Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

question about helmets

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okay, this is probably going to sound like a really dumb question but I have to ask. I would rather seem dumb with you girls than ask someone face to face and see the look they give me. LOL

Can you like, hose out your helmet? I mean I have really thick hair and I sweat very heavily from my head amongst every other place. I don't want my helmet to start stinking because those little pad things I am sure are soaking up some of that sweat. I mean my hair is wet when I get home. Even on a short 10 mile ride.

I just don't want to take a chance of messing up my helmet unknowingly, but I don't want to wear a stinking helmet either.

I did a search but cannot seem to find anything as far as washing your helmet out.

well, if rain and hot sweat can't hurt them, clean water won't either.
    don't put it in the washingmachine though!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Dunk and swirl gently in a tub of tepid water. Be aware of getting water between the styrofoam and the plastic, let it drain well and leave it to dry.

Works for me.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Well, DUH!!! I didn't even think about the fact that sweat is wet. LOL

I haven't ridden in the rain yet so didn't think about that either.

Thanks Mimi, and no I wasn't planning on using the washing machine. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DDH
    Well, DUH!!! I didn't even think about the fact that sweat is wet. LOL

I haven't ridden in the rain yet so didn't think about that either.

Thanks Mimi, and no I wasn't planning on using the washing machine. LOL
    It was just a funny thought i didn't think you were going to do that.
    clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

DDH: you may laugh but I actually got the idea here on the board: I take my helmet in the shower with me after a particurlarly hot/sweaty ride. I only use pure soap anyway so I just rinse the helmet under the shower, soap up the straps and pads and rinse everything out. I then hang the helmet on the shower head to dry before my next ride.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

A friend of mine told me to do the following:

1. Get in the shower and get your hair lathered up with shampoo
    2. Set the helmet on your head and smoosh it around so that you get shampoo all inside
    3. Lather up the helmet straps
    4. Rinse and let dry

I thought this sounded a little weird, but asked at my LBS. They asked the Giro rep who said "that's a great idea". Now all the guys at the shop do it. Apparently, the shampoo doesn't damage the foam and will go a long way towards getting rid of the salt and grime.

Cheers,

Susie
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    There are no dumb questions....
    only dumb answers!!
    Just kidding.
    If I *don't* wash my helmet, my blue straps get stained white with salt. It's pretty nasty. So I routinely wash out the helmet under running water, shake it out and hang it up to dry. Occasionally, I remove the pads (they're just held in with Velcro and it's pretty easy to figure out how they go back in), and wash them separately in a little bit of Woolite. The pads will eventually look a bit tattered, but they still work and don't stink. Don't want a stinky helmet!

I've managed to pads in a washing machine and have them come Ok. The only discliamer is they were for a Limar, not a Bell/Giro

Great, thanks girls!!

I was starting to think I was being weird I mean I asked DH and then when we were in the bike shop one time, I asked the guy in there and niether of them give me an answer and kind of look at me funny.
    Maybe it's a girl thing

And here I was thinking of the dishwasher.

Oh wait, that's for fencing masks! (seriously-I about had a stroke the first time Younger Daughter put her $expen$ive$ mask in the dishwasher )

If I weren't in such a hurry to get the helmet off my head, it might actually make it into the shower with me. As it is, the thing stays in the garage... I'll try to do better
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

You should see the salt crust on my camelbak. eeew. I wear a coolmax beanie under my helmet. Keeps the sweat from running into my eyes. I often soak it in ice water halfway through my ride for the swamp cooler effect. I'm sure it is saving some wear on my helmet pads.

And here I've been thinking about rinsing down my bike in the shower. I can just see it now: I'll come home from a long ride, yank the wheels off the bike, yank everything off of me but the helmet, climb in the shower with the bike and helmet...

Would that qualify as loving your bike (and gear) too much, or just plain being cuckoo?
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Helmet Pad Washing

I have the Bell Ghisallo, and I'm not sure how many helmets have this feature, but my pads actually come out so I can wash them. You may want to check your helmet to see if you can take them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga
    And here I've been thinking about rinsing down my bike in the shower. I can just see it now: I'll come home from a long ride, yank the wheels off the bike, yank everything off of me but the helmet, climb in the shower with the bike and helmet...

Would that qualify as loving your bike (and gear) too much, or just plain being cuckoo?
    Sounds perfectly reasonable to me....
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson