Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

What bike do you commute with?

What type of bike do you commute with? Does anyone have a bike specifically for commuting? How does it differ from your other bike(s)?

I am currently in the market for a steel bike that I can outfit with slightly fatter tires (28cm) to use for my commute. I'd also like to be able to add a rear rack for days when I need to bring my laptop home from work. My current bike has no eyelets and will not fit a larger tire.

What type of bike do you all use and what is your commute route like?

I am fortunate in that my commute to work is mostly in the country, as my workplace is on the edge of the city, and I just need to join one "town-road" before I turn straight off into the campus.

So most times when I commute, I use my road-training bike, a Scorpio RA300.

When I have a time trial coming up, I ride to work on my RR/TT bike so I can "practice" on my aero-bars, and do intervals in preparation for the race. Its a Giant TCR.

I would like to get a specific commuting bike in the next year or two - as the younger children get older, I will be using the car less and less (particularly with petrol prices rising). Perhaps one with pannier bags so I can carry my diary and other work with me.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

I'm riding my hybrid to work. It's the only choice I have really. lol
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

My goodwill special. A Ross Adventurer Mixte.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I commute on my Jamis Coda Comp. It's steel, rides like butter, has a rack for my panniers, a bell, a headlight (Nite Rider Trail Rat) and a cateye taillight (t-1000 or something like that). It has 700x28s, and fenders, although we haven't needed them lately, unfortunately. I actually removed the front fender because it kept coming loose. Rain will visit us again, though, and I'll put it back.

It's essentially a road bike with flat bars, and I added bar ends. My commute is 14 miles, about 2/3 through urban environment with potholes and such. Some days I'd like to have drop bars, but I appreciate the flats for getting over obstacles. I have a Terry Butterfly saddle, same as my road bike. Why mess with a good saddle when you find one that works?

I have two sets of panniers, one is a cheap-o Axiom duo that is fine for most commutes. The other accommodates my laptop, it's an Arkel Briefcase. I try not to bring my laptop home very often because that means I will likely do work while not at work, but sometimes I do. The Coda has a triple chainring, but I rarely use either the big or small rings. I stay in the middle, and the seven cogs are just right for my commute.

Oh, and my ice bike is a Dahon Matrix folding bike (26" wheels, looks like a mountain bike) with studded 26x1.5" tires for ice. I don't use it much, but when we do get ice and snow, I'm happy to have it. It folds, so I can easily bring it on the Metro at night, although it's not a small as the 20" folding bikes.

I'd ultimately like to sell the Matrix and get a smaller folding bike, get a beater mountain bike for my ice bike, and add a cyclocross bike to my commuting stable. Then I'd have four commuting bikes, each with a different purpose. I also have a nice road bike, and I'd like to get a mountain bike and a touring bike. I'm a bit bike-nuts.

I ride my mountain bike when I commute. It's a bare-bones Giant Upland, and maintenance is easy (tires are easy to change, etc.) so I don't worry as much about a mechanical problem causing me to be late to work. It also handles well in traffic, not that I have much of that to worry about.

My route is in the city, but it stays close to the river in a quiet neighborhood. It's about a 4 mile ride - very pleasant. I love it! Destination isn't in the best neighborhood, but I skirt around the far end of parts that make me nervous.

Deb

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968
    What type of bike do you commute with? Does anyone have a bike specifically for commuting? How does it differ from your other bike(s)?

What type of bike do you all use and what is your commute route like?
    I commute on an '05 Felt SR81 - a flatbar road bike with 700x25's in the summer, and I switch to 700x28's with reflective sidewalls when the light goes away. I find it zippier than a hybrid, but I prefer the upright position and slow speed control that the flatbar gives vs. drop bar road bikes.
    I have a 7.5 mile moderately hilly commute that starts in the 'burbs and ends in downtown Silver Spring MD, so I have a bit of the ride maneuvering around a city and all its obstacles.
    The Felt has a triple on it...I would have preferred a compact double, and I'm not quite brave or confident enough to go singlespeed or fixed. The bike has a rack for panniers, although I often use an REI singular bag to carry my stuff and I'll just strap lunch to the rack with my (now busted) bungee net. I'd like to put fenders on the bike....but I'm a pretty fair weather commuter, so perhaps not.
    It's pretty much my dedicated commuter, although I do sometimes go out for fitness rides with a friend of mine who also rides a flatbar road bike. My limit is about 45 miles on it...after that, some issues with my right cleat placement that I've been unable to resolve start showing up in my knee. Rides longer than that definitely require the road bike (a Seven Axiom).

Hybrid Xtracycle. It rocks I can carry a bloomin' desktop in it; the laptop is a piece of cake. (Duly note that you shouldn't depend on the kickstand in a downpour and park in a gutter with a small river running down. The computer weighs enough to pull the bike over into said gutter. Fortunately it didn't drown.)

I sometimes ride my Schwinn Racer (1-speed) which has big fenders and a basket. I usually carry the laptop on my back then, for less bounce to the ounce.

I use my raleigh hybrid for when I need to use panniers to carry a lot of books and my folding downtube when I don't have much to carry.

I commute on an early-80s steel Nishiki road bike that my husband converted to single speed. It's a mixte so I can ride it in a skirt, although I seldom do because the wind always blows the skirt in my face. It is a tiny little frame -- way too small for me -- but it was pink and $35 and exactly what I wanted. I put a Nitto Technomic stem and Nitto Albatross bars on it, and a Brooks saddle, and it is by far my most comfortable bike. It was originally a touring frame so it carries racks and fatter tires easily. I used to commute on a hybrid and this is far more practical and comfortable.

Talking Comfort rocks

My Giant Sedona with dual shocks..Heavy yet comfortable even to pick up my coffee from Quick Trip on the way...

Trek 1200 road bike. I commute in the city, so it works fine. Though I had to put kevlar tires on to ward off the flats from all the glass on parts of my route. I don't use panniers, just a medium timbuk2 messenger bag to carry books, etc. I have a cheap plastic rear fender on the back to prevent that lovely stripe when it rains Other than that, nothing special has been done to it. I keep the gear basic. Less to steal off of it while it's parked
    "Only the meek get pinched, the bold survive"

I alternate between my Univega Grand Turismo touring bike and my Bacchetta Giro 20. My commute is only 2 miles all of which is city roads. I have a set of panniers that I use when I ride the Univega and an old backpack (from my college days) that fits nicely on the Giro's high backed seat.

I used to commute on my '85 rockhopper w/slicks, fenders & a rack, then I decided I needed a new bike once every 20 years and now commute on a fixed Surley steamroller. no rack or fenders, forcing me to go light, but the commutes not that long. If I have lots to carry, I can still use the the rockhopper w/paniers. If DH hadn't put me on a bike$ diet, I'd get the redline 9-2-5 specifically for commuting/town for all the reasons twin mentions and keep the steamroller for longer road rides.

and the commuter is...

a steel zini, converted to a single speed. has blinkies fore and aft and a nice holder for my caffiene fix. i like the quiet simplicity. especially nice after a taxing day.