectly from the get-go. I think the problem I had with one shoe with the Candys was interference of the sole of my shoe with the platform on the Candy pedal. This was remedied for the most part by messing with the position of the cleat on the sole of that shoe. But I had no such problem with the the Eggbeaters, presumably since they have no platform. Clipping in and out with either shoe is a breeze, no need for me to "fine tune" the cleat position.

Two thumbs up.

(My husband, who still likes the Candys, now has my old pair on his Bridgestone.)

Hot spots with Crank Bros.

I just ordered a new bike after almost 20 years with my wonderful custom Basso road bike. Wow, talk about culture shock, although I am fairly current with the MTB, I was sorely lacking in current knowledge on road bikes.
    I am trying to decide on clipless pedals. I have been using Shimano SPD's on Specialized off road shoes. So do you notice the Crank Bros. more so than you may on platform type clip ons, hot spots, etc.
    My bike should be ready in about a month and in June it is on to Bike Virginia...I am sooooooo excited. However the bike shops I talked to before commiting to my "choice bike" let me know I will have a serious learning curve.
    I know this is rambling....
    So how comfortable are Crank Bros. pedals on long rides?

My left foot has never complained about my Egg Beaters, my right foot, well, it hasn't liked any pedal system I've tried, although the problem with my right foot really isn't a hot spot.

LBS guys always insist you need a large platform road pedal to avoid hot spot problems, who knows, maybe they're right. I always had the sensation that I could feel the pedal axle with SPDs though, and never have that feeling with Egg Beaters. Back to my left foot , I've never had problems at any distance, with my longest ride 109 miles.

While doing some Google research on eggbeaters I came across some discussion on hotspots; I think the general consensus was that people who are generally prone to foot discomfort would want to consider moving the cleat a tiny ways back on the sole of the shoe, i.e. not have it right over the ball of the foot. If I can come across that info again I'll post some links.

It's very easy to adjust the cleat position on SPD-compatible shoes, all you need is an allen (hex) wrench.

I use Shimano M037-W (W for women's sizing) - technically they are mountain bike shoes but I likes them. They do have rather thick soles which was probably the cause of my problem with one shoe not clipping in easily into the Candy pedals (which are eggbeaters with a platform), as I had detailed above. When I switched to the plain Eggbeaters (sans platform) that problem magically disappeared, plus I notice more float with the Eggbeaters than I did with the Candys (probably on account of the soles of my shoes making contact with the platforms on the Candys, restricting movement somewhat) - and I like to wiggle my feet around a little bit, so the float is nice, and it might even prevent hotspots for all I know.

I've been using the Eggbeaters for a couple of weeks now and I've experienced no foot discomfort whatsoever, and that's after about 200 miles, including a 58 mile ride a couple of weekends ago and a 68 mile ride this past Saturday. I really really like these pedals!

HTH,
    - Jo.

Thanks for the replies about Crank Bros. It brought up some issues I wouldn't have thought about...thickness of the soles etc.
    Thanks,
    crash

Pedal Mania

I like the combo flat/SPD pedals for riding in Boston. Its so dangerous sometimes, you really have to be clipped out.

Want to try the candies for other riding. But I just can't stand the confusion about different cleat/clips/shoes/bikes. Its taken me six months to get used to what I have now!
    Crediamo in te, bici!

Having been the route of all kinds of clipless pedals with recessed cleats, I can attest to Crank Bros being the best. I use mine for mtb and just love them. Haven't tried the Candy but I think for using about town or on a road ride they would be good -- or any type of riding where you think having a platform would be nice.

Regarding some of the difficulty getting into the pedal -- have you attached your shoe to the pedal and turned it over to see if the sole and the pedal are touching? This is not uncommon with small shoes, but even my size 11 hubby sometimes must trim his soles.

Get out the old Dremel tool, do some careful carving and presto!

Originally posted by SadieKate Regarding some of the difficulty getting into the pedal -- have you attached your shoe to the pedal and turned it over to see if the sole and the pedal are touching? This is not uncommon with small shoes, but even my size 11 hubby sometimes must trim his soles.
    Get out the old Dremel tool, do some careful carving and presto!
    Hi SadieKate -
    I actually tried trimming a little bit off the sole of the one shoe that was giving me trouble while I was still using the Candy pedals (the ones with the platform), which helped a little, but then when I found the EggBeaters on sale and gave them a try, the problem magically disappeared.
    OTOH, my husband has not had any problems at all with Candy pedals. I must have a mutant shoe or something.

I really likes my Eggbeaters!

- Jo.

i ride Eggbeaters and now love them...i wasn't totally sold from the beginning. i was having trouble clipping in, but since have adjusted my cleats and it's perfect now.

the Candies on the other hand....my friend had them & hated them. Mainly because she didn't test them with her shoes. She had to shave the bottom treads of her shoes down in order for them to engage correctly.

I believe it was Mountain biking Mag where i read that tons of pro riders are switching to the eggbeaters. it says a bunch about their performance and the weight of the eggbeaters makes them attractive as well.

Thumbs up

I have Candys Eggbeaters on my touring bike and mtb and love them. I had to shave down the sole of my shoes first, like several people have said, since I have clunky (like hiking shoes) mtb shoes. Once I did that, no more clipping in problems, and I really like everything about these pedals - very easy to use, and the colors are nice too!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Check out the new Crank Brothers Quattro pedals too, they even come in candy colors, even pink.