Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What bike do you commute with?

To disable ads, please log-in.

What type of bike do you commute with? Does anyone have a bike specifically for commuting? How does it differ from your other bike(s)?

I am currently in the market for a steel bike that I can outfit with slightly fatter tires (28cm) to use for my commute. I'd also like to be able to add a rear rack for days when I need to bring my laptop home from work. My current bike has no eyelets and will not fit a larger tire.

What type of bike do you all use and what is your commute route like?

I am fortunate in that my commute to work is mostly in the country, as my workplace is on the edge of the city, and I just need to join one "town-road" before I turn straight off into the campus.

So most times when I commute, I use my road-training bike, a Scorpio RA300.

When I have a time trial coming up, I ride to work on my RR/TT bike so I can "practice" on my aero-bars, and do intervals in preparation for the race. Its a Giant TCR.

I would like to get a specific commuting bike in the next year or two - as the younger children get older, I will be using the car less and less (particularly with petrol prices rising). Perhaps one with pannier bags so I can carry my diary and other work with me.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

I'm riding my hybrid to work. It's the only choice I have really. lol
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

My goodwill special. A Ross Adventurer Mixte.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I commute on my Jamis Coda Comp. It's steel, rides like butter, has a rack for my panniers, a bell, a headlight (Nite Rider Trail Rat) and a cateye taillight (t-1000 or something like that). It has 700x28s, and fenders, although we haven't needed them lately, unfortunately. I actually removed the front fender because it kept coming loose. Rain will visit us again, though, and I'll put it back.

It's essentially a road bike with flat bars, and I added bar ends. My commute is 14 miles, about 2/3 through urban environment with potholes and such. Some days I'd like to have drop bars, but I appreciate the flats for getting over obstacles. I have a Terry Butterfly saddle, same as my road bike. Why mess with a good saddle when you find one that works?

I have two sets of panniers, one is a cheap-o Axiom duo that is fine for most commutes. The other accommodates my laptop, it's an Arkel Briefcase. I try not to bring my laptop home very often because that means I will likely do work while not at work, but sometimes I do. The Coda has a triple chainring, but I rarely use either the big or small rings. I stay in the middle, and the seven cogs are just right for my commute.

Oh, and my ice bike is a Dahon Matrix folding bike (26" wheels, looks like a mountain bike) with studded 26x1.5" tires for ice. I don't use it much, but when we do get ice and snow, I'm happy to have it. It folds, so I can easily bring it on the Metro at night, although it's not a small as the 20" folding bikes.

I'd ultimately like to sell the Matrix and get a smaller folding bike, get a beater mountain bike for my ice bike, and add a cyclocross bike to my commuting stable. Then I'd have four commuting bikes, each with a different purpose. I also have a nice road bike, and I'd like to get a mountain bike and a touring bike. I'm a bit bike-nuts.

I ride my mountain bike when I commute. It's a bare-bones Giant Upland, and maintenance is easy (tires are easy to change, etc.) so I don't worry as much about a mechanical problem causing me to be late to work. It also handles well in traffic, not that I have much of that to worry about.

My route is in the city, but it stays close to the river in a quiet neighborhood. It's about a 4 mile ride - very pleasant. I love it! Destination isn't in the best neighborhood, but I skirt around the far end of parts that make me nervous.

Deb

Gt outpost trail, steel frame, slicks, just got it new Mavic Cross Ride wheels. The seat is orriginal 10 years old POS but as long as my butt is happy on it....it's also the same bike I did approx 32 miles (incl to and from BART) with Different Spokes today. The front tire of my road bike was not holding air so rather than skip the ride I rode "the back up bike".

Sure I was in the back of the pack but had a good workout.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I ride an old (early 90s) cannondale road bike for commuting, unless i opt for my rollerblades. i recommend armadillo tires. i ride 28s road. I'll look for a pic. Make sure not to use those older kryptonite locks as a bic pen can break right into them! I think, unless you have the snow and off road conditions mentioned, that you might prefer road tires, but the wider ones perhaps. Hae fun.

Kona Dew. (hybrid with 700c wheels) That's what I'm riding in the Danskin, too.

But next year, it could be a road bike....
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I ride a single speed/fixed because it is so much easier to keep the drivetrain clean. I am currently riding a Redline 9.2.5 which is a basic steel frame tigged and has fenders and a chain guard. I removed the fenders/chainguard for now and I am running 32 Paselas on it. I will have to change back to the 28's I think when I put the fenders on. It also can have a rack. I am at this time using a Chrome messenger bag. I will most likely use a saddle bag which I can use because the loops on my Brooks saddle in the winter. I have ridden many miles on it and have found nothing that is a problem. I have used ss's/fixed even with much longer commutes. They are a cheap build with the use of an old frame/bike. I like the ride of steel. The reason I chose to buy one is because I can run wider tires and have a rack.

I ride my old Trek 2100, modified so that I can carry a bit of weight, when needed. Had a double many years ago, it now has a triple. Had 700 x 23 cc wheels. Now has 28's (a tight fit, but doable, as long as I inflate the tires AFTER I put the wheel in the quick release.) No attachments for panniers, but I have a decent rear rack with a trunk bag. I can at least fit summer work clothes in it...... When I need more room, I pull a BOB trailer behind the bike. I am hoping -keep your fingers crossed for me - that I will soon be able to purchase a used Cannondale T800 at a great price. I'd love to have a true touring bike, but seriously cannot afford to buy a new one. So if the C-Dale fits, at $350, I don't think I can pass it up. I can always upgrade components someday, if I feel its needed.
    Anyway, I guess my point here is basically that you can make quite a few bikes work as commuter bikes. I love my BOB trailer, but sometimes it is overkill, and I'd be better off with panniers. You need to consider if you will use the bike primarily for commuting, or will this be a bike for all-around use? An option that I haven't heard mentioned yet would be a cyclocross bike. They won't haul the weight that a dedicated touring bike can carry, but for commuting, especially if you have rough roads/trails, it could be the right solution.

Lots to consider! Good luck!

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

I ride an early 90's steel Trek 720 hybrid with 28 tires. I got kevlar tires because I got tired of fixing flats. They work--I haven't had a flat since I got the new tires. It's a "women's" bike with a step through frame. That comes in handy because it's hard to haul my leg up and over two fully loaded grocery bag panniers. It's got a rack with a built in bungee cord, which is handy when I haul a cake in to the office.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968
    What type of bike do you commute with? Does anyone have a bike specifically for commuting? How does it differ from your other bike(s)?

What type of bike do you all use and what is your commute route like?
    I commute on an '05 Felt SR81 - a flatbar road bike with 700x25's in the summer, and I switch to 700x28's with reflective sidewalls when the light goes away. I find it zippier than a hybrid, but I prefer the upright position and slow speed control that the flatbar gives vs. drop bar road bikes.
    I have a 7.5 mile moderately hilly commute that starts in the 'burbs and ends in downtown Silver Spring MD, so I have a bit of the ride maneuvering around a city and all its obstacles.
    The Felt has a triple on it...I would have preferred a compact double, and I'm not quite brave or confident enough to go singlespeed or fixed. The bike has a rack for panniers, although I often use an REI singular bag to carry my stuff and I'll just strap lunch to the rack with my (now busted) bungee net. I'd like to put fenders on the bike....but I'm a pretty fair weather commuter, so perhaps not.
    It's pretty much my dedicated commuter, although I do sometimes go out for fitness rides with a friend of mine who also rides a flatbar road bike. My limit is about 45 miles on it...after that, some issues with my right cleat placement that I've been unable to resolve start showing up in my knee. Rides longer than that definitely require the road bike (a Seven Axiom).

Hybrid Xtracycle. It rocks I can carry a bloomin' desktop in it; the laptop is a piece of cake. (Duly note that you shouldn't depend on the kickstand in a downpour and park in a gutter with a small river running down. The computer weighs enough to pull the bike over into said gutter. Fortunately it didn't drown.)

I sometimes ride my Schwinn Racer (1-speed) which has big fenders and a basket. I usually carry the laptop on my back then, for less bounce to the ounce.

I use my raleigh hybrid for when I need to use panniers to carry a lot of books and my folding downtube when I don't have much to carry.