Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food q

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'll have a bowl of Vector cereal and banana before the commute (13km, hills near the end), then some protein powder mixed with water once I get there. First break is 2.5 hours in and I eat lots of fruit then.

I am always super hungry in the morning. The second I get out of bed, I'm ready for fuel. There is no way I can survive without breakfast, unless I'm hung-over. In that rare case, I keep a steady gatorade intake throughout the commute and usually feel ready for food by the time I get there.

Disclaimer: it's socially acceptable to arrive at work slightly hung over on occasion: I'm a student and it's a summer job.
    Last edited by run it, ride it; 08-17-2006 at 06:22 PM.

P and B without the J

I'm an early riser, but don't feel like eating for a couple of hours. On my early morning rides I'll force a 1/2 of peanut butter sandwich down with my morning tea and save the other half to eat when I get to work. It seems to work well for me. I get some fuel for the ride and then a mid morning snack to hold me over till lunch. bikerhen

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I did a little experiment...last night I did not eat supper, really. I bit of yogurt. I just wasn't hungry. This morning, I headed out for my commute as usual with no breakfast. It was one of my fasted commutes yet.

This is not to say that I'm going to make a habit of not eating supper. It just shows that in my particular case, I seem to have enough fuel to ride my commute without needing much. I was hungry when I got to work, though!

I'm a little different than most because I'm currently eating fairly low on carbs except before rides. My dinner the night before my commute is virtually carb free (except for veggies). I've discovered that I HAVE to eat some simple carbs before leaving or I'm too weak to get to work in good time! Lately, I've been grabbing two fig newtons and a big glass of water about 10 minutes before I leave. Then, when I get to work, I eat a normal breakfast (quiche cups, protein muffins, etc). I also commute early to be at work by 7:30 am...and getting up earlier than 5:30 so that I can eat more just won't work for me.

Oh, my commute is 14 miles and quite hilly.

I will echo the sentiment that whether or not you eat, and what you eat, before a ride is VERY personal. You really need to figure out what works for you...and unfortunately, that usually means trial and error!

For me, I like to have a bowl of cereal and coffee before I ride. Once I get to work, I'll have an apple or something. Then, before I leave, I have a banana and try to get some gatorade down. my commute is about 15 miles each way.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    My little experiment was a bust. I was tired all day, and my commute home was slow and I have a headache. I commute 30 miles a day--and I need fuel to do it. While I may have felt fine this morning, I think my fuel deficiency caught up with me.

I will not skip dinner. I will not skip dinner. I will not skip dinner.

i get up at 3.30am.....not really feeeling like food then. My ride to work is 16.5km. I take all my food to work and enjoy eating brekky after a shower and while i get stuck into the workload. On the other hand, if I woke up hungry then an apple or sutmhin would do till i got to work.

My commute from my previous house was 6.8 miles, with moderate climbing for the second half. I ate a somewhat smaller than normal breakfast (cereal or oatmeal) and fruit, I can't have coffee that close to riding time or it's big trouble. So i would get my coffee at work and also, bring something else to eat after i arrived, usually protein. Then I would eat half of a Clif bar before going home. BTW, I know someone who for years has done 5:45 AM spin classes with no food before. She decided to go out for a ride this way one morning last summer and was found by the police, by the side of the road, totally bonked and unconscious (yes, she was wearing a helmet). So, be aware that a little change in what you do may require a change in your eating habits.

10 km commute

I usually eat an english muffin with peanut butter - oj and coffee

and off to work I go. Most of the time, I will take a couple of pieces of fruit with me to eat between 8:30 and 12:00 at lunch. I eat a large lunch and a smaller dinner.