Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

I commute on a KHS CX200. It's a cross frame, built up with cross wheel/tires, and fenders. I carry a backpack, but I could put a rear rack mounted to my seatpost. I love my commuter. It has a knobby tire because the roads here are awful and it help smooth things out and helps with the gravel. It's still makes for a quicker ride though because they're skinnies. I've found the cross setup to be ideal for the type of ride I have.

I ride my road bike, Trek 1500 WSD. My commute is 40 miles round trip on mostly country roads and/or a 65 mph hwy with a nice wide shoulder (plus some neighborhood and bike path riding). I bring just about everything I need to work the day before so I can stash just a few things in my camel back. I'm looking forward to the day when I live closer to work and can justify buying a hybrid and outfitting with panniers. I'm in the process of cleaning up my old neglected hand-me-down mtb to use for errands in town.
    The best part about going up hills is riding back down!

I ride my current road bike of choice: right now that would be the new Trek 1000 WSD. I don't use panniers, I use a backpack but I don't have to carry a laptop, just change of clothes and lunch. It's also big enough stop at the store for a few simple items. I was riding my Peugeot in the winter with bigger tires but the bike is really too big for me. I"m thinking I may put smooth tires on the MTB and ride that this winter......I just don't want to be on skinny tires on the ice. but it's not winter yet so I don't have to decide right now! LOL
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Wow...so much variety out there!

Thanks for all the information, everyone. I've been commuting on my road bike, but I really don't think it's a good idea. My husband has a rural commute and I'm very jealous! I don't ride through downtown, but I do ride very heavily traveled roads where there is a lot of debris and a lot of construction.

Anyway, I found my new commuter! I just purchased a mint condition 2004 Terry Classic for a great price!! She ships out on Thursday and I cannot wait to meet her! (Yes, I bought a bike sight-unseen...sue me! ) This bike will be both my commuter for now and my touring bike for later (once DH and I get that part of our cycling careers underway).

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968
    Anyway, I found my new commuter! I just purchased a mint condition 2004 Terry Classic for a great price!! She ships out on Thursday and I cannot wait to meet her! (Yes, I bought a bike sight-unseen...sue me! ) This bike will be both my commuter for now and my touring bike for later (once DH and I get that part of our cycling careers underway).
    That's great! I am so glad you found a Terry Classic like you wanted. Hope you enjoy it!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow