Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: MTB Upgrades

Hybrid View

MTB Upgrades

Hi Ladies,
    I'm looking to budget some upgrades for Baloo for next year. I'm hoping to get in 3 races for sure, but mostly just need some extra comfort and can't afford a fs bike.

So, I have a specialized rockhopper. Due to an, umm, unfortunate kiss with the pavement, my left wrist is still not the same and I'm looking to alieve some weight bearing pressure to that thumb pad. So here's what I'm thinking:

suspension seatpost - how do I find out what size mine is? I don't want carbon, thinking steel is better for the rugged conditions here.

new handle bars - I currently have a straight handle bar that's 15 inches long (a little too responsive for me!). I would like a slightly longer bar with a bend to aliviate some of the pressure I referred to above. My lbs cut these down to 15 inches to be by the book on fitting, is there any rhyme or reason on the length of the bars other than shoulder width and preference? I recall some discussion here on degree of bend too and would appreciate any insight there as well. I'd also like to get some female specific ergo hand grips to force my wrist in the right position but can't remember what the brand name is. Anyone know which ones I'm referring to?

Brakes - I want the front brake switched to the right hand to be consistant with my road bike and because of the reduced strength in my left hand. Besides, it just feels right to me!

Tires - I have the standard tires that came with the bike. I know Renee gave me some info on this in a previous post so I'll go dig this up.

I'm looking to spend around $300-400 for upgrades. Is this reasonable? What is the biggest bang for my buck?

TIA!
    Dar

15" wide? You have to be kidding!

Here is the bar width discussion
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...ht=degree+bend

Seatpost size - can usually be found on the frame manufacturer's web site or use calipers to measure it. Your shop can probably eyeball it and give you a measurement from sheer experience.

Brakes - did you have them set up backward on your road bike for a reason? What ever you want is probably fine but don't ever loan your bike to some one else without HUGE caveats and warnings.

USE used to make an excellent suspension post (that being relative to other suspension posts).
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I kid you not! Can I blame that on my mtb crashes?? It's made steep descents very difficult - and dangerous - for me, but boy, can I smoke through tight single track

I bought some ergo grips (not the ones I wanted) and tried to put them on this bar. The bar is so short the grips are too long! I would either have to cut down the grips or move in my brakes - basically put them on my stem. That's too narrow for me....

As for the brakes on my road bike, I had them switched after my accident because I couldn't squeeze the brake with my left hand. And I love it! To me it's much more natural to have the front brake on the right hand. Guess I'm a backwards kind of person - and I like to be different. I heard bikes in Europe are set up that way. I am German you know...

The handle bar thing is one of many reasons I have shied away from this lbs. The owner, who is an accomplished mtb, set up this bike for me, so I would have thought his better judgement would have prevailed. I was a complete newbie - I had no idea about bar lengths and what effect they have. Heck, I'm just starting to learn. Thanks for the thread link, I have already printed it out.
    Last edited by mtbdarby; 08-22-2006 at 08:04 AM.
    Dar

Bar width - riser bars and backwards brakes

I've ridden with the front brake on the right hand side the entire time I've been riding. I set up all my bikes the same so I don't mess up. My husband is a motorcyclist and he set all my bikes up like that from the beginning. Works good for me - it is probably whatever you get used to.

I have ridden with pretty narrow bars cause my shoulders are kind of tiny. But I do have short bar ends on my mountain bike. It is a good place to rest the hands and change hand positions when climbing or just riding along. I tried risers bars once and kept crashing my bike. I don't know if it was because I wasn't used to so much leverage or what it did to my bike but after a valiant try of about 3 weeks, I took that stupid riser bar off and went back to my flat bar. Maybe you can find someone who has a riser bar you can borrow before you go and buy a new one.

I ride with my brakes switched also, not a big deal. it should be relatively easy to do.

With the seatpost, were you looking into a suspension seatpost or a seatpost made of a material that is more forgiving? I really don't think you'll be able to find a nice steel seatpost, just a really crappy cheap one. You said you didn't think carbon would be ok....what kind of riding do you do? XC, downhill? If xc, it sounds like you are more petite, so I really don't think a carbon seatpost would be an issue for you. I currently have a carbon handlebar and have had no issues at all wtih it. Another option you may want to look into though is Ti. Moots, USE, Dean are a few companies that come to mind for a Ti seatpost.

Salsa, I've been called many things in my life but petite isn't one of them
    I'm 5'6', 150 lbs. I'm solid, just narrow shoulders, little hands, short arms and legs. The reason I didn't think carbon would be a good metal is because of rugged terrain at the Underdown here, and I've heard it has more of a tendancy to break where as steel will bend. We had 2 people break carbon seatposts in the race this weekend. I'd rather have a suspension seatpost since I have a hardtail. I'm looking put a little more cushion on this bike without upgrading to a fs.

Oh, this is XC or endurance riding.
    Last edited by mtbdarby; 08-22-2006 at 10:24 AM.
    Dar