Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neck pain

To disable ads, please log-in.

Are you left handed? throw away your mouse! - you mentioned you sit at a computer all day? I used to have shoulder/ neck pain that sounds similar to yours. One of the best things I did was get rid of my mouse and switch to a graphics tablet (I'm a graphic designer so I don't do a lot of typing) -the tablet sits in my lap so I'm not holding my arm up and out all day.
    It had gotten to the point where it was all of the time discomfort so I went to a PT - the best thing they did was have me do a stretch using a couple of tennis balls - put two of them in a sock and tie it shut. lie on the floor with the tennis balls under your back right along your spine starting at the small of your back - arms out to the side. Move the tennis balls up your back stretching several times until you've moved the tennis balls up to the base of your neck. If you can do it without it becoming painful you can slowly raise your arms over your head while stretching over the tennis balls too.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Amy, I was thinking the same thing as Eden. I have an injury from mousing in a non-ergonomic position. My PT says it's more about my neck. Ice helps a lot.

Just an idea. Hope you feel better soon!
    fides quaerens intellectum (faith seeking understanding) - St. Anselm of Canterbury

During tonight's ride I tried a very unscientific experiment: I moved my hands closer together on my mountain bike's handlebars. I didn't have to move them in too much when I felt the tightness in the upper shoulders/neck region.

Dachsund, I'll add another vote to trying wider bars.

-- Melissa

That's a good suggestion about the mouse. I always think I've exhausted all options on this, but I am going to try alternating hands. I can use either one, and have been using the left for quite a while. I do use a 4-button track ball, which is set so I don't have to do that "claw" position to grab and drag things around on the screen. That was really wearing me out.

I have to type a lot, and move things around on the screen. Too bad we can't get one of those huge monitors like the one in "Minority Report".

I have an appointment this Sunday at the LBS to swap out a wider handlebar. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Thanks again!

I think trying wider bars is a smart idea. Also, if the pain is unilateral, it can come from an uneven arm length, so have them measure your arm length and if they are different adjust the brake lever placement accordingly. Also, be aware there are many different bars out there so you may want to try them first on the trainer to find one that feels good, not just in width, but reach, depth, amount of curvature (i.e. ramp), ergo bumps vs smooth,etc. I personally like the nitto noodle the best cuz it has a short ramp and is very smooth, but many women on this board really like the salsa poco bar, which is a short reach bar with ergo bumps.

Six years ago I was off work for one year and told I could not work anymore. I was struggling financially as it was and decided I would get back to work somehow.

The turning point for me was to start riding a bike, which appeared to help immensly.

BUT I could not have got on so well without the help of my chiropractor, six years on I still go but only about every 6 weeks or so.

Yes, it costs money but you cannot put a price on your health.

So hope you get your neck sorted out.

Sally
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'